DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the Preview Showroom slate that was displayed last week the list of TOP-120/180 channels in preview was to remain in effect until November 1st.

At least one of those channels dissappeared: ESPN U (or as it's being called by the local media here "ESPN PU" since it's the first OSU game not being shown on "free TV"). The channel got pulled just in time for us without TOP-180 to miss the Indianna @ Ohio State game today. I wonder if ESPN/Disney wanted to charge E* extra due to this game being shown.

Last time I looked at the calandar it's not November 1st yet. RAVE & Fine Living are still there, I really didn't pay attention to the TOP-120 channels since I already get those.

What's the deal?

· Legend
109 Posts
Wasn't HBO supposed to be free this weekend too?

Maybe they use a different calendar out there in Colorado. :D

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None of the other AT 180/120 channels got pulled, only ESPN U around the same time we started getting the HBO preview.

This thisn is the slate stated "until Novenber 1st" and ESPN U was on that slate (until the HBO preview went up). I had a recording set for the OSU game (ESPN U was in the 9 day guide in the showroom area). In the EPG of Showtime preview the "Off air" message was in the 9- day guide after the preview ended. Not so for ESPN U - because it was supposed to be in free preview until Nov. 1st!

· Hall Of Fame
1,355 Posts
Michael P said:
None of the other AT 180/120 channels got pulled, only ESPN U around the same time we started getting the HBO preview.

This thisn is the slate stated "until Novenber 1st" and ESPN U was on that slate (until the HBO preview went up). I had a recording set for the OSU game (ESPN U was in the 9 day guide in the showroom area). In the EPG of Showtime preview the "Off air" message was in the 9- day guide after the preview ended. Not so for ESPN U - because it was supposed to be in free preview until Nov. 1st!
Maybe ESPN had a problem with it and told Dish to pull it. I'm 98.6% positive they didn't do it just to piss you off. But then again, maybe they did!!!!!:eek2:

· Super Moderator
54,024 Posts
The disclaimer at the bottom of the screen states "Programming subject to change without notice." It would be nice to have better notice, especially when the EPG outlives the channel.

BTW: For the HBO preview the EPG went beyond the days that the channels were available. I almost set some timers up for next weekend on the 280's by mistake. (Name search for a few movies.)

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
James Long said:
The disclaimer at the bottom of the screen states "Programming subject to change without notice." It would be nice to have better notice, especially when the EPG outlives the channel.

BTW: For the HBO preview the EPG went beyond the days that the channels were available. I almost set some timers up for next weekend on the 280's by mistake. (Name search for a few movies.)
Yeah, what about that discalimer? I can barely read it in the sea of pixels that message swims in :rolleyes:

Is it just my 921 and receiver, or does the free preview slate pixelate badly (especialy the small print at the bottom) for other models? You would think that a still picture would not suffer from compression artifacts.

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HDMe said:
I guess I keep coming back to... it's a free preview. Hard to complain about being ripped off by something that was free.
You have to understand something: Ohio State was on free TV for every game up until this one (either ABC or ESPN+ which can be picked-up by local stations).

Some E* subscribers (like me) thought they were getting ESPN U for free that day due to the wording on the slate. Had there been a warning some OSU fans might have upgraded to AT-180. Now it's too late. The local media (especially WEWS the ABC affilliate that also picks up all the ESPN+ games) was having a hissy-fit over the situation because few cable systems carry ESPN U and they were not allowed to pick up the game for OTA broadcast.

· Godfather
268 Posts
Michael P said:
You have to understand something: Ohio State was on free TV for every game up until this one (either ABC or ESPN+ which can be picked-up by local stations).

Some E* subscribers (like me) thought they were getting ESPN U for free that day due to the wording on the slate. Had there been a warning some OSU fans might have upgraded to AT-180. Now it's too late. The local media (especially WEWS the ABC affilliate that also picks up all the ESPN+ games) was having a hissy-fit over the situation because few cable systems carry ESPN U and they were not allowed to pick up the game for OTA broadcast.
A couple of weeks ago, ABC in Indiana simalcated an ESPNU game or two...why cant they just do that again?

· Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
agreer said:
A couple of weeks ago, ABC in Indiana simalcated an ESPNU game or two...why cant they just do that again?
Are you sure it was an ESPN U game and not an ESPN + game? Our ABC carries ESPN + games all the time, in fact I believe the only way to see ESPN + games is if a local station picks up the game.

If it were possible for our local ABC station (or any other locals station for that matter - we have an LPTV station that has carried OSU Basketball from ESPN +) to pick up this ESPN U game they would have.

The "U" means YOU have to get satellite (and a high tier package) to get the games. Few if any local cable systems carry ESPN U.

· Godfather
268 Posts
Michael P said:
Are you sure it was an ESPN U game and not an ESPN + game? Our ABC carries ESPN + games all the time, in fact I believe the only way to see ESPN + games is if a local station picks up the game.

If it were possible for our local ABC station (or any other locals station for that matter - we have an LPTV station that has carried OSU Basketball from ESPN +) to pick up this ESPN U game they would have.

The "U" means YOU have to get satellite (and a high tier package) to get the games. Few if any local cable systems carry ESPN U.
The game on ABC was the same as the one on CaTV channel~430 ESPNU channel I don't know the specifics of it...

As to ESPN+, those games are all availible in the "ESPN PPV" packs...NCAA Full court(basketball) and ESPN Gameplan(football)

· Legend
217 Posts
Michael P said:

It is the same here in Cincinnati the University of Cincinnati and XU play the crosstown shootout (basket ball) and this year it is on ESPNU which Warner cable does not carry.
There is some thought here that the only reason ESPN decided to put the game on ESPNU is to force Warner to pick up ESPNU

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.