DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you order a PPV online, and record it, shouldn't you be able to watch it in the future?

I ordered Stick It for my daughter, and she watched it live. I also recorded it on my HR20. When she went back to watch it again today, it's asking me if I want to order it.

I've done this in the past with UFC and Pride events, and have always been able to go back at watch them. Are all day ticket movies different?

·
Legend
207 Posts
I tried this with WWE Survivor Series and it also did not work. It was recording at the time and I was watching it, but when I went back later it was just a black screen recorded.

·
Godfather
369 Posts
I HAVE been able to re-watch PPV on later dates, but I order with the remote...Possibly a limitation to ordering online?

Obvious disadvantage to ordering with remote - only get the PPV on one receiver.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
The R15 and HR20 work differently than other D* receivers/dvrs. They allow you to record a ppv without paying for it at that time. You are charged for it when you watch it.

I don't know what happens if you order on-line and have a mix of receivers where you could both watch it and record it on different units, and later play the recording. I think you will get charged again, as that would be the first time it was watched on that unit (the dvr it was recorded on).

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
I have a PPV question. If I order a PPV through my R15 (using the remote), and I watch it (and therefore pay for it), will I be able to hold onto the PPV indefinitely? Or will the R15 delete the PPV over time? I know, based on information I've read on one of these threads (this one and others) that if I order a PPV but don't watch it, I won't get charged, but if I don't watch it within so much time it'll get deleted from my DVR. That got me thinking.... what if I DO watch the PPV... will the R15 delete it after so much time anyway? Or will I have the option to set it as "Keep until I delete"?

Anyone with smallish kids will know the value of this - with my old TiVo DVR we ordered "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" one time, and it sat on our DVR for quite a while (year and a half or so), and my kids watched it several times.

Probably a better question for a R15 thread, I realize, but I figured that I would post here (since I was already in the PPV thread).

·
DBSTalk Club Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aphoward said:
I tried this with WWE Survivor Series and it also did not work. It was recording at the time and I was watching it, but when I went back later it was just a black screen recorded.
That's what happened to me originally. When she went back to watch it again the next day, it was just a black screen (lots of people having this issue on the HR20). It's been 2 or 3 weeks since we recorded it, and I was going back and deleting old programs to free up some space. I decided to see if it would play now, and that's when it prompted me to puchase it again.

I don't have a land line hooked up, so I can't order with the remote.

·
Legend
386 Posts
i have x-men *the last stand* recorded on my r15-300 now since it first came on ppv and im still able to watch it as often as i like, in this case, as often as my 11yr old son likes. i did however use the button for *keep*.

i also have a direc tivo that has several ppv movies on it and no problems with watching them. i always order my ppv online and have it billed to my account as i order it. i was in a hurry and orderd united 93 via remote control, but its still on my direc tivo and im able to watch it. eventually when i get enough time im gonna transfer these to my computer for dvd storage.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
JcT21 said:
i have x-men *the last stand* recorded on my r15-300 now since it first came on ppv and im still able to watch it as often as i like, in this case, as often as my 11yr old son likes. i did however use the button for *keep*.

i also have a direc tivo that has several ppv movies on it and no problems with watching them. i always order my ppv online and have it billed to my account as i order it. i was in a hurry and orderd united 93 via remote control, but its still on my direc tivo and im able to watch it. eventually when i get enough time im gonna transfer these to my computer for dvd storage.
Good to know. Thanks for the info. I figured that's how it would work, but I just wanted to be sure... as an aside, I love the DVR with PPV - We rarely rent anything anymore - especially for the kids. When they get hooked on a movie and they want to see it a dozen times in half as many days, it makes it real fun to have to explain "sorry, but we had to take the movie back..." For as stupid as it was, we definitely got our money's worth out of that Looney Tunes movie - my kids must have watched it 2 dozen times over the course of a few months. I was going to just buy the DVD, but there was no reason... by the time my TiVo died (yeah, the movie was still on it when my tivo kicked it) they had gotten their fill, and I spent all of $4 to get as many viewings of a movie as my kids could stand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.