DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand a change is coming so that you can't watch purchased PPVs through the component output. Does this mean you can't watch them in HD resolution over the component cables, or just a blanket "No PPVs over component"? Wondering because I have my HR20 connected to my tv via component, but my tv can only handle 480i (It's an SDTV). Will I still be able to watch PPVs? What about HD PPVs? Those are what I usually purchase.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Well, that nice but my Mitsubishi 65" HD TV does not have an HDMI.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
More B.S. from the content police, who keep finding ways to cripple our hardware so that Hollyweird stays happy. Geez, how many REAL consumers use component cables to make HD quality copies to pirate? A tiny fraction of a percent or less, yet EVERYONE has to put up with crap like this because of the completely disproportionate lobbying power the entertainment industry wields in D.C. :(

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
LameLefty said:
More B.S. from the content police, who keep finding ways to cripple our hardware so that Hollyweird stays happy. Geez, how many REAL consumers use component cables to make HD quality copies to pirate? A tiny fraction of a percent or less, yet EVERYONE has to put up with crap like this because of the completely disproportionate lobbying power the entertainment industry wields in D.C. :(
I hate this crap too... but unfortunately, one high quality HD copy made here and sent overseas to somewhere like China will result in literally millions of bootleg, non revenue producing copies of the film all over the world. Face it, much as we all hate this stuff someone needs to find a way to balance the needs of the content producers against the legitimate desires of consumers. I don't have a clue what that answer will be and it will probably be a solution that won't make anybody happy.

·
Legend
110 Posts
rudeney said:
My understanding is that the when the content owner requires it, the output over component will be "downgraded" to a maximum resolution of 480P. You'll still get a picture, it just won't be "HD".
I only have one hdmi input on my tv and i use it for my outdated toshiba hda3 to upvert, so i guess all the new ppv channels will be useless for me.
i guess the good thing is less of a directv bill and more netflix or blockbuster.

·
Mentor
34 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
jilardi2 said:
I only have one hdmi input on my tv and i use it for my outdated toshiba hda3 to upvert, so i guess all the new ppv channels will be useless for me.
i guess the good thing is less of a directv bill and more netflix or blockbuster.
That's what they make HDMI switches for. My TV only has 1 hdmi input and I use a monoprice.com 5x1 hdmi switch for a 2nd dvr, and an A2 hd-dvd player, with two more slots left open. The switch works perfectly and costs less than $60.00. It has a remote, also auto-sensing, and can easily be used with the Harmony series of universal remotes.

So...don't worry about lack of hdmi ports on your tv...if you have one, it's enough. If you don't have any, then this thread is applicable to you.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
LarryFlowers said:
I hate this crap too... but unfortunately, one high quality HD copy made here and sent overseas to somewhere like China will result in literally millions of bootleg, non revenue producing copies of the film all over the world. Face it, much as we all hate this stuff someone needs to find a way to balance the needs of the content producers against the legitimate desires of consumers. I don't have a clue what that answer will be and it will probably be a solution that won't make anybody happy.
The ridiculous aspect is that it's very unlikely for pirated copies to be created from the analog outputs of a DirecTV broadcast. It's far more likely that they will come from theft within the studios themselves, or get ripped from discs released by the studios. I don't condone piracy, but it's really hard to feel any sympathy for the Hollywood millionaires and billionaires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.