DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
Blowgun said:
If PrIme-Time Anywhere does end up working that way when it's disabled, that will render half the hard drive useless for my needs. :(
Usually the company doing hard coded partitioning - no one chance to do changes of that. It was same pitch from many ppl, when we got the knowledge how big dedicated partition for VOD on the ViP models [622]. No changes since that for 'new' 722, 722k and 922.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
Blowgun said:
Not a problem. :)

PrimeTime(sic) Anytime might be more useful if the technology allowed the user to pick which 4 channels and at what time to record. And as I mentioned in a different thread, have the ability to trim shows out of the block to store in the other partition for later viewing. Seeing as how that would require additional programming and it's to be released to the beta, I mean, subscribers soon, perhaps that will happen some point down the line. Well, it's wishful thinking. :)

I was hoping that DISH might have taken that into consideration. That the technology to move partitions, without destroying existing data, has been around for awhile.

Then you would absolutely love 500 hours of HD or 2000 hours of SD. ;)

I remember that, and the complaints that followed about the poor placement of the intermediary screen, when all one wanted to do was go to Recorded Events.
Oops!
Counting 1 GB per one hour of HD in H.264 ]MPEG-4[ - user space is 250 GB from total 2000 GB [2 TB] drive ?! OMG ! 1/8 or 12.5% ....

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
phrelin said:
OK, up to this point all the pix show 2 USB ports and an eSata port. If you have the supposed OTA receiver and the Sling Adapter, I guess you just throw out your old USB EHD's? They really couldn't put 4 working USB ports on this thing???
Deja vu ? Post#14 ? ;)

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
phrelin said:
OK, up to this point all the pix show 2 USB ports and an eSata port. If you have the supposed OTA receiver and the Sling Adapter, I guess you just throw out your old USB EHD's? They really couldn't put 4 working USB ports on this thing???
I should correct myself - studying FCC picture, there are two USB ports on rear panel and one is hidden under front panel. So, the DVR has three USB ports. Nicely layout for OTA tuner, EHD and Sling Adapter. Finally someone did the math correctly. [And went out of budget with 10c dual USB socket on a back :)]

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
GOMD said:
Don't want to ask an already addressed question, but will we be able to use the "Hopper" along with another standalone Dish DVR in the same household? I am not very interested in the whole home sharing, so could I potentially use the Hopper in the living room and a 722 seperately in a bedroom? Thanks to anyone who can provide info!!
If you have spare two coaxes from DPP(!) switch/antenna, then yes. Right above your post an URL to diagrams.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
HoTat2 said:
Hey, not greatly familiar with Dish stuff, but if the Hopper is receiving the standard satellite input frequency stack of 950-1450 Mhz and 1650-2150 Mhz from the dish antenna, then it can't be using the 1 Ghz range MoCA frequencies to communicate with the Joeys (BTW, I agree, silly names).

Therefore, is Dish also using frequencies below 950 Mhz in the OTA range like DIRECTV's DECAs to communicate to the Joeys?
I see a new box - Solo/Duo Node box - could have filters to re-use same freq in different cables: to XiP813 and to 110s.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
HoTat2 said:
Come to think of it P. Smith, I wonder if those Solo or Duo node boxes actually translate the Hopper's satellite input to a whole different frequency scheme since Dish's conventional approach of feeding a stacked 950-1450 and 1650-2150 Mhz would cause a problem with a now third tuner in the mix since how does it get it's needed channel set if different from the other two?

Really need to see the specs. to understand this better.
Sure, studying MoCA specs would help; for sure I know the communication MoCA channel between 813 and 110 using 256QAM modulation. I think MoCA should regimenting frequencies ... Lets check those spec...

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
n0qcu said:
EA or WA absolutely no difference ALL HD is MPEG-4.

Now the 1000 hours of SD programming will vary between EA & WA
I think the number [250 hrs or 250 GB] is a limit for one client/tuner; or the number would look ridicules as usable space for users: 12.5% off 2 TB drive.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
HoTat2 said:
assuming the same standard 200 Mhz guard band between the blocks
As far as known its 1 TB available to the user and 1 TB allocated for reserved space for purely DN controlled stuff.

Now how much of this 1 TB of reserved space is then set aside for "Dish Unplugged" programming, PrimeTime Anytime (PTAT), or other features are unknown AFAIK.
Who knows, if they use that wide blocks, perhaps 100 MHz? We will check it with spectrum analyzer soon.;)
They told at CES, user will have 250 hrs for HD, what equal 250 GB of storage ie 12.5% of the drive size. Not clear, but most likely it's true for all clients.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
Blowgun said:
What about the brand of the 2 TB drive in the 813 (sounds better:))? It goes without saying that it's still early to know which brand is going to be initially used. Yet, in general a lot of recent hard drive reviews I've read indicate that a portion of large capacity drives (greater than 1 GB) are either DOA from the factory or shortly thereafter, going belly up. Longevity seems to be with the older and smaller capacity drives.

Making matters worse, floods, production issues and increasing costs, might mean that the 2 TB drive that's installed may come from various sources. Which could contribute to an increase of inconsistent quality among the 813 receivers.

I see from other images that the fan is on the left side and a vent on the right. I'm guessing that they placed the hard drive next to the vent. I attempted to look at the insides from the link at EKB, but the FCC page returns, "You are not authorized to access this page." BobaBird, you might want to look into why the page is not accessible.
I posted FCC cert PDF in my thread here - "XiP813", it was Seagate that time, but they have WD and Hitachi 2 TB approved drives.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
[I expect to keep technical details in my thread, but you decide to mix buzz with techno ... well, will see how it will works]

From XiP100 aka Joey - use BCM7340 and interesting detail about MoCA freqs:
Broadcom's flexible architecture also allows MoCA tuning from 500 to 1500 MHz (to be compatible with satellite signals on the same coax).
The chip is not support own DVR functions, for that is exist BCM7342:
The BCM7342 is identical to the BCM7340 with the addition of DVR watch and record capabilities. It also integrates a dual tuner/demodulator from Broadcom's BCM4506 front-end technology (versus the single tuner/demodulator of the BCM7340 that uses Broadcom's BCM4505 front-end technology).

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
BobaBird said:
It's in my notes from yesterday. DishPro Extreme (dpX) pushes one of the bands into a 3rd range above regular DP stacking. The rep wasn't sure what the range was. It doesn't go to a 4th range like the stacker/de-stacker.
Umm, why you're looking for higher freq ?
Using two cables with DPP technology give you FOUR 500 MHz bands (ie one half of any sat) what is more then enough for three sat tuners.
For Duo Node - three cables provide SIX bands - exactly a number of tuners.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,725 Posts
HoTat2 said:
Yes P. Smith, but there is only one satellite coax cable from a Node feeding a Hopper. So how would you get the third 500 Mhz DPP band block for the third tuner on one cable if not through frequency stacking it somewhere above 2150 Mhz?
Duh! ... Well, that is what I missed ... Give me the box, I'll post a spectrogram. ;)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.