DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted this in the EF bug report thread, but I thought it merited more exposure than it would get on page 34 of that thread. I'm wondering if anyone has ever lost more recordings at one time than i did yesterday and today . . . . .
ok, just got home from work, and tried to watch the slew of sunday night programming that the hr20 had ostensibly recorded for me (yeah . . . RIGHT!!!). Goblet of Fire from HBO recorded and is watchable. EVERYTHING i had scheduled after that from 4PM Sunday, until 6 PM monday (when i came home and rebooted the hr20) has the unwatchable bug- Family Guy, The Venture Brothers, Morel Orel, Metalocalypse, Robot Chicken, American Dad (x2), The Simpsons (x4), South Park (x2), The Colbert Report (x3), The Daily Show (x3), Pardon the Interruption, Smart Travels, Rick Steve's Europe, Andy Richter, Aqua Teen Hungerforce (x2), Futurama, Iron Chef America, and Battlestar Galatica.

So that's, what, 28 shows in a row? Yeah. Lovin' life!!! My wife's pleased as well.

All of those shows are scheduled via series link. Goblet of Fire was a one-shot done from the guide. All the unwatchables disappeared from My Playlist after rebooting, and are still listed in the history as 'Recorded'. My hard drive is currently showing about the same amount of used space as it did yesterday- 32% available. I've rebooted every day since EF came out due to continuing runs of unwatchable recordings just like this, but on a smaller scale.

when will this madness end??? I've been trying to deal with this, reminding myself that it's only tv. but this is just too much. I'm right at about 50% of recordings missed since this release, and i was NOWHERE NEAR that with any of the previous software releases. Definitely calling directv for some kind of compensation- what's retention's # again?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
elvisizer said:
posted this in the EF bug report thread, but I thought it merited more exposure than it would get on page 34 of that thread. I'm wondering if anyone has ever lost more recordings at one time than i did yesterday and today . . . . .
I had 5 in a row under the last version of the code 0xeb http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69951&highlight=unwatchable based on some of the more recent posts I no longer feel like I hold the record.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, yeah, i'm just writing down all my series links so i can re-enter them a bit more easily . . . definitely will do a 'reset everything' followed by a red button reset with the special record button+ down directional on the hr20 itself until the record light comes on when you get to the 'almost there' screen during the reboot. whew.
i'm not sure if i should re-enter the series links after the whole process, or before forcing the disk check.

·
Legend
105 Posts
I was having a TON of issues on 0XE3, but haven't had a missed recording yet on 0xEF. Lots of little things, sound volume issues, pixlation, and such, but no BSOD, or hanging issues at all. I'll say this, for those of us who know software, this is an interesting case study in how not to release a product. Their SW release fix some people, then break others.

Z

·
Icon
545 Posts
ZDawg said:
I was having a TON of issues on 0XE3, but haven't had a missed recording yet on 0xEF. Lots of little things, sound volume issues, pixlation, and such, but no BSOD, or hanging issues at all. I'll say this, for those of us who know software, this is an interesting case study in how not to release a product. Their SW release fix some people, then break others.

Z
Doesn't this indicate that there is a bigger problem with the core software?

It still baffles me how there can be such a disparity in performance from user to user if everyone is running the same software! I understand some people stress it out more but some heavy users aren't having many problems at all:confused:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
iceman2a said:
Doesn't this indicate that there is a bigger problem with the core software?

It still baffles me how there can be such a disparity in performance from user to user if everyone is running the same software! I understand some people stress it out more but some heavy users aren't having many problems at all:confused:
I see it as the opposite.

If there was a problem with the "core" then everyone would be seeing it.
The fact that the problems are scattered and not seen on all systems, points more to it be circumstance based... aka local signal, recording setup, patterns, ect..

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
I'm always amused at the people outside of the software development loop for the product saying - Why can't this be fixed ? Must be a problem with the core software. Why isn't OTA enabled yet ?

I'm sure there's a lot more to it and most people don't even have a clue as to what has to be done to achieve certain so called "easy" tasks.

·
Legend
105 Posts
I agree with Earl. There was a request on the new release thread that we detail our setup more as we respond and I think that will be helpful. I bet if we were able to detail exactly the circumstance, including location, setup, recording situation, that D* could more quickly determine the 'root cause'.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know, I GAVE a lot of details- how the shows were scheduled, etc. What else would you like, specifically? I can give you whatever information you need, so please tell me exactly what my problem report lacks.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, just wanted to help out as much as possible. i've got a long background with DVR's as well as computer hardware and software support. I'm no newb, so i'd like to be as useful a resource as possible during the beta testing period . . . . . .
I did do the reset-all and forced disk check last night. No problems since then, obviously, but i'm keeping a close eye on it. One more catastrophic failure like that (esp. after formatting), and i'm going to call it a hardware problem and request a new box.

·
AllStar
50 Posts
ZDawg said:
There was a request on the new release thread that we detail our setup more as we respond and I think that will be helpful. I bet if we were able to detail exactly the circumstance, including location, setup, recording situation, that D* could more quickly determine the 'root cause'.
My understanding is that all DVR services keep track of what you watch and when. For instance, TIVO announced that the most replayed segment ever was Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction. This make sense, as these boxes are little computers that "phone home" every now and then.

Seems to me that if D* were serious, they'd do like Microsoft does with XP and package up what was going on in the box to send back. It could be a menu item, for instance, that the user selects and maybe enters a short comment.

My guess is they don't have the manpower to handle the flood of incoming reports, though

·
Icon
770 Posts
I hope you do a pre-emptive full format/reset. Sure cured our woes in the past.
(source removed because it is irrelevent)
Every time I see this as a "solution" to the ongoing problems with the HR20 it just convinces me that this box was released too soon, without enough testing, and with a hastily put together OS that had absolutely no fully thought out plan for software updates. This is an absolutely ridiculous "solution"!

I have 62 Season Passes/Wishlists on my SD DirecTiVo and 64 on my HR10. I only have 36 Season Links/Autorecords on my HR20, partially because I haven't fully committed to this being my primary machine yet and also because I could only have 50 anyway. Am I actually expected to do a full format whenever I experience problems and then re-enter all 36 Season Links/Autoplays? Absurd!

I've had two SD DirecTiVos for more than 7 years and a HR10 for over a year. I have NEVER had to do this with these DVRs and I can't believe that the software development team for the HR20 can't release an update that fully integrates with the original OS and their own prior updates.

The sad fact is that we are all alpha/beta testers for DirecTV as they try desperately to create a fully functional DVR and not only did most of us pay at least something for our hardware, but we're also paying a $5.99/mo "DVR service fee" for the privilege of continuing as alpha/beta testers!

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, Tom, I feel your pain. It's true- these kinds of huge bugs should not be present in a retail release. However, I made my first call to D*TV last night for a credit, and the CSR i spoke to was very nice, and polite, and gave me a HUGE credit. Much bigger than just refunding the dvr fee. And she gave it to me for 6 months!!! So don't suffer in silence. If you're having big problems like i did, they will work with you to try to keep you happy.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
elvisizer said:
well, Tom, I feel your pain. It's true- these kinds of huge bugs should not be present in a retail release.
Many of us have not experienced the "huge bugs" you reference. Therefore that term is one person's opinion, no more, no less.

After scheduling, recording, and playing back over 260 recordings, scheduling 32+ NFL Sunday Ticket games without 1 single problem and no "red button resets", I wonder how much legitimate effort is being made to diagnose the problems here compared to simply pointing the finger at the HR20 alone.

Based on many of the posts, at least 2/3 of them fall into the "there must be something wrong with the HR20" category with little or no disclosed effort to seek other potential sources of the problem.

I'd be willing to bet that one of these scenarios proves to be the source of 90% of the "so-called" problems - in this order:

1) Local environment variables with problems - cables, poor Dish install, switches, HMDI incompatibility with other devices hooked up to the same TV/display, or similar items.

2) Defective remote control units (many of the "problems" are reported as a result of buttons being pressed that do not do what the user intends or nothing at all if pressed).

3) Local TV station HD broadcasts/re-broadcasts with problem transmissions. I know of at least 1 city for certain where this was the cause of over 100 posts where "the HR20 MPEG4 signal was a problem"....only to find out it was the local station having transmission flaws.

4) Operator error - I wonder what % of owners haven't even read the manual...

I practice what I preach - I don't even think about calling or e-mailing anyone about a problem until I do some good-old-fashioned-logical-process-of-elimination problem-solving first.

Its soooooooo easy to point the finger and expect a quick fix. How about some personal responsibility to figure out the legitimate flaws (if any).

Whining and generalized complaints will get you nothing.

·
Godfather
315 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
After scheduling, recording, and playing back over 260 recordings, scheduling 32+ NFL Sunday Ticket games without 1 single problem and no "red button resets".....
It may help narrow things down if you could tell us exactly how you are making these recordings. Are they SLs, selected from the guide, ARs? Do you use any padding? Do you let the Sunday Ticket games record to completeion on their own or stop them manually when the game ends? How many items are in your prioritizer? Do you use Find at all, and if so, how many ARs and/or recent finds do you have? Any other pertinent information you can provide might be quite useful.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Whining and generalized complaints will get you nothing.
Actually, not true. Whine and complain to DirecTV to get compensation (actually pretty big programming credits). I have talked to others that are getting HUGE discounts (again in programming credits) just by calling and complaining.

Be specific with your complaints (it deleted x recordings last week, it hung y times last week, z number of recordings were "trashed"). They have allocated a LOT of money to credit us early adopter beta testers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.