DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there are tons of websites and apps out there to find out where a movie is showing, when it will hit Blu-Ray or PPV... but something I can't seem to find, and I am hoping one of you will have a suggestion on, is where I can find a list of when major blockbusters are going to cable, when they are airing, and what network they will premiere on (e.g. HBO, Starz, Cinemax, etc.).

The reason I ask is because I hardly ever use Netflix anymore, now that I subscribe to darn near everything DirecTV has. I'm looking for a way to dump my 'queue' and to keep up with things through DTV only.

I know there's a feature in the DTV menu where you can keyword a movie, but the annoying thing about that is that if the movie is available on PPV, it seems to always add that to the list and there seems to be no way to override it to go for premium cable instead.

Thanks.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
412 Posts
I never even heard of Epix, but I just googled it and went to their website and saw a fairly decent mix of first-run movies, at least better than what's found on Showtime IMO.

HBO and Starz use to have all of the big box office first-run movies, I guess they still do, but I really don't follow movies as much as I use to.

However, I remember the days of me contemplating buying a DVD or waiting for it to hit HBO and from what I remember, most studios are different in how they release their movies in terms of timing, with some delaying it up to a year after it hits DVD, I think, while others will sell it quickly to these stations. But yeah, there's really nothing out there that discusses this and so many movies (that are "great" but not necessarily big box office hits) that never even make it anywhere beyond DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,718 Posts
mshaw2715 said:
Not all new movies come to Directv first due to not having EPIX. As a result some films don't come tell commercials have been inserted.
Bambler said:
I never even heard of Epix, but I just googled it and went to their website and saw a fairly decent mix of first-run movies, at least better than what's found on Showtime IMO.

HBO and Starz use to have all of the big box office first-run movies, I guess they still do, but I really don't follow movies as much as I use to.

However, I remember the days of me contemplating buying a DVD or waiting for it to hit HBO and from what I remember, most studios are different in how they release their movies in terms of timing, with some delaying it up to a year after it hits DVD, I think, while others will sell it quickly to these stations. But yeah, there's really nothing out there that discusses this and so many movies (that are "great" but not necessarily big box office hits) that never even make it anywhere beyond DVD.
Epix is available on Roku and also on Amazon Prime recently signed a deal for the rights to stream their titles.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
If all I wanted was the big Hollywood blockbusters, I wouldn't count on the premium channels. I'd use Redbox or Netflix. Where the premiums excel, IMHO, are the lesser-known independent and foreign films that I probably wouldn't even know about, if I did not see them in the guide and then look them up on the web.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,718 Posts
joed32 said:
Epix is available on Roku if you have a subscription through you Sat or Cable provider.
Sign up for the free 14 day trial. I did it during a free weekend for Dish (I have DirecTV) and it stuck.

I just signed for a free trial with another email, picked DirecTV and it worked.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,042 Posts
domingos35 said:
Epix is better than any of the premium channels like HBO etc ,etc
Epix is basically Paramount studios, a bit of Lion's Gate, etc....movies.

Showtime and HBO are about original series. In fact, Showtime has very few studio deals left, they aren't intended to be a movie service first and foremost, though they do carry some library studio content. HBO still has some major studio deals, but their business is driven mostly by their unique series like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk, etc, etc.

Starz even has some original series...Boss is outstanding, one of the best on television, but they are primarily a movie distributor.

To each their own, but they are definitely not the same in content, breadth of programming etc,. As an example, HBO has 10 channels on D* plus all the past seasons original episodes on VOD. If Epix were to appear on D*, it would at max be 4 channels (that's all they have) and basically we're talking movies and some niche boxing (super heavy weight for example).

All different, all serving different types of constituencies.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
913 Posts
Satelliteracer said:
To each their own, but they are definitely not the same in content, breadth of programming etc,. As an example, HBO has 10 channels on D* plus all the past seasons original episodes on VOD. If Epix were to appear on D*, it would at max be 4 channels (that's all they have) and basically we're talking movies and some niche boxing (super heavy weight for example).

All different, all serving different types of constituencies.
Would be nice to have though still.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
Satelliteracer said:
Starz even has some original series...Boss is outstanding, one of the best on television, but they are primarily a movie distributor.
Don't forget, Satelliteracer, that Starz has the contract with Disney for first run on all their movies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
I've seemed to subscribed to Starz and Showtime, for most of the year. Why? Cheaper and sometimes free. I'd like to subscribe more on HBO/Cinemax, but find their price prohibitive. They may be the best out of the three, but not to the extent of the difference in price.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top