DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
sdirv said:
I also realize that although D* calls it's VOD service VOD.....it's not streaming like is offered by some cable companies, or Netflix. Titles you choose to see must download to your DVR's hard drive before you can watch.
You only have to download enough of the title to create a sufficient buffer. For those with high speed internet (think 8-10+ Mbs) you only have to wait a short time before you can begin playback. I downloaded and watched an HD movie last night via VOD and I began watching less than 3 minutes after starting the download, and could have begun much sooner as the movie was downloading in faster than real time.

It may not be streaming technically, but it's pretty darn close if you have fast(ish) internet.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
I watched another HD VOD movie last night, and started the playback as soon as it showed up in the list (about 20 seconds). Movie played just fine, and was done downloading 20-30 minutes before I was done watching the movie.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
sdirv said:
I actually said exactly that in the second half of the post of mine that you quoted......:lol:
No, you said that the title must download to the HDD before it can be watched. That is incorrect, or at least, misleading. Very little of the title needs to be downloaded prior to watching. In my case, less than 30 seconds worth.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
Eddie501 said:
VOD seems like something DirecTV has just so they can say they have it. But in reality is almost useless. I suppose it works okay for PPV, but barely at all for all other programming.

For instance, I was wanting to catch up with Being Human before the new season starts on SyFy. And they have episodes 6-10 only on VOD from a 12 episode 1st season. In standard definition.

AMC has big banner for two of their high profile series when you tune to their VOD channel. But only has the first three episodes of season 2 of Walking Dead and the last two of Hell on Wheels. Again, only in standard def.

In fact, most of their non-PPV, non-premium channel content is in SD. I suppose if you want to watch random episodes of stuff on a 27" tube TV then VOD is appealing. For the rest of us, it's just not there yet.
The content is controlled by the individual channels, not DIRECTV.

I agree, though, the content can sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
sdirv said:
You left out what I said AGAIN....here's my direct quote:

"I also realize that although D* calls it's VOD service VOD.....it's not streaming like is offered by some cable companies, or Netflix. Titles you choose to see must download to your DVR's hard drive before you can watch.

Doing THAT is then very dependent on your internet service/speed. Sounds like you've got very slow service. I've got 20mbps service and can select an HD movie from D*'s VOD and after just a few minutes of downloading the progress bar turns green and I can start watching without ever bumping up against the buffer."

You have referenced the first paragraph of what I said, ignoring what was said in the second paragraph twice now to misrepresent what I said.
What part of this says anything other than what I said it did? You said titles need to be downloaded before they can we watched. That just simply isn't accurate.

sdirv said:
Titles you choose to see must download to your DVR's hard drive before you can watch.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
sdirv said:
You're making this personal.....you are cherry picking one sentence from a multi-paragraph post I made on a subject to misrepresent what I said...and claiming that I was being misleading......

I did NOT say that titles had to be downloaded COMPLETELY before they could be viewed.

Go find someone else to screw with......
No intentions of making this personal. If you took it that way, I apologize.

We can certainly move on.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
raott said:
Show me the easy way to find new release kids movies. Kids movies that I can actually get, ie, they are on channels I actually subscribe to.
I think the only thing that makes this complicated is that stuff you don't subscribe to is shown. Otherwise the layout is fine.

I understand why they show you everything, but it can be annoying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.