DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Red Orc said:
My internet speed consistently tests at 35 mbps and it still takes forever to download one HD OnDemand movie
Red Orc said:
Wired via broadband decca
I'm using a wireless DECA CCK, with a 6 Mb/s internet, and HD varies from 1.5 times longer than the program length, down to 1:1 depending on the program's bit rate.

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
CCarncross said:
Your Internet Provider could be throttling you as well....I have a 6Mb/s connection from AT&T(DSL), and I get very similar results to VOS...1.5 to real time for even 1080p
I'm not sure, but maybe this comes down to one's expectations and DirecTV doesn't download faster than 8-9 Mb/s, which is close to 1:1 for HD.

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Scott Kocourek said:
I downloaded a movie from HBO OnDemand and with a 19 Mb/s download speed took 3.5 hours. I have also downloaded HD movies that I could watch almost instantly. I have a feeling that sometimes the servers may be overloaded, but it could have been my ISP throttling me down too, I would like to know how to check.
I don't know of anyway to know/check whether it's your ISP or the server "other than" try another OnDemand "channel". SHO took me 1.5 times, while HBO was 1:1.
"If" any OnDemand doesn't come through near 8 Mb/s, "then" it may be your ISP.
My old ISP was very overloaded and the 3 Mb/s connection, while it always tested "good" would only be that in the middle of the night. ISPs can "play games" with the tests compared to sustained downloading and from which sites. I could always "pull" a large file from Microsoft [service packs] but couldn't squeeze and SD OnDemand out of them in 12 hours. :eek2:

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
raott said:
I thought the cap was a bit less than that.

I wish they would implement a Vudu / Netflix like true VOD system rather than the download.

If they did that and significantly cleaned up the interface, I might actually get a D* PPV. But until that happens, the alternatives will continue to get my money.
DirecTV seems to put a premium on picture quality instead of streaming speed. NetFlix optimizes [reduces] bit-rates for streaming, where DirecTV doesn't.
"On Demand" is more like "On Request" with DirecTV, but the PQ is the same as with the SAT feed.

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
jcr159 said:
I'm not an expert, but seems to me like the only commonality here is Directv....

I would bet that they are the ones throttling.... especially when it seems like whether you are watching or not affects the download speed... bandwidth is expensive and all...

Maybe they prioritize folks that are actually watching (streaming to abuse the term), and anyone just downloading gets some small amount of bandwidth?

Dunno, like I said, not an expert, but seems reasonable that they cap their bandwidth for any given download, and only give enough bandwidth to those that are trying to watch while downloading...
While DirecTV might have occasional issues, it's in their best interest not to be the choke point, while the ISP has been known to be the problem, and even more so if they're offering on demand too.

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Whoa

The cable company owns the supply medium.
NetFlix reduces bit-rates/PQ to suit the connection speed.

DirecTV has chosen to keep the PQ & bit-rate high.

You don't need to completely download the whole program before watching and you only need to have a sufficient amount of buffer so you don't run out while you're watching.
This amount may be enough even while it shows red, but "YMMV" because DirecTV doesn't control your ISP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.