DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
256 Posts
hilmar2k said:
You only have to download enough of the title to create a sufficient buffer. For those with high speed internet (think 8-10+ Mbs) you only have to wait a short time before you can begin playback. I downloaded and watched an HD movie last night via VOD and I began watching less than 3 minutes after starting the download, and could have begun much sooner as the movie was downloading in faster than real time.

It may not be streaming technically, but it's pretty darn close if you have fast(ish) internet.
My internet speed consistently tests at 35 mbps and it still takes forever to download one HD OnDemand movie

·
Legend
256 Posts
wingrider01 said:
how is the unit conect to your internal lan? Wired or Wireless, does not matter what you internet to dmark speed is, what is important is your connection from your inside modem to the target device.

Have 60MB coming in, go into a SB6120 with a 1GB wired connection to my router, the router all has 1GB ports, the switch where the internet connection is, is also 1GB, the onl slow down is the downlink speed to the Directv box which from what I can tell is 100 mb.

Don't do wireless at all, the speed penality is unacceptable for the convience it gives
Wired via broadband decca

·
Legend
256 Posts
Laxguy said:
Holy cowpies! That is forever. Given your overall speed capabilities, something is very off, and I am afraid I don't have any ideas as to how to troubleshoot, but it seems likely to be unrelated to the box or software.
I haven't used OD since I updated my router's firmware so I thought I'd try again & see if they came through any faster.
I started downloading an HD movie (Murder by Death) at 10:50 Am. It's 11:31 now and I'm at 56% so maybe the problem was my Netgear router?

·
Legend
256 Posts
Laxguy said:
I love Netgear, but am no expert IP guy. Yes, it certainly could have been something on the router setup. What model do you have? I have the 3400.

Asides: Quite a BB game last night! Hooo-aaaah!

The British version of that movie is really good. Dinklage plays in both!
N750 DB.
I hated this router until Netgear pushed out a firmware update about a month ago. I t was flaky as hell I had to reset it almost every day because it would constantly drop the wired connections.
12:02 PM and I'm at 97% so I guess I'm down to about 1 1/2 hour for a 1hr:35m HD movie

·
Legend
256 Posts
raott said:
Wouldn't get too excited until you try and DOD at night when D*'s bandwidth may be more taxed.
Not really an issue for me. I'm usually in bed by 8:30PM ,9PM at the latest. Work days I get up at 3:30 AM on my off days I usually get up at around 4:30 AM.
The latest I would be using OD is maybe 7PM and that would only be if I downloaded something when I got home from work and I wouldn't be watching it until the next day or the next time I'm off

·
Legend
256 Posts
raott said:
User shouldn't have to figure out how it works, it should be intuitive. I'm fairly technical and I find it a confusing mess. Want to watch a kids movie? Go to On Demand > Kids > movies only to get hit with an alphabetical list of a several hundred movies. Some are already downloaded, some are free, some are pay, and many, many of which are on channels I don't subscribe to.

No listing of what new movies there are, no listing of what's "hot" etc.

The interface is terrible when compared with D*'s competitors. Go to Vudu to see how it is done right. But the proof, at least at my house, is what the average non-tech person chooses to use. My wife and daughter won't touch D*'s PPV, but have no issues with Netflix or Vudu.
I agree. That is EXTREMELY irritating

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.