DBSTalk Forum banner
141 - 160 of 294 Posts
910 Posts
No official information has been released yet on how an OTA will be connected to the Hopper so I don't have anything pertinent that I can add. Thanks.

HoTat2 said:
It is strongly rumored to be a USB connected OTA module which in that particular respect makes it like DIRECTV's AM21.

However Dish so far has released no official details for it.

· Mr. FixAnything
27,983 Posts
HoTat2 said:
It is strongly rumored to be a USB connected OTA module which in that particular respect makes it like DIRECTV's AM21.

However Dish so far has released no official details for it.
From CES talk by dish ppl - these OTA tuners are generic from a shelf, they do testing a few models from different mfgs.
That would big advantage against the DTV idea to use everything proprietary like AM-21]N].

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
P Smith said:
From CES talk by dish ppl - these OTA tuners are generic from a shelf, they do testing a few models from different mfgs.
That would big advantage against the DTV idea to use everything proprietary like AM-21]N].
I could get by without OTA tuners with DirecTV's HR34 with 5 tuners and the ability to record 5 at once(while watching a prerecorded program).DISH should thank their lucky stars they still have more basic channels in HD than DirecTV who has more sports and premium channels in HD now.Otherwise I would pay my EFT and Hop,Hop,out of here!.:nono2:

· AllStar
94 Posts
I am not familiar with the HR34 but I read that you can only access it from 4 rooms at time and only have 3 viewing programming concurrently. If this is true, then other than the ability to record 5 shows at once the actually connectivity and viewing options would be similar to the Hopper. Adding a 2nd Hopper (depending on cost) would give Dish the advantage.

1,043 Posts
"butters" said:
I am not familiar with the HR34 but I read that you can only access it from 4 rooms at time and only have 3 viewing programming concurrently. If this is true, then other than the ability to record 5 shows at once the actually connectivity and viewing options would be similar to the Hopper. Adding a 2nd Hopper (depending on cost) would give Dish the advantage.
You can have main tv and 3 clients all watching same time. Of you add second hopper you could add a second hr34 too.

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
phrelin said:
I remember that the 721 was replaced with a 522 and a 921 with a 622 or 722. But I'm not worried about getting some letter saying they're going to replace my 722 with a Hopper anytime soon.

Except for some firmware glitches, like the recently nightly program guide one due to the marketing-driven Blockbuster menu upgrade, the ViP DVR series are reliable HD workhorses. Yes, the 622 may be getting a little long of tooth, but there's still a lot of them out there

Now if some new format issue - say an "MPEG-X" for 3-D becomes a new compression standard in five-to-ten years - then we might see replacement. But my guess is I'll be dead by then.;)
When will the Hopper come out? I'm just interested in the 922.

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
butters said:
DIRECTV would have the edge. Add another HR34 and you have 5 full tuners where with the Hopper you're wasting a tuner duplicating the local prime time option. You would have 10 tuners compared to 6.

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
Shades228 said:
DIRECTV would have the edge. Add another HR34 and you have 5 full tuners where with the Hopper you're wasting a tuner duplicating the local prime time option. You would have 10 tuners compared to 6.
Now your only thinking of the tuners,when you consider Primetime Anytime (PTAT) for the 3 hours 8PM-11PM each Hopper can record 6 programs(while watching a prerecorded program) or you can turn off PTAT off of one of the Hoppers,so during that same time you would basically have 9 programs being recorded(while watching a prerecorded program).But if you want both to record PTAT(I don't know why you would it would be like 12 tuners.:eek2:

Now if DISH comes out with a USB Dual Tuner OTA box(which they should) there would be a probability that two Hoppers/wOTA would be able to record 11 programs during the primetime hours.:eek2:

While if you add the AM21(Dual Over The Air Tuners Box) to the HR34 the maximum recorded programs you can do with that setup is 5.:(

So you see it is possible for DISH to have the edge with the Hopper.;)

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
Jhon69 said:
Now your only thinking of the tuners,when you consider Primetime Anytime (PTAT) for the 3 hours 8PM-11PM each Hopper can record 6 programs(while watching a prerecorded program) or you can turn off PTAT off of one of the Hoppers,so during that same time you would basically have 9 programs being recorded(while watching a prerecorded program).But if you want both to record PTAT(I don't know why you would it would be like 12 tuners.:eek2:

Now if DISH comes out with a USB Dual Tuner OTA box(which they should) there would be a probability that two Hoppers/wOTA would be able to record 11 programs during the primetime hours.:eek2:

While if you add the AM21(Dual Over The Air Tuners Box) to the HR34 the maximum recorded programs you can do with that setup is 5.:(

So you see it is possible for DISH to have the edge with the Hopper.;)
There are some assumptions in there that I don't think are going to pan out like they're stated. However until it's in the field it's all speculation. I personally feel that 5 tuners to do what I want is better than 3 even with PTAT. I know this is the DISH side of the board so there is bias but overall with the fact that they have stated hoppers will only work with joeys and that PTAT is only appealing to a few (I don't know anyone who records all prime time shows every night) I feel that DISH has again limited their technology. If they had made the hopper/joey system compatible with existing equipment they wouldn't have the limitations I see. I'm nowhere near an expert on DISH installations at all but I don't know how DISH handles having say 10+ tuners setup. OTA also doesn't have an impact on me due to where I am and the crap signals we get. It's cheaper to add receivers than get the equipment needed to get OTA here.

So for instance my setup will have 2 HR34's (10 tuners) just to record programs 4 HR24 HD DVRs (8 tuners) to access the recordings, and record one time things that pop up if needed, on the HR34s. I can't see how it's possible to do this with the Hopper/Joey setup and retain the same recording ability as well as functionality without multiple Dish's.

Now to be fair the kids rooms could get away with RVU clients (removing 6 tuners) because DIRECTV hasn't released an RVU client that I'm willing to put in their rooms and I'm not willing to give up trick play in their rooms. With that said though the cost of an RVU client and a HD DVR with DIRECTV is identicle so there wouldn't be a reason to swap them out since I already have them.

So how would you get that setup done with the Hopper/Joey and what equipment would it take?

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
Shades228 said:
PTAT is only appealing to a few (I don't know anyone who records all prime time shows every night)
One does not need to record all prime time shows every night to get a benefit out of PTA. The benefit begins when one wants any two overlapping shows. That happens in my household.

I don't know how DISH handles having say 10+ tuners setup.
Currently they don't. The Hopper/Joey is their first entry into the concept of household wide tuners. Their current systems are based on single or dual satellite tuner receivers with single or dual OTA receivers built in. Their current dishes are designed to feed up to three such receivers. Using separate switches one can feed up to eight such receivers (16 satellite tuners). But no shared content (other than TV1 and TV2 on the same receiver ... technology introduced in 2003).

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
James Long said:
One does not need to record all prime time shows every night to get a benefit out of PTA. The benefit begins when one wants any two overlapping shows. That happens in my household.

Currently they don't. The Hopper/Joey is their first entry into the concept of household wide tuners. Their current systems are based on single or dual satellite tuner receivers with single or dual OTA receivers built in. Their current dishes are designed to feed up to three such receivers. Using separate switches one can feed up to eight such receivers (16 satellite tuners). But no shared content (other than TV1 and TV2 on the same receiver ... technology introduced in 2003).
Thank you James for answering Shades 228's question.When there is that many tuners involved I get lost very easily.:eek2:;)

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
1Q2012 = 1st Quarter 2012. Generally, the first three months of the year is the 1st Quarter.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Or 1Q2012="soon":

And I'm hoping that when folks here start writing about them I'll look like a cynical idiot when I say that early adopters will find themselves being Alpha Testers.

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
Since there are already some Beta testers, it would be hard for the new users to step back to alpha level.

As to the definition of 'soon' - well Dish is not alone in overusing that word, nor in how it is used. D* is quite good at it too! :)

Well, that and 'up to'!! :)

141 - 160 of 294 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.