DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a Twin LNB hooked up to 2 recievers, when I get the 721 I was planning on buying the Quad LNB or can I cascade off one of the Twin leads?

Right now Dish Depot has the trade in thingy, If I buy the Quad I can trade my Twin in and get $50.00 back.

Am I thinking correctly or should I consider another solution? :shrug:

·
Icon/Supporter
1,227 Posts
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
Sounds like a good one to me, although if you want HDTV it might be time to add a sw64 and a second dish. :)
Which you might be able to get for free if you call and request the 2nd dish for must carry locals

(or do they add sw21s if you currently have a twin?)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adding a second dish:
I'm sure they would add the SW21's with my twin, having a 4900 and a 501.

If I wait till I get a 721 to add the second dish, it might take months before I get the second Dish. They would have to give me the the Dual LNB with the SW64 I believe.

G

·
Well, I have 2 recievers(3000 & 4000) hooked to 2 sw21's. Dish was out yesterday to install the second dish. Where they needed to put it I didn't want it. I got them to just give me all the equipment which included a sw64 which is the only thing I wanted in the first place. The dish tech told me the following.

1. The 148 is not going to be carrying anything additional.
The recent move of all the locals was to make room for more channels on 110 or 119. Can't remember which.

2. The 721 won't be out until the 4th quarter. I know its sussposed to be out this month. But that is what he said.

3. The sw64 can't be hooked up to just 2 recievers as doing this will burn out the unhooked outs. Is this really true?

·
4 Posts
You can use a 64 switch for 1-4 receivers with no problem. Unused ports should have a 75 ohm terminator on them for reliablility, but you won't hurt the switch if they're not connected.

·
Godfather
432 Posts
Originally posted by SRubie
Unused ports should have a 75 ohm terminator on them for reliablility, but you won't hurt the switch if they're not connected.
Really I didn't know that, what are possible downsides to not terminating. I am familiar with unterminated signals when used with straight video (I work at MSNBC) but why do you need to terminate a switch??

·
4 Posts
You should terminate the unused ports on a SW64 for some of the same reasons you would on other RF devices: to keep stray RF out and to protect the terminal. It's a good practice, and, short of a bad terminator, it doesn't hurt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.