DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subscribed to Direct HD DVR in April of this year for the first time. Sometime between 5 pm 9/7 and 8 am 9/9, all of my DVR content was deleted and replaced by content from a previous user - with dates of November, December and February. Movies from channels I don't subscribe to, and series recordings that are not mine.

My series manager was NOT disturbed, and picked back up again the morning of 9/9 as scheduled, so now my DVR content includes a few of my own recordings (in the last 24 hours) and a bunch of other stuff I've never seen before.

I called DTV tech support and they were mystified, said no code downloads to the box since June, nothing that would have precipitated such an odd event. Of course they also said this should never NEVER happen (no kidding...)

Has anyone else heard of this? I'm not too hopeful of getting my content back at this point, but would like to know what happened so I can avoid it in the future if possible. I was pretty miffed about losing all my recordings! :(

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Stupid question maybe, but do you normally use an external drive on your DVR? That could possibly explain the recordings, but you should have seen them before, and your series manager shouldn't be there if it lot connection to the drive.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No external drive, but I think you might have hit something - I am in an apartment building and am connected to the internal DirectTV system with my own settop box, so this would be an MDU system. Do you suppose I have my NEIGHBOR's content as opposed to a previous user?

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Binnster said:
No external drive, but I think you might have hit something - I am in an apartment building and am connected to the internal DirectTV system with my own settop box, so this would be an MDU system. Do you suppose I have my NEIGHBOR's content as opposed to a previous user?
A quick way to check:

Change your playlist option from "all" to "local".
If they disappear, then most likely they're your neighbor's and you need a bandstop filter at your units access point to stop the coax network sharing.

For now I'd disable remote deleting also under the whole home menu.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick update - I did verify I could play back the other content; and a few hours later, it was gone from my playlist. Unfortunately, my old content didn't magically reappear; but my regular series are still firing as expected.

I couldn't find a playlist option "all" or "local" but I did change the Whole Home option to prevent remote deletion.

What are the odds of me calling customer support and asking for a bandstop filter... and then getting one? Is this something I can pick up at Radio Shack for under $10? If so, I'll get one today.

Thanks again for the info and suggestions, I never would have thought about the MDU angle. And I am mildly amused at the idea of one of my neighbors getting my boatload of recordings. Just mildly... I'd rather have them back.

· Registered
12,609 Posts
You'll need to call DirecTV to request a Stop Band Filter. You won't find it a Radio Shack. Or you can order one from dealers like Solid Signal.

Sounds like your neighbor also suddenly saw all of your recordings on their Playlist and decided to delete them. Bummer. Typically the company that maintains your apartment's satellite equipment should provide stop band filters to prevent this sort of thing from happening. But some customers procure their own equipment without notifying them, and then problems like this can arise.

· Legend
151 Posts
This is why only some MDUs are whole home eligible. A lot of techs will order bits and pieces to make a swim system whole home capable and this can be a byproduct. When you call in to order a bandstop filter, you can expect to get some resistance, just say you spoke to a senior tech rep and he suggested it outside policy. There will not be a charge for one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.