DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had recorded a PPV movie a couple of months ago, with the intention of paying for it at some point when I was ready to watch it... I know I could have paid for it and then kept it, but I feared having to do a full reset of the machine and losing it before I was able to watch it.

Anyways, when I went to pay for it and watch it last night, there was no longer an option to pay for it. I got through the first few minutes and then got a "searching for authorized content" message. I had no options anywhere to pay for the movie.

No big deal, just a note to others. It's a cool feature that I can record PPV now and decide later if I want to buy. But careful about waiting too long to make the decision.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
mrshermanoaks said:
I had recorded a PPV movie a couple of months ago, with the intention of paying for it at some point when I was ready to watch it... I know I could have paid for it and then kept it, but I feared having to do a full reset of the machine and losing it before I was able to watch it.

Anyways, when I went to pay for it and watch it last night, there was no longer an option to pay for it. I got through the first few minutes and then got a "searching for authorized content" message. I had no options anywhere to pay for the movie.

No big deal, just a note to others. It's a cool feature that I can record PPV now and decide later if I want to buy. But careful about waiting too long to make the decision.
On the R15 it would tell you the expire date at which point the recording would be automatically deleted, HR20 users don't get this info and could run into this situation you just experienced. At least this way the program doesn't just vanish.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DVDKingdom said:
On the R15 it would tell you the expire date at which point the recording would be automatically deleted, HR20 users don't get this info and could run into this situation you just experienced. At least this way the program doesn't just vanish.
I had used the "Keep" function on it to prevent it from being deleted. I guess it would be nice to know when something is going to expire - kept or not.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I spoke to D* about this today. I at least got a complaint in to filter up the line. I have had one PPV movie expire and it disappered after I tried to watch it the forth time.

I suppose a newer FW update will list the EXP date. Only a guess...

Call them. The more complaints the higher the priority, maybe.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Does anyone know what the default expiration period is ? I've gone through this a lot. I'm used to TiVo, where you buy the PPV *then* it records.

Personally, I prefer this method over guessing when it will expire.

My Bride's & my schedule doesn't overlap much, so I record movies for us to watch together... it can be 2-3 months before we get to the recorded programming. I lost 4 PPVs today, sadly 3 of the 4 are not available anymore.

I miss TiVo.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I have inquired about this at D* as well. No one at the level of CSR that I spoke with could tell me the expiration time on the PPV movies.

Hopefully, they will get displayed soon so it will no longer be a mystery.

Perhaps Earl can chime in with a expiration time period...

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Each PPV has a different expiration period.
The R15 does reflect that, but the HR20 at this point is not.

They are aware of the issue..

I too have lost the opportunity to watch some of the PPV I recorded months ago.

You can still use the "TiVo" method, and purchase them at the time of the schedueld recording... and that should not be a problem.

The expiration is on the opportunity to purchase, not for when the PPV will be removed from the system.

·
Godfather
441 Posts
I had the same experience trying to "record" MI3.

After going around with four CSR's that talked too soft, couldn't understand, and did not know anything, I talked to the tech person who said I needed to purchase the PPV and then choose record.

If you choose record on the first screen it only records the first 5 minutes to preview and then goes to the search for authorized content screen.

I do not know if it was B.S. or not but I did what she said and it worked. This was on a HR20

·
Legend
148 Posts
Kentstater said:
...If you choose record on the first screen it only records the first 5 minutes to preview and then goes to the search for authorized content screen....
The rep was wrong. You can record a PPV stream without purchasing it, then buy it later and it is intact. The behaviour they describe is what my UTV would do, and perhaps the DTivos.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
Kentstater said:
I had the same experience trying to "record" MI3.

After going around with four CSR's that talked too soft, couldn't understand, and did not know anything, I talked to the tech person who said I needed to purchase the PPV and then choose record.

If you choose record on the first screen it only records the first 5 minutes to preview and then goes to the search for authorized content screen.

I do not know if it was B.S. or not but I did what she said and it worked. This was on a HR20
The CSR is mistaken, both the R15 and HR20 can record PPV without purchasing. You pay when you decide to watch the recording.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
DVDKingdom said:
The CSR is mistaken, both the R15 and HR20 can record PPV without purchasing. You pay when you decide to watch the recording.
NIEVE QUESTION, ONCE IPURCHASE IT THOUGH, ITS MINE 4EVER CORRECT?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
jonaswan2 said:
No, it will delete itself after a certain period of time. Of course the HR20 won't tell you when it cares to delete a PPV, it will just be gone! :D
WHAT IS THE RATIONAL BASIS FOR IT SELF DELETING? wHY CANT YOU MAINTAIN THE RECORDING LIKE ANYTHING OFF OF HOBHD, SHOHD ETC?

i GUESS I NEED TO RECORD IT ON TO A DVD-R..............

·
Hall Of Fame
1,655 Posts
Thought I would actually post for the first time - with something I kept asking about as well.

I might be wrong on what I have noticed with the r15 - but here it is:

Regular PPV's - the ones that are $3.99 - it looks like 90 days or something close to 3 months, at least from what I see when I order them.

The expiration date thingy on PPV's that are like 'last chance' or cheaper ones seem to only be a couple of days.

I don't know about special events like fights or wrestling, I don't record 'em!

Maybe it's the same on the HR20?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
baimo said:
I thought if you purchase it, you can keep as long as you want.
Correct. Once the PPV is purchased the R15 and HR20 will treat it the same as any recording.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
OK, so to conclude. you can record in advance a ppv and it will be on your "system" for 90 or so days unless and untill you chose to pay. If you dont pay by that period of time, it autodeletes.
Once you pay it becomes a program like any other, on your list, until you chose to delete it.

CORRECT?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jheda said:
OK, so to conclude. you can record in advance a ppv and it will be on your "system" for 90 or so days unless and untill you chose to pay. If you dont pay by that period of time, it autodeletes.
Once you pay it becomes a program like any other, on your list, until you chose to delete it.

CORRECT?
On an R15 it will auto-delete.
On the HR20 it will not.

Once you do pay, it will stay there until you delete it.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
On an R15 it will auto-delete.
On the HR20 it will not.

Once you do pay, it will stay there until you delete it.
So far, so good.

I still have Lucky Number Slevin that was recorded on 10/29 and it still works. I have lost one PPV movie, not sure why, but this one still works and has survived many revsion updates.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.