DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
sdirv said:
I don't buy PPV at all, but I use D*'s VOD all the time. Nothing could be simpler.

I also realize that although D* calls it's VOD service VOD.....it's not streaming like is offered by some cable companies, or Netflix. Titles you choose to see must download to your DVR's hard drive before you can watch.
This is probably why they don't call it streaming....I agree with you, I thinks it incredibly easy to use. I was a little puzzled when I 1st saw this thread because I have always thought it was easy to use. I know because of the delivery method it isnt the same as On Demand content from a cable provider, and I'm fine with that because I completely understand the technology behind satellite tv.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Red Orc said:
My internet speed consistently tests at 35 mbps and it still takes forever to download one HD OnDemand movie
Your Internet Provider could be throttling you as well....I have a 6Mb/s connection from AT&T(DSL), and I get very similar results to VOS...1.5 to real time for even 1080p

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Don't forget that it wasnt that long ago that large majorities of the country had access to nothing but dial up speeds. 768kb/s is a huge improvement over 33-56kb/s speeds. Before fiber starting going in for residential installs, most didnt have access to anywhere near the speeds that some providers claim to offer today.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Lets just say that most have to wait to start watching until there is enough of the show downloaded so that the download finishes before playing back in realtime would completely catch up. If someone doesnt like the way the current model works, they have a choice of choosing a cable type provider that can provide more immediate playback of on demand content.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
mikeny said:
I'm not too happy that 'On Demand' Showtime shows I downloaded months ago won't play back now because I'm not subscribed anymore. Give me a break. I was subscribed when I downloaded them. Seems unfair.

Of course, if it was recorded off of the regular Showtime channel I would be able to play them now.
I believe all providers work this way, so its probably a stipulation from the channels, and not D*.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.