DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, Friday Night Lights was unwatchable and when I would attempt to play it, it would lock up the DVR and force a restart.

This is probably the 8 or 9th unwatchable show I have had, in addition to missed recordings, mystery cancellations and unexplainable lock-ups forcing restarts and loss of guide data. I gave the thing a chance and kept fighting the growing frustration but I have reached my breaking point.

This thing has some great features but it is unfit for reliable viewing. I moved my HR20 out of my Home Theater room and downstairs.

My RELIABLE HR10-250 has replaced it in my main TV room. I have been double recording all my stuff on the HR20 and my Comcast HD DVR just in case and I have had to use the backup system a lot...I feel much safer knowing that Tivo will not fail me.

If DirecTV ever gets their act together, the thing has potential. As it stands now, it is worse than a beta box.

· Godfather
485 Posts
Just a thought:

It seems to be divided with HR-20's that work very well and HR-20's that are completely worthless. Could the issue be something else? A bad recording and a forced reboot seems to me to point to hardware. Say a bad HD or SATA interface. Seriously, I can't be the first to say this, but what are the odds of getting a bad batch of HD's or IC's. Having a bad sector on a HD could definitely cause a crash. Look at the launch of the 360, it was a hardware problem not software, and it only effected a small group of owners.

Is there an identifying serial number or manufacture code that could be compared on the units reported to be working and ones that are not? I think this would be an interesting comparison.:confused:

· Godfather
340 Posts
jgrade said:
Just a thought:

It seems to be divided with HR-20's that work very well and HR-20's that are completely worthless. Could the issue be something else? A bad recording and a forced reboot seems to me to point to hardware. Say a bad HD or SATA interface. Seriously, I can't be the first to say this, but what are the odds of getting a bad batch of HD's or IC's. Having a bad sector on a HD could definitely cause a crash. Look at the launch of the 360, it was a hardware problem not software, and it only effected a small group of owners.

Is there an identifying serial number or manufacture code that could be compared on the units reported to be working and ones that are not? I think this would be an interesting comparison.:confused:
How dare you suggest it is a hardware issue. Don't you know what could happen to you in this forum for even thinking that? :blackeye: :kickbutt: :uglyhamme

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
jgrade said:
Just a thought:

It's possible, I suppose. But that would say very bad things about their quality control systems.

· Icon
545 Posts
If everyone is running the same software ver. and some people are having massive problems and others are having very few problems, is it software or hardware? :confused:

My thoughts, it's some software and a lot of hardware??

And MPEG4 encoding has A LOT to do with it! But hey I'm not a "software enginier", and this is a wild guess on my part!

Oh! I just figured out why I'm not having very many problems with my HR20, it's realy a h10-250, somebody just wrote "HR20" on the front with a black marker!
:lol: :lol: :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.