DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Jason Nipp said:
  • A two-terabyte hard drive for up to 2,000 hours of video entertainment
  • Up to 250 hours of HD or up to 1,000 hours of SD user recordings
Based on the above; if HD takes 4 times the space of SD recordings, and that is only 1000 or 250 hours respectively, where did the other 1000 or 250 hours go?

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
klang said:
Primetime Anywhere goes to a partition dedicated to Dish's use. I assume they will also download VOD selections there as well as they do today on the VIP DVRs.
If PrIme-Time Anywhere does end up working that way when it's disabled, that will render half the hard drive useless for my needs. :(

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
klang said:
oops, that should have been PrimeTime Anytime. :)
Not a problem. :)

PrimeTime(sic) Anytime might be more useful if the technology allowed the user to pick which 4 channels and at what time to record. And as I mentioned in a different thread, have the ability to trim shows out of the block to store in the other partition for later viewing. Seeing as how that would require additional programming and it's to be released to the beta, I mean, subscribers soon, perhaps that will happen some point down the line. Well, it's wishful thinking. :)

klang said:
I think you can bank on the space not being available for other purposes, same as with our current DVRs.
I was hoping that DISH might have taken that into consideration. That the technology to move partitions, without destroying existing data, has been around for awhile.

archer75 said:
you still get the time they say you will get, which is 250 hours of HD. More than anything else dish has by miles.

And now your telling me that the primetime stuff goes on it's on partition and is not counted against that? I consider that a huge positive!
Then you would absolutely love 500 hours of HD or 2000 hours of SD. ;)

P Smith said:
Usually the company doing hard coded partitioning - no one chance to do changes of that. It was same pitch from many ppl, when we got the knowledge how big dedicated partition for VOD on the ViP models.
I remember that, and the complaints that followed about the poor placement of the intermediary screen, when all one wanted to do was go to Recorded Events.

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
BobaBird said:
You get the big 4 because a) they're on the same transponder, otherwise you'd need another tuner and b) those are the ones with a contract agreement. So PBS and CW may be possible someday. And yes, you can move shows from the PTA block to be saved in your space (post #10).
According to Engadget:
"12:32PM Now we've got a screenshot of that Prime Time Anytime toggle, it will record from all four major networks, plus two other channels of your choosing."
Apparently it isn't completely about contracts if you are allowed to pick "two other channels of your choosing".

When I mentioned trimming, I meant user selectable start/stop copying back to the user partition. Otherwise, if it is relying strictly on the guide to make the determination of start/stop, then that defeats a lot of the usefulness of the feature. Ultimately, I could set a timer and do a better job of dialing in shows which tend to run long.

Also, there is a big difference between moving and copying, with the latter being the preferred method. One would strongly hope that you don't get one shot at moving a show back to the user partition. Whereas, copying would allow for mistakes to be corrected.

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
phrelin said:
They really couldn't put 4 working USB ports on this thing???
I agree. Imagine purchasing a new top of the line computer and there is only two USB ports. The answer isn't, "buy a hub".

Additionally, I guess USB 3.0 wasn't available at the time of manufacturing in China.

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
dmspen said:
Hopper and Joey (kinda silly names if you ask me)....
I agree, it's cringing.

dmspen said:
What if you want two Joeys?
According to the pictures I've seen, the "Hopper" has two female F-connectors on the back. One is for the sat input and the other is for the remote control antenna. The "Joey" has one F-connector. Both units have Ethernet, the "Hopper" has two connectors.

I don't know how the "Hopper" connects to the "Joey". Both F-connectors are accounted for, unless the signal is split at the sat input and sent back to the "Joey". In order to use two or more "joey" remote boxes, I would guess that you would need a passive bi-directional 1GHz MoCA splitter and could daisy chain them.

Update: Here's a wiring diagram:

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
butters said:
From www.dishnetwork.com/hopper Looks like you are covered.

"Watch the latest movies in exciting 3D without a trip to the movie theater. Hopper includes On Demand, new-release 3D titles each month."
Shortly, that might be the only place you can watch 3D titles. :lol:

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
What about the brand of the 2 TB drive in the 813 (sounds better:))? It goes without saying that it's still early to know which brand is going to be initially used. Yet, in general a lot of recent hard drive reviews I've read indicate that a portion of large capacity drives (greater than 1 GB) are either DOA from the factory or shortly thereafter, going belly up. Longevity seems to be with the older and smaller capacity drives.

Making matters worse, floods, production issues and increasing costs, might mean that the 2 TB drive that's installed may come from various sources. Which could contribute to an increase of inconsistent quality among the 813 receivers.

I see from other images that the fan is on the left side and a vent on the right. I'm guessing that they placed the hard drive next to the vent. I attempted to look at the insides from the link at EKB, but the FCC page returns, "You are not authorized to access this page." BobaBird, you might want to look into why the page is not accessible.

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
bobabird (in the other thread) said:
blowgun said:
Do you know how DISH determine 53 percent? It sounds like DISH is collecting subscriber information from their receivers or it's a limited sample based on website traffic.
I think it's from what the STB reports to the mother ship.
Interesting. Do you know how much information is obtained by the mother ship? For example, do they know who you are, if you paused and if you skipped a commercial, even while watching a recorded event? Or is the simple answer, everything?

Whatever the extent, I doubt what's collected stays in-house. And, to keep this on topic, I wonder if the new Hopper also contains improvements to these "features".

blowgun (in the other thread) said:
p smith said:
- purpose of second Ethernet port ?
Hopper stacking for additional Joey's?
Based on the above, I'm not all that thrilled to even use the first Ethernet port. ;)

bobabird (in this thread) said:
I get the same error and don't recall how the page was titled. Searching for xip813 yields no results.
Perhaps the answer is in the locked "XiP813" thread from P Smith, which is located HERE. In that thread, P Smith included the FCC ID to search the FCC and attached a PDF document which includes two internal images. Perhaps this was what you linked?

Speaking of images; I was surprised to see the big red reset button behind the door. Not that I was expecting to see a button the size need by a skier with gloves on, just that it would be placed more conveniently on the front. Such as how the dual purpose power button worked. I guess these days the reset button is considered as one of those seldom used buttons now that programming has improved so much. :grin:

In any case, whether the Hopper uses Hitachi, Seagate or Western Digital drives, and how well those 2 TB hard drives in the first batch of Hoppers holds up, remains to be seen. With more than 75 percent of the drive used exclusively for DISH purposes, the drives are probably going to rack as they suck up all that daily data. It's no wonder they added a heat exhaust pipe to the hard drive directly in front of the fan.

I suppose DISH can sell some of that customer data they're collecting back to the respective failed hard drive manufacturers. That way later batches of Hoppers, we'll call them Rev B models, will not only have the motherboard improvements, but will also have the improved 2 TB hard drives. Perhaps I'll wait for Rev C just in case. :lol:

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
BobaBird said:
No idea, but don't you think you could find a healthier snack than that? ;)
I did write SHIP, not CHIP. ;)

BobaBird said:
Tried one more thing and found it! Internal pics are at [URL removed] and the EKB link has been updated.
Unfortunately, that URL also doesn't work and ultimately you may have to store the file locally and link from that. Click HERE to download the PDF or use this URL directly. The URL is from P Smiths original post.

jimb said:
Explain the Joey box, if I have currently have 2 DVRs, replacing the 1st with a hopper and I remove the 2nd a vip 622 and plug in a Joey connecting it to the existing coax cable from the 622, what can be done to get a 3rd TV? Can the 3rd TV use another Joey and connect to just an Ethernet or wifi to access the Hopper?
Here's a typical wiring diagram:

jefte1 said:
I know on my hd receiver:) the end of certain shows cut off by 30 seconds or so.
It could be that DISH system time is not in sync with the networks time, the receiver doesn't flush the record buffer and/or the networks is intentionally running the blocks long. DISH timers work on 5 minute intervals, so without adding padding to the timer you'll going to miss the end of the show. And, if you are running back to back timers on different networks, other than finding a different airing, there's usually not much you can do.

jefte1 said:
Will the new Hopper correct this with out having to extend the recording time?
As I understand, the Prime-Time Anytime feature records all four networks in their entirety between 8pm and 11pm. I'm told that you can then COPY what you want out of this. What isn't clear is whether the copy will be based on the guide data or you'll be able to pad the copy. If it's the former, you'll run into the same problem.

jefte1 said:
Seams like the recording stops just shy of the hour. for example, if a show ends at 9pm the recording stops just shy of 9pm.
If you are not recording back to back shows and you don't have padding set, then it sounds like a network time sync issue.

jefte1 said:
Also the hooper is suppose to record all the network shows with one push of a button and delete after 1 week. what if you want certain shows to stay until you get the time to watch them.I certain shows now and watch them when i can,sometimes it will take me longer than a week to watch my shows.
You'll have to save them out of Prime-Time Anytime, otherwise they will fall off the back and be replaced with the following weeks recording.

I personally don't find the Prime-Time Anytime feature all that compelling, so I would probably disable it and set timers the way I have always set timers.

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
BobaBird said:
I've seen PTAT in Dish documents, and I like it better because the cadence of saying PTAT more closely matches PrimeTime Anytime.
While I agree that there is a certain cadence to PTAT, however PTAT isn't accurate. I think what matters more is what current and future subscribers are going to see when they go to DISH's own website. Currently that reads:

"The Hopper's exclusive feature, PrimeTime Anytime™, gives you instant On Demand access to your favorite shows...."​

So, DISH calls the feature "PrimeTime Anytime" and not "PrimeTime AnyTime". Probably because DISH is aware that "PrimeTime" isn't a real word and should be spelled using either a space or a hyphen at the very least. And, that Anytime is not spelled with two words mashed together. Hence, their own capitalization on their website makes the acronym PTA. That makes PTAT more or less wishful thinking, than accurate. ;)

On a different matter; I agree that the PTA feature should be smart 24/7 and take full advantage of multiplexing whenever possible. I too would also hope that the Hopper would be smart enough to extend prime time should earlier prime time programming exceed the cut off point of 11pm. Having said that and I would be glad to be wrong, I bet PTA doesn't extend. If there is a game on earlier and the schedule gets shifted a ½ hour, there goes the identification of the killer on CSI. Of course, that depends on how accurate the EPG is, and as mention elsewhere, on the whole, day by day the EPG is getting worse, not better.

·
DHMO User
1,095 Posts
P Smith said:
I would add to the whole idea of PTA - your DVR sending reports each week, what you watch and how long including (it has a name: STB Heath ;)). So I'll not surprised of the PTA idea's source.
I wonder how many people would get just a little concern knowing that they were an unpaid marketing droid sending data back to the mother ship. And, those that do know, how many attempt to skew the data at every opportunity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.