DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Blowgun said:
PrimeTime(sic) Anytime might be more useful if the technology allowed the user to pick which 4 channels and at what time to record. And as I mentioned in a different thread, have the ability to trim shows out of the block to store in the other partition for later viewing.
You get the big 4 because a) they're on the same transponder, otherwise you'd need another tuner and b) those are the ones with a contract agreement. So PBS and CW may be possible someday. And yes, you can move shows from the PTA block to be saved in your space (post #10).

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
dpeters11 said:
So, I'm assuming when they say it'll record the shows when Primetime Anytime is activated, that's not entirely accurate? I couldn't figure out how it's possible to use one tuner to get 4 networks at the same time, but in other places it sounds like it isn't recording them in the traditional sense.
It's recording the whole transponder stream which carries several channels. Traditionally, the tuner reads the stream and extracts the channel you selected. For PrimeTime Anytime, the extracting takes place after the whole stream is recorded.
bakerm5 said:
It's just that the sat signal goes only to the Hopper, it decodes it, then passes back through the wire over to the Joey. So all the coax gets tied together outside the walls.
Correct, based on interpretation of the installation diagrams we've seen (picture links at http://www.dishuser.org/xip813.php)
Which if this is the case, and your Hopper dies for some reason, you couldn't watch anything on any of the Joey's either.
The Joey doesn't have a tuner, it's just an interface to the Hopper which does all the work.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Blowgun said:
According to Engadget:
"12:32PM Now we've got a screenshot of that Prime Time Anytime toggle, it will record from all four major networks, plus two other channels of your choosing."
Apparently it isn't completely about contracts if you are allowed to pick "two other channels of your choosing".
phrelin said:
I'm finding a lack clarity with that. It could simply be a confusing wording about "all four major networks" on the transponder, and two other channels from the two other receivers.
Yes, tuners, they would be from the other tuners.

Blowgun said:
When I mentioned trimming, I meant user selectable start/stop copying back to the user partition. Otherwise, if it is relying strictly on the guide to make the determination of start/stop, then that defeats a lot of the usefulness of the feature. Ultimately, I could set a timer and do a better job of dialing in shows which tend to run long.
phrelin said:
That is an absolute requirement IMHO. If the guide is the source of start/stop then the feature is useless.
The guide is the source but it recognizes your start early / end late recording defaults and applies them to both playback from the PTAT list and saving to your DVR space.

Blowgun said:
Also, there is a big difference between moving and copying, with the latter being the preferred method. One would strongly hope that you don't get one shot at moving a show back to the user partition. Whereas, copying would allow for mistakes to be corrected.
phrelin said:
This may be related to licensing issues, but I'm sure no one at Dish would be so foolish as to not realize it might be important to allow for errors by users....:sure:
I'll try to remember to ask, but my thought is it should be a copy as the PTAT recording will be auto-purged after 8 days anyway.

jeffdb27 said:
What wiring is required from the DISH? I have a 722k with only one wire and a spitter feeding the two tuners. With three tuners in "Hopper" how does this change? Are new LNBs required?
RG6 from the dish to the Hopper, the Joeys can be connected using older RG59.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Blowgun said:
I attempted to look at the insides from the link at EKB, but the FCC page returns, "You are not authorized to access this page." BobaBird, you might want to look into why the page is not accessible.
I get the same error and don't recall how the page was titled. Searching for xip813 yields no results.
HoTat2 said:
The difference I think is that since only one coax cable feeds the Hopper, there seems to be no choice but for the Node to frequency translate one of the DPP blocks to up above 2150 Mhz to maybe 2350-2850 Mhz (assuming the same standard 200 Mhz guard band between the blocks) for the third tuner.
There's a plausible theory. Dish already does that for some commercial installations with a stacker/de-stacker pair.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
P Smith said:
Broadcom's flexible architecture also allows MoCA tuning from 500 to 1500 MHz (to be compatible with satellite signals on the same coax).
I'm told you won't be able to diplex OTA to the in-home coax network (it would need to be broken out before the XiP node) due to possible interference with the MoCA signal. What is the freq range of OTA?

Blowgun said:
Interesting. Do you know how much information is obtained by the mother ship?
No idea, but don't you think you could find a healthier snack than that? ;)
Perhaps the answer is in the locked "XiP813" thread from P Smith, which is located HERE. In that thread, P Smith included the FCC ID to search the FCC and attached a PDF document which includes two internal images. Perhaps this was what you linked?
It was a direct link copied from the huge thread on the other site. Just tried to find it at FCC and now get
There are no applications on file that match the search criteria specified:
Product Code: DKNTK421​
I need to head back over to CES to get some more answers and don't have time to do more searching, but would like to get that link fixed.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
It's in my notes from yesterday. DishPro Extreme (dpX) pushes one of the bands into a 3rd range above regular DP stacking. The rep wasn't sure what the range was. It doesn't go to a 4th range like the stacker/de-stacker.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
P Smith said:
Still getting "You are not authorized to access this page." ...
:confused: It worked when I posted, now it doesn't. Try from search results page, click Int Photos 2, might see the error but wait for the refresh.
P Smith said:
Umm, why you're looking for higher freq ?
Using two cables with DPP technology give you FOUR 500 MHz bands (ie one half of any sat) what is more then enough for three sat tuners.
Because 3 sat tuners is not enough for 4 rooms to watch live.
For Duo Node - three cables provide SIX bands - exactly a number of tuners.
And it occurs to me that may be why 1 Hopper has 3, half of the 6 available to the Duo Node off a 1000.x, instead of the 4 using the stacker they already have.
Blowgun said:
As I understand, the Prime-Time Anytime feature records all four networks in their entirety between 8pm and 11pm. I'm told that you can then COPY what you want out of this. What isn't clear is whether the copy will be based on the guide data or you'll be able to pad the copy. If it's the former, you'll run into the same problem.
The Save from PTAT function and playback from the PTAT list both go by your DVR start early / end late defaults.
If you are not recording back to back shows and you don't have padding set, then it sounds like a network time sync issue.

You'll have to save them out of Prime-Time Anytime, otherwise they will fall off the back and be replaced with the following weeks recording.
You will have last Friday and this Friday, and will lose last Friday on Saturday.
I personally don't find the Prime-Time Anytime feature all that compelling, so I would probably disable it and set timers the way I have always set timers.
You have to choose to enable it. If there's a night you don't want it, make sure to disable it before prime-time starts because you won't be able to stop it once it starts.
eichenberg said:
If one were to disable the PTAT feature, would you then have 6 tuners to record from or 3 or some other number?
3 tuners. You get the effect of having 6 during p-t because the 4 channels PTAT records are on the same transponder and it extracts 4 channels at once from the stream instead of just 1 as we've had to this point.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
But to summarize the thread...

1. The Hopper has 3 tuners, so you can watch 3 live feeds.
2. 3-2=1
3. With 3 Joeys added, you can watch 4 previously recorded shows...
4. ...while 3 more are being recorded
5. Yes, if you want it to have independent viewing, and yes.

With 2 Hoppers you can have up to 4 Joeys giving you 6 live feeds for viewing and/or recording, and be able to watch 6 different already recorded shows.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
elgibby said:
Too bad. That's probably a deal breaker for me, as I edit out ads and transfer programs to my tablet for viewing during work breaks.
We may soon be able to load programs to iPad and Android tablets, but don't expec to be able to pre-purge commercials. See the Sling Booth portion of http://www.dishuser.org/ces2012.php.
vwhizbang said:
The second big advantage appears to be the ability to tune up to 4 HD TVs to different channels. Not a big deal to me, but a definite upgrade for families.
While 4 TVs can view HD programming, only 3 tuners are available, and any of those could be recording. When a TV can't get a tuner, it can watch what one of the others is watching, or watch something already recorded.

So then you have 3 tuners which matches what I have now with my 722k and 612, ...
Your current receivers have 4 tuners, with the 612 adding an OTA tuner and the 722k optionally having 2 more for OTA channels both major and minor. Agreed on the limitations of outputs and sharing.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
The person I talked to said PTAT can't be tuned directly, but you can go to the DVR listings and select a show to start over as it's being recorded, which is essentially "live."

Scott reported that PTAT can be watched live, and I know he has good sources. I'm not sure how that would work though (getting over my head but will think out loud anyway), if each viewing device/decoder (Hopper or Joey) is accessing the same tuner that is recording PTAT, is the Hopper able to extract a different channels from the same stream using the same tuner to send live to the decoders?

Maybe the answer lies in another inconsistency we got. I was told only the 4 channels get recorded, as indicated by the "PT" timer flags on the EPG. Scott has said several times the entire transponder is recorded. I find both answers entirely plausible, with both leaving open the possibility of adding other locals on the same TP should Dish choose to include them in PTAT.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
I've seen PTAT in Dish documents, and I like it better because the cadence of saying PTAT more closely matches PrimeTime Anytime. But I won't think less of those who prefer PTA, or anyone else from Harper Valley. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.