DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I could find some short (~1ft) RG6 cables that do not cost a fortune? I have looked and looked and most places want around $12-$15 at cheapest PER cable! Insane!

I have found super cheap 3ft RG6 cables from places like monoprice for around $2 each, but cannot find anything shorter :(

I have considered making my own, but I only need around 10 cables and the gear to make my own would be around $60-$70, a bit overkill for something I am not doing all the time.

· Registered
5,674 Posts
the 3 footers at monoprice were shortest I could find also a few weeks back. they were also the best price at $1.48 per, I ordered a few and they are solid.

edit: radio shack sells them for about $ 5 but my experience with RS are they are prone to snap at the ends.

http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/rg6-f-pin-cable/10x4-01101.htm

I've used these people for lan cabling but never tried their rg6, no idea how solid it is. did not think to look at them a few weeks back when I needed some.

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
If you need 10 cables, I would buy everything needed to make my own, it's still only 6 or 7 bucks each and you can make them ALL custom. Plus you will have the tools for future repairs, more custom work, fix Friends and neighbors cables too:)

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, compression fittings are the best.

I found on eBay that I could get Tool + Stripper + 30 Fittings for around $35. Per 50 Snap N Seal fittings (compression, not as good as digicon, but cheaper) was around $16.

I am not totally against doing that, I was just curious if there is anywhere that does not rip you a new one on short cables. Places like blue jeans are only a good deal when you order longer lengths.

Here is the kit I found on eBay that looked decent:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160288886356

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just added the decent deal I found to my last post.

I mostly used RG6 compression and that had decent results. Lots kill you on shipping though and some look like cheaper tools, thats why I think that one above looks decent for the money.

· Registered
5,674 Posts
Grentz said:
I just added the decent deal I found to my last post.

I mostly used RG6 compression and that had decent results. Lots kill you on shipping though and some look like cheaper tools, thats why I think that one above looks decent for the money.
I'll take a look at it, thanks.

· Icon
769 Posts
Grentz said:
I was just curious if there is anywhere that does not rip you a new one on short cables. Places like blue jeans are only a good deal when you order longer lengths.
Consider the fact that it takes the same amount of labor and just as many compression fittings to make a 1' cable as it does a 100' cable. With RG6 going for $0.04-$0.08 per ft, the price difference between a 1' cable and a 100' cable could potentially be as low as $3.96. Not everybody is trying to rip you a new one; its just the cost of doing business.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brant said:
Consider the fact that it takes the same amount of labor and just as many compression fittings to make a 1' cable as it does a 100' cable. With RG6 going for $0.04-$0.08 per ft, the price difference between a 1' cable and a 100' cable could potentially be as low as $3.96. Not everybody is trying to rip you a new one; its just the cost of doing business.
Yes, but $13-$15 per cable is a bit extreme considering that is without shipping and the connectors cost around $.50 - $1 each.

I have talked to Mertzen once and I might hit him up again when I know what I need exactly.

· Icon
769 Posts
Grentz said:
Yes, but $13-$15 per cable is a bit extreme considering that is without shipping and the connectors cost around $.50 - $1 each.

I have talked to Mertzen once and I might hit him up again when I know what I need exactly.
To you and me that is high; to the ordinary consumer, they assume that's what it really costs. At those prices, I would think their target market is consumer not well educated in a/v. But the main purpose of my post was to simply state you shouldn't expect a big price difference between a 1' cable and a 10', 20', etc. . . length cable. There's not much of an actual manufacturer cost difference between them.

what exactly are you trying to do? would a screw-on f connector not be suitable for it?

you might could swing by a local home theater shop, with cable and connectors in hand, and ask somebody if they could take a minute to put the fittings on for you. you might get out paying $20 to them for just a few minutes of their time.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just need some cables for setting up a SWM in my house and some other new changes to my RF plan. I really need the RG6 just for the connections where the SWM will be, which is a few interconnects between devices (diplexers, splitters, wall jacks, etc.).

I have some cheaper jumpers that will work for the OTA/RF Modulated side of things, I just would prefer to use some better cables for the satellite side to ensure a good signal.

I might end up using some crimp on connectors if it comes down to it. They are not as pretty or as nice to work with, but they seem to get the job done on the OTA side of things, and I would think they should be fine for satellite too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.