DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Icon
524 Posts
I don't buy PPV at all, but I use D*'s VOD all the time. Nothing could be simpler.

I choose the browse by channels option which shows me all the channels I subscribe to that have VOD.
Once to the channel I select I can choose movies, series, new stuff, often by genre (like action, mystery).

I also realize that although D* calls it's VOD service VOD.....it's not streaming like is offered by some cable companies, or Netflix. Titles you choose to see must download to your DVR's hard drive before you can watch.

Doing THAT is then very dependent on your internet service/speed. Sounds like you've got very slow service. I've got 20mbps service and can select an HD movie from D*'s VOD and after just a few minutes of downloading the progress bar turns green and I can start watching without ever bumping up against the buffer.

·
Icon
524 Posts
hilmar2k said:
You only have to download enough of the title to create a sufficient buffer. For those with high speed internet (think 8-10+ Mbs) you only have to wait a short time before you can begin playback. I downloaded and watched an HD movie last night via VOD and I began watching less than 3 minutes after starting the download, and could have begun much sooner as the movie was downloading in faster than real time.

It may not be streaming technically, but it's pretty darn close if you have fast(ish) internet.
I actually said exactly that in the second half of the post of mine that you quoted......:lol:

·
Icon
524 Posts
TDK1044 said:
I find the whole thing a confusing mess, and as a result, we don't purchase PPV or VOD.
A confusing mess??? Are you just adding the channels to your guide, or are you selecting the "On-Demand" menu item?? The "On-Demand" menu choice is very slick and easy to use.

TDK1044 said:
I want to be able to go to a PPV or VOD offering and click on it and it plays. I'm not remotely interested in downloading to the hard drive.
It's not exactly click and play......but for me, I click....go to the kitchen to get a beer, and then play. Using VOD isn't any more difficult than recording anything on your DVR and with VOD (depending on your internet service) you only have to wait to watch the selected program until you've built up a sufficient buffer. With true high speed internet,even for HD programming, that would only be a few minutes.

Not wanting to start anything personal here, but the things you've said lead me to believe that you don't know how D*'s PPV and/or VOD works, and you seem to not want to know. :nono2:

·
Icon
524 Posts
Red Orc said:
My internet speed consistently tests at 35 mbps and it still takes forever to download one HD OnDemand movie
Which brings us all back to a conversation I've seen here a bunch....

Although a speed test will indicate your speeds during that test, which is normally a short period of time, there exists a big difference in services and how they are able to sustain speeds over time while loaded with data.

Most providers will test close to their advertised speeds, they have to or their customers would be screaming bloody murder. But outside of that test, while streaming quantities of data (like a movie) over a sustained period of time, where does the speed go?? Some ISP's throttle, some don't, some just don't have the infrastructure to maintain test speeds over time, some do.....it's nowhere near a "standard" out there.

Another issue faced in the marketplace is the perception of the end user of what internet service he has, and that perception is driven by the provider's advertising. I've got what I consider to be high speed internet, 20mbps. There are faster services available. My dad will tell you he's got high speed internet too, his provider tells him he's got high speed internet. He's got 768kbps DSL. I don't consider THAT to be high speed, and surely isn't fast enough to stream movies, or use D*'s VOD in any sort of efficient manner.

But...what are ya gonna do?????

·
Icon
524 Posts
hilmar2k said:
No, you said that the title must download to the HDD before it can be watched. That is incorrect, or at least, misleading. Very little of the title needs to be downloaded prior to watching. In my case, less than 30 seconds worth.
You left out what I said AGAIN....here's my direct quote:

"I also realize that although D* calls it's VOD service VOD.....it's not streaming like is offered by some cable companies, or Netflix. Titles you choose to see must download to your DVR's hard drive before you can watch.

Doing THAT is then very dependent on your internet service/speed. Sounds like you've got very slow service. I've got 20mbps service and can select an HD movie from D*'s VOD and after just a few minutes of downloading the progress bar turns green and I can start watching without ever bumping up against the buffer."

You have referenced the first paragraph of what I said, ignoring what was said in the second paragraph twice now to misrepresent what I said.

·
Icon
524 Posts
raott said:
User shouldn't have to figure out how it works, it should be intuitive. I'm fairly technical and I find it a confusing mess. Want to watch a kids movie? Go to On Demand > Kids > movies only to get hit with an alphabetical list of a several hundred movies. Some are already downloaded, some are free, some are pay, and many, many of which are on channels I don't subscribe to.

No listing of what new movies there are, no listing of what's "hot" etc.
Seems like we have different views of what is "intuitive".....I'm also fairly technical and on first use chose to use the system in a different manner than you.

Goto On Demand > Browse By Channel > (at this point I know what the kid channels are) > Nick

Now I see a menu that lists "Just Added" programs, "All" programming, a list of the top 7 programs on the channel, as well as a HUGE graphic (well it's on my 65" TV) of two of the more popular shows.

When I follow this same process of browsing by channel, I can go to HBO (for example) and I see selections split out by "just added", movies, series, genre, etc.

I guess it's just more intuitive to me, if I want to watch a movie that instead of selecting a list of every movie in the system..that I would want to choose movies by provider (like HBO, TMC). Makes it MUCH simpler.

raott said:
The interface is terrible when compared with D*'s competitors. Go to Vudu to see how it is done right. But the proof, at least at my house, is what the average non-tech person chooses to use. My wife and daughter won't touch D*'s PPV, but have no issues with Netflix or Vudu.
I don't do PPV, but find VOD very easy to use....(shrug). In my home, my wife can barely operate a remote control, can't figure out how to play a DVD...:lol:.

·
Icon
524 Posts
hilmar2k said:
What part of this says anything other than what I said it did? You said titles need to be downloaded before they can we watched. That just simply isn't accurate.
You're making this personal.....you are cherry picking one sentence from a multi-paragraph post I made on a subject to misrepresent what I said...and claiming that I was being misleading......

I did NOT say that titles had to be downloaded COMPLETELY before they could be viewed.

Go find someone else to screw with......

·
Icon
524 Posts
raott said:
Show me the easy way to find new release kids movies. Kids movies that I can actually get, ie, they are on channels I actually subscribe to.
Thought I "talked" about this already earlier today.

An example would be:

Goto On Demand > Browse By Channel > Disney > Just Added

How hard is that????? I mean, you may have to hit the page down key a few times to get to Disney....(shrug). If you don't subscribe to Disney, it shouldn't be showing anyway....so pick Nick, or one of the other kid channels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.