DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· AllStar
99 Posts
What wiring is required from the DISH? I have a 722k with only one wire and a spitter feeding the two tuners. With three tuners in "Hopper" how does this change? Are new LNBs required?

Thanks, Jeff

· AllStar
99 Posts
HoTat2 said:
Three tuners per Hopper, with the XiP Duo Node allowing two Hoppers max. per install for a combined six tuners.

Additional tuners to the Hopper from an optional OTA module, if it exist, has not yet been determined.
How will having two Hoppers work? Will they communicate with each other? Will Joeys be tied to a particular Hopper, or will they all have access to all six tuners and both Hopper's DVR programs?

I'm sure it will be just speculation at this point, but maybe someone knows something?

Thanks,

Jeff

· AllStar
99 Posts
James Long said:
Hmmm ... I thought I saw a SD local with the PTA flag. ...

Glancing through the list I noticed several HD affiliates that do not have the PTA flag ...
Where is this list with the PTA flags? Can anyone access it?

Thanks.

· AllStar
99 Posts
TomCat said:
but the only real difference between a "Hopper"-style IRD/DVR and a conventional IRD/DVR is that the Hopper demuxes at playback but records all of the programs at once, while the garden-variety DVR demuxes at record to minimize the amount of HDD space needed for a single program.
So will the picture quality / file size be the same when shows are extracted out of the PTAT recording? I mean, are they sacrificing quality to do this or is it just a different delivery method of the same eventual stream?

Thanks.

· AllStar
99 Posts
TomCat said:
Other than them moving your big 4 channels to the same transponder (and only if necessary) nothing changes on the transmit end, so no change is made to the bit rate and quality. The tuner is already wide enough to accept the combined bit rate of the entire stream, and your HDD can already handle a stream that big as well.

The difference is in where the signals are separated out, either at record or at playback. The demux stage just separates the signals, and does not compromise bit rate or quality either.

But, for instance, if you are only interested in keeping Alcatraz out of the four programs recorded at the time that airs, the recorded file still holds all 4 and will take up 4 times the space on the PTAT partition (but 8 days is about 500 GB, so there is room).

If you want to keep the program longer, the DVR has to stream the entire file in the background to the demux which separates out the program you want, ignores the rest, and copies that part of the file into a separate location on the user partition, where it takes up the same amount of room it would take if you had originally recorded it on a conventional DVR; and again, this does not compromise quality either.
Awesome and thanks. That's kind of what I figured.

Is the eight-day PTAT "buffer" configurable? Can I, for example, say I just want to keep everything for three days? Or maybe its Friday, and I want to delete just the previous Tuesday's block early, possible?

Thanks again.

· AllStar
99 Posts
VDP07 said:
Existing customer's will pay $100-$200 for a Hopper and $0-$100 for each joey up to 3 depending on which plan they fall under. Plan A and B customers = $100 Hopper and $0 Joeys. Plan C customers = $200 Hopper and $100 Joeys
I've always owned all of my DISH receivers. I'll probably have to bite the bullet and lease these when they come out.

1. Will it be possible to purchase the Hoppers and Joeys outright? I know this problaby doesn't make sense financially, but for the sake of arguement, can it be done?

2 Will it be possible to do a do-it-yourself install? I've never needed an installer's help before, and can't see why I would now.

Thanks.

· AllStar
99 Posts
GOMD said:
I don't know how much water this holds, but i just finished a chat with dish online where i was informed only 1 Hopper would be possible per account. I told the rep I was interested in 2 Hoppers, and he said that is not allowed. He offered up the fact that 6 tv's can use 1 hopper and that was all. I really hope he is wrong!
I would bet this would be a temporary restriction. Don't they have a Duo Node specifically to hook up two Hoppers? Maybe they have a limited supply and want to get one per account first. Or maybe the software isn't written to support the Duo Node. Hmm. Dish wouldn't release software that wasn't done, would they?

Jeff

· AllStar
99 Posts
P Smith said:
That would hold a water, 1xH and 5xJ, only difference is: one thing is said before - max 4J linked to one H and only three could used simultaneously. Well see tomorrow ...
You could only watch three live programs at once, but couldn't additional Joeys watch DVR'd programs or possibly ON Demand stuff?

· AllStar
99 Posts
What about when prime time programming itself includes sports, like right now with the NCAA basketball tournament on CBS or in the winter when NBC has Sunday Night Football. The football definitely goes past "prime time".

And what about Sunday when prime time could be said to start at 7p/ET 6p/CT? At least network programming starts then.

Jeff

· AllStar
99 Posts
So, I have the Sling Adapter with my 722k. I guess the same one will work with the Hopper. My question is, how will it choose a tuner? On the 722k it's kind of a pain. It always slings tuner 2. So if something is already recording on tuner 2, you have to watch that or interrupt the recording (or watch DVR content). My receiver sets most timers to record on tuner 2 when there is no confict so I often start my remote Dish app only to find I can't watch the live TV I want.

Now that there will be three tuners to choose from, I wonder if the Sling Adapter will always use #3. It would be nice if a tuner was being used to record something, or even watch something, Sling would use a free one. Or have the remote software let you choose a tuner...

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.