DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
Scott Kocourek said:
I downloaded a movie from HBO OnDemand and with a 19 Mb/s download speed took 3.5 hours. I have also downloaded HD movies that I could watch almost instantly. I have a feeling that sometimes the servers may be overloaded, but it could have been my ISP throttling me down too, I would like to know how to check.
I don't know of anyway to know/check whether it's your ISP or the server "other than" try another OnDemand "channel". SHO took me 1.5 times, while HBO was 1:1.
"If" any OnDemand doesn't come through near 8 Mb/s, "then" it may be your ISP.
My old ISP was very overloaded and the 3 Mb/s connection, while it always tested "good" would only be that in the middle of the night. ISPs can "play games" with the tests compared to sustained downloading and from which sites. I could always "pull" a large file from Microsoft [service packs] but couldn't squeeze and SD OnDemand out of them in 12 hours. :eek2:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
veryoldschool said:
I'm not sure, but maybe this comes down to one's expectations and DirecTV doesn't download faster than 8-9 Mb/s, which is close to 1:1 for HD.
I thought the cap was a bit less than that.

I wish they would implement a Vudu / Netflix like true VOD system rather than the download.

If they did that and significantly cleaned up the interface, I might actually get a D* PPV. But until that happens, the alternatives will continue to get my money.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
raott said:
I thought the cap was a bit less than that.

I wish they would implement a Vudu / Netflix like true VOD system rather than the download.

If they did that and significantly cleaned up the interface, I might actually get a D* PPV. But until that happens, the alternatives will continue to get my money.
DirecTV seems to put a premium on picture quality instead of streaming speed. NetFlix optimizes [reduces] bit-rates for streaming, where DirecTV doesn't.
"On Demand" is more like "On Request" with DirecTV, but the PQ is the same as with the SAT feed.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
I watched another HD VOD movie last night, and started the playback as soon as it showed up in the list (about 20 seconds). Movie played just fine, and was done downloading 20-30 minutes before I was done watching the movie.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
veryoldschool said:
DirecTV seems to put a premium on picture quality instead of streaming speed. NetFlix optimizes [reduces] bit-rates for streaming, where DirecTV doesn't.
"On Demand" is more like "On Request" with DirecTV, but the PQ is the same as with the SAT feed.
+1......I prefer picture quality over streaming speed.

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
Red Orc said:
As long as five hours to download a HD movie that's about 1:40 in length. The fastest I've ever had an HD movie download wad about 3 1/2 hours.
Holy cowpies! That is forever. Given your overall speed capabilities, something is very off, and I am afraid I don't have any ideas as to how to troubleshoot, but it seems likely to be unrelated to the box or software.

·
Legend
256 Posts
Laxguy said:
Holy cowpies! That is forever. Given your overall speed capabilities, something is very off, and I am afraid I don't have any ideas as to how to troubleshoot, but it seems likely to be unrelated to the box or software.
I haven't used OD since I updated my router's firmware so I thought I'd try again & see if they came through any faster.
I started downloading an HD movie (Murder by Death) at 10:50 Am. It's 11:31 now and I'm at 56% so maybe the problem was my Netgear router?

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
Red Orc said:
I haven't used OD since I updated my router's firmware so I thought I'd try again & see if they came through any faster.
I started downloading an HD movie (Murder by Death) at 10:50 Am. It's 11:31 now and I'm at 56% so maybe the problem was my Netgear router?
I love Netgear, but am no expert IP guy. Yes, it certainly could have been something on the router setup. What model do you have? I have the 3400.

Asides: Quite a BB game last night! Hooo-aaaah!

The British version of that movie is really good. Dinklage plays in both!

·
Legend
256 Posts
Laxguy said:
I love Netgear, but am no expert IP guy. Yes, it certainly could have been something on the router setup. What model do you have? I have the 3400.

Asides: Quite a BB game last night! Hooo-aaaah!

The British version of that movie is really good. Dinklage plays in both!
N750 DB.
I hated this router until Netgear pushed out a firmware update about a month ago. I t was flaky as hell I had to reset it almost every day because it would constantly drop the wired connections.
12:02 PM and I'm at 97% so I guess I'm down to about 1 1/2 hour for a 1hr:35m HD movie

·
Mentor
33 Posts
I'm not an expert, but seems to me like the only commonality here is Directv....

I would bet that they are the ones throttling.... especially when it seems like whether you are watching or not affects the download speed... bandwidth is expensive and all...

Maybe they prioritize folks that are actually watching (streaming to abuse the term), and anyone just downloading gets some small amount of bandwidth?

Dunno, like I said, not an expert, but seems reasonable that they cap their bandwidth for any given download, and only give enough bandwidth to those that are trying to watch while downloading...

·
Hall Of Fame
2,776 Posts
Red Orc said:
Wouldn't get too excited until you try and DOD at night when D*'s bandwidth may be more taxed.

·
Legend
256 Posts
raott said:
Wouldn't get too excited until you try and DOD at night when D*'s bandwidth may be more taxed.
Not really an issue for me. I'm usually in bed by 8:30PM ,9PM at the latest. Work days I get up at 3:30 AM on my off days I usually get up at around 4:30 AM.
The latest I would be using OD is maybe 7PM and that would only be if I downloaded something when I got home from work and I wouldn't be watching it until the next day or the next time I'm off

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
jcr159 said:
I'm not an expert, but seems to me like the only commonality here is Directv....

I would bet that they are the ones throttling.... especially when it seems like whether you are watching or not affects the download speed... bandwidth is expensive and all...

Maybe they prioritize folks that are actually watching (streaming to abuse the term), and anyone just downloading gets some small amount of bandwidth?

Dunno, like I said, not an expert, but seems reasonable that they cap their bandwidth for any given download, and only give enough bandwidth to those that are trying to watch while downloading...
While DirecTV might have occasional issues, it's in their best interest not to be the choke point, while the ISP has been known to be the problem, and even more so if they're offering on demand too.

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
Easy way to test if you have 2 receivers connected just start a movie on both to download and watch your data usage. Then stop one and see what happens to your data usage.

I believe that DIRECTV does throttle each connection at a maximum of 11 mbps. I have never seen an On Demand go faster than that. I will say that I haven't tested in a few months because everytime I want to watch something I can do it 1:1 after waiting about 5 minutes for it to start.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,764 Posts
CCarncross said:
Your Internet Provider could be throttling you as well....I have a 6Mb/s connection from AT&T(DSL), and I get very similar results to VOS...1.5 to real time for even 1080p
forgot about packet shaping, that can be a major bottleneck. Have seen reports that comcast and a few others are doing that.

·
Icon
524 Posts
hilmar2k said:
You only have to download enough of the title to create a sufficient buffer. For those with high speed internet (think 8-10+ Mbs) you only have to wait a short time before you can begin playback. I downloaded and watched an HD movie last night via VOD and I began watching less than 3 minutes after starting the download, and could have begun much sooner as the movie was downloading in faster than real time.

It may not be streaming technically, but it's pretty darn close if you have fast(ish) internet.
I actually said exactly that in the second half of the post of mine that you quoted......:lol:

·
Icon
524 Posts
TDK1044 said:
I find the whole thing a confusing mess, and as a result, we don't purchase PPV or VOD.
A confusing mess??? Are you just adding the channels to your guide, or are you selecting the "On-Demand" menu item?? The "On-Demand" menu choice is very slick and easy to use.

TDK1044 said:
I want to be able to go to a PPV or VOD offering and click on it and it plays. I'm not remotely interested in downloading to the hard drive.
It's not exactly click and play......but for me, I click....go to the kitchen to get a beer, and then play. Using VOD isn't any more difficult than recording anything on your DVR and with VOD (depending on your internet service) you only have to wait to watch the selected program until you've built up a sufficient buffer. With true high speed internet,even for HD programming, that would only be a few minutes.

Not wanting to start anything personal here, but the things you've said lead me to believe that you don't know how D*'s PPV and/or VOD works, and you seem to not want to know. :nono2:

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.