DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legend
231 Posts
fuerion said:
I mean Louisville is DMA #48, and Abilene, TX for example is 164. I know they probably don't add channels by DMA ranking, but I would think it would have some bearing.
Market ranking may carry some weight. However, I think geographical location could play a part as well as the customer market percentage E* has in a particular market.

I'm wondering if it is easier for E* to get HD locals on 61.5° active in markets near the geographical center of the continental US than places farther east or west. A number of uplinked HD locals in Texas and Oklahoma are in close proximity of each other (Abilene, Wichita Falls/Lawton, Sherman/Ada, etc.). The Dallas market had some changes made to it, and it is very close to those other previously mentioned markets.

One other thing worth mentioning at least in regard to Wichita Falls/Lawton: D* doesn't have any local channel support in that market at all. Not in SD or HD. I'm pretty sure most satellite TV customers in that area are with E* -largely because of the locals situation.

·
Legend
231 Posts
I'm still wondering if geographical position in the country is a factor. Is it easier to spot beam a set of local channels to a position in Texas than it is to somewhere in Ohio or California?

·
Legend
231 Posts
E* appears to be working loosely in the order of when each market was uplinked to the satellite. Some markets are lighting up earlier than others.

According to the E* Knowledge Base page on HD locals these are the markets currently uplinked to 61.5° in HD, but not yet available:

Greenville, NC - uplinked 3/12/08
Beaumont, TX - uplinked 3/19/08
Fargo, ND - uplinked 4/2/08
Florence/Myrtle Beach - uplinked 4/2/08
Madison, WI - uplinked 4/2/08
Sherman, TX/Ada, OK - uplinked 4/2/08
South Bend, IN - uplinked 4/2/08
Wichita Falls, TX/Lawton, OK - uplinked 4/2/08
Albany, NY - uplinked 4/9/08
Burlington, VT - uplinked 4/9/08
Chattanooga, TN - uplinked 4/9/08
Waco, TX - uplinked 4/9/08
Lansing, MI - uplinked 4/16/08
Syracuse, NY - uplinked 4/16/08
Scranton, PA - uplinked 5/21/08

With regards to what markets get HD first, I think the largest markets would get it first but I have also heard that the local stations can really muck things up. If a local network station in a paticular market is being a pest about signing up it can delay the whole market from getting done.
I do not understand why any TV would do this since it would only serve to put them at a competitive disadvantage for ad revenue with rival TV stations.

The ABC affiliate in my viewing market (KSWO channel 7 out of Lawton, OK) resisted allowing E* to re-broadcast their signal. They held to that until the three network affiliates south of the Red River in Wichita Falls started beating them up about it when pitching local businesses on TV commercial ad packages, "your ad will get seen on satellite with our station, but not with KSWO." Channel 7 changed their tune really fast.

We have over half a million in our county and probably close to 800K in our local TV market. D* has had local HD's in our market for quite a while and we are still waiting for E*.
That could actually be hurting rather than helping the cause of getting locals in HD with E*. Echostar could be throwing more of its resources into markets where it has a higher percentage of the market.

·
Legend
231 Posts
As of July 9, it looks like the local HD channels for Atlanta, Birmingham, Minneapolis and Nashville are now duplicated on the 61.5° satellite. Their feeds on 129° or 119° are still active as well.

It also looks like some markets that have had HD local channels uplinked to 61.5° since March or early April have been getting leap-frogged by other markets over the last couple or so weeks. Markets like Albany, NY and Syracuse, NY were uplinked later, but made available to viewers already.

Several local markets get uplinked from the New Braunfels, TX facility. All of those have been uplinked in HD to 61.5° since early April, but Dallas & Austin are the only ones whose local HD channels have been uplinked from there and actually lit up on 61.5° (and the Dallas market was already available on 110°). The EKB lists the status for rest as being either "early 2Q '08" or "Summer/Fall '08".

·
Legend
231 Posts
E* seems to be doing these additions lately on a weekly basis (every Wednesday). Beaumont - Port Arthur, TX became available on 7/16, last Wednesday.

I wonder if E* is lighting up any new HD locals today. I'm hoping the Wichita Falls, TX - Lawton, OK market becomes available really soon.

·
Legend
231 Posts
Can you receive either of those channels over the air with an indoor or outdoor antennae? If so, that would give you a point of comparison between the DTV and NTSC broadcasts from those local stations.

I'm able to receive the DTV signal from our ABC affiliate in this market in SW OK. The local news and any other local programming is SD, but they do broadcast any HD-quality shows from ABC in 720p HD. I just wish the affiliates in Wichita Falls broadcast their signals at a higher strength.

·
Legend
231 Posts
The EKB News Monitor wrote this on July 7:

HD locals planned to launch by 30 July: Abilene, Fargo, Greenville NC, Madison, Myrtle Beach, Sherman-Ada, South Bend, Waco, Wichita Falls, Northeast Pennsylvania (Scranton, Wilkes-Barre).
I'm hoping that report is accurate. But nothing new has been posted on the "HD Locals" page of the Echostar Knowledge Base in almost a couple weeks. I wonder if various Texas and Oklahoma HD locals are getting pushed back a bit by the August 1 launch of the various national HD channels. It will be nice having the full HBO channel suite in HD.

I just wish the HD locals in my area could get lit ASAP since it will probably be at least another week or two after that point before an installer can add a wing dish to my Dish 1000.2. The Olympics are coming up pretty quick and I can't pick up the OTA HD signal from Wichita Falls worth a hoot.

·
Legend
231 Posts
I have a 1000.2 dish. To get the HD locals from 61.5° a wing dish will have to be installed. I don't care too much whether there's one dish or two on my rooftop as long as the signals are coming in properly.

·
Legend
231 Posts
The "dots" in Oklahoma are not placed clearly. The dot placement is generally pretty bad overall; I laughed at the Amarillo placement. Four green "dots" are shown on that poster. Logic would suggest the upper pair of dots would be Oklahoma City and Tulsa. That would have the lower pair be Lawton and Ada. Problem is the Lawton and Ada channels are identified with Wichita Falls, TX and Sherman, TX. So why aren't those dots placed over the Red River (which defines much of Oklahoma's southern border with Texas)?

One of my friends had his Dish Network setup upgraded for TurboHD Gold + Platinum channels along with AT250. The installer (based in Wichita Falls) hasn't heard anything of the Wichita Falls-Lawton market being lighted up at all. He just knew that E* missed the July 30 target for turning on the HD locals. As far as they know, the new target is "fall" or "soon."

·
Legend
231 Posts
The Sherman, TX - Ada, OK locals (like several others in this region of the country) are currently uplinked only on the satellite at 61.5°.

I would prefer it if the Wichita Falls, TX - Lawton, OK locals were lit up on the bird at 129°. There would be no need to add a second wing dish on my 1000.2 model. Since many of the new HD locals have been lighting up only on 61.5°, I'm just planning on my market doing the same thing whenever it finally lights up as well.

BTW, why does E* insist on omitting "Lawton, OK" from the Wichita Falls, TX - Lawton, OK market verbiage? They list Wichita Falls only. The ABC affiliate for that market broadcasts from Lawton. The city of Lawton has nearly the same population as Wichita Falls. Lawton may surpass Wichita Falls in population over the next couple years due to major BRAC related expansion happening on Fort Sill.

·
Legend
231 Posts
I guess I'm getting a little more annoyed with the foot dragging from E* on adding any new HD locals.

For about the past month D* has been steadily adding roughly 3 new HD locals markets every week. E* hasn't done anything significant in the HD locals area since early July.

Several markets (including the one serving my area of the country) have been uplinked and ready to go since early April. But little to anything at all has been happening in that regard since then.

It would seem like the task of making more HD locals available to E* customers would have a currently high priority.

The new NFL season kicks off tonight (NY Giants and Washington on NBC). E* customers depend mostly on major network channels for NFL coverage. ESPN covers only 1 or 2 games per week. NFL Network isn't going to be showing games live until halfway through the season.

The fall TV season is about to get underway with no writer's strike to screw up things either.

I hardly watch the SD versions of my local channels via satellite because they look like garbage. I get the ABC affiliate over the air in HD, but they don't have any NFL games.

Anyway, I just don't understand the holdup on making more of these HD locals available. E* is going to have to get on the stick about this promptly if they intend to reach that year end goal of 100 HD locals markets being covered.

·
Legend
231 Posts
They are adding locals in the east on Eastern Arc, new locals in the west will not come until the new 129 satellite is up.
That replacement satellite is supposed to be launched when, late October? November? Add weeks or even months of testing once the "bird" reaches the 129° position. On that time table it could be February or March of 2009 before the replacement satellite becomes fully operational.

It sounds like yet another reason why it seems increasingly doubtful that E* has any chance at all of reaching at that end of 2008 goal of 100 markets of HD local channels.

·
Legend
231 Posts
In all fairness, the "addition" for the Wichita Falls / Lawton market was hardly an "add" at all. Just one channel out of four. LAME.

I don't know the reasons behind why Sherman/Ada was downgraded from HD to just SD on the local channel uplink and addition plans. But E* did it.

Wichita Falls/Lawton isn't Dallas, but it isn't a tiny viewing market either. Both of those cities each have well over 100,000 residents in their respective metro areas. Other surrounding towns within the DMA like Altus, Duncan, Chickasha, Seymour, Vernon, etc. (as well as the rural population in the many counties included in the DMA) bring the total near half a million potential viewers. The market is large enough to justify E* carrying all four major network affiliates in HD. Just one local channel in HD isn't going to cut it. That will just have many E* customers in this market rooting for D* to finally get their act in gear and counter E* with a complete set of HD locals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.