DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
The layout is still a complete mess even after the new HD GUI. I had high hopes with some of the screen shots I saw, but unfortunately, what is underneath is still awful.

D* could learn alot from the layout of Vudu and even Netflix.

Much like one of the posters said above, it costs D* money. DVD player broke the other day in a room without Vudu. Wife and daughter wanted to watch a PPV movie through D* but the navigation was so cumbersome they quit trying to find one.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
veryoldschool said:
I'm not sure, but maybe this comes down to one's expectations and DirecTV doesn't download faster than 8-9 Mb/s, which is close to 1:1 for HD.
I thought the cap was a bit less than that.

I wish they would implement a Vudu / Netflix like true VOD system rather than the download.

If they did that and significantly cleaned up the interface, I might actually get a D* PPV. But until that happens, the alternatives will continue to get my money.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
Red Orc said:
I haven't used OD since I updated my router's firmware so I thought I'd try again & see if they came through any faster.
I started downloading an HD movie (Murder by Death) at 10:50 Am. It's 11:31 now and I'm at 56% so maybe the problem was my Netgear router?
Wouldn't get too excited until you try and DOD at night when D*'s bandwidth may be more taxed.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
sdirv said:
A confusing mess??? Are you just adding the channels to your guide, or are you selecting the "On-Demand" menu item?? The "On-Demand" menu choice is very slick and easy to use.........

Not wanting to start anything personal here, but the things you've said lead me to believe that you don't know how D*'s PPV and/or VOD works, and you seem to not want to know. :nono2:
User shouldn't have to figure out how it works, it should be intuitive. I'm fairly technical and I find it a confusing mess. Want to watch a kids movie? Go to On Demand > Kids > movies only to get hit with an alphabetical list of a several hundred movies. Some are already downloaded, some are free, some are pay, and many, many of which are on channels I don't subscribe to.

No listing of what new movies there are, no listing of what's "hot" etc.

The interface is terrible when compared with D*'s competitors. Go to Vudu to see how it is done right. But the proof, at least at my house, is what the average non-tech person chooses to use. My wife and daughter won't touch D*'s PPV, but have no issues with Netflix or Vudu.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
SPACEMAKER said:
The key to enjoying D* VOD is patience. I don't mind the long down load time because I am in no immediate hurry to watch what is offered. I just plan on watching whatever I download the next day.

And I don't understand why people are confused by the HD GUI as it relates to VOD. It seems extremely simple. My wife (who in not technically inclined at all) had no problem finding things to download. Anyone who can read should be able to figure it out with ease.
Show me the easy way to find new release kids movies. Kids movies that I can actually get, ie, they are on channels I actually subscribe to.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
SPACEMAKER said:
Just search by title?
Not exactly the user friendly presentation I'm talking about. I'm talking about browsing to see what new kids movies to see what they may want to watch at a given time.

Again, to see how it is done right, see Netflix or Vudu.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.