DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru
443 Posts
P* receivers are useless. There is only 1 channel that used the standard that P* used (FamilyNet), and no one has bothered to make an upgrade for the P* receivers inorder to receive just 1 channel.

·
443 Posts
Steve, I would recomend the Pansat 2100A. Though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a higher priced model it is very economical. Mine was $125 from KUSat.

For instance on the 2100A you have to put in the frequency and symbol rate (which can be found on Lyngsat) the more expensive models will search the KU Band frequencies and Symbol Rates for you.

The 2100A also has text (if a channel is sending out a program guide you can get it). The memory is 1,000 video and 1,000 audio channels (though I have nowhere near achieved that). It has diseqc 2.0 (sp?) so you can combine 4 dishes (or sources) with a satellite switch. For instance my setup has a 2.0 switch. Slot A is Telstar 5, Slot B is AMC-5(Vertical), Slot C is AMC-5(Horzontal), Slot D is empty. My PrimeStar dish is the one with the Horizontal and Vertical outputs so AMC-5 takes two slots.

Other cool features is the Channel List where you can quickly go through the channels with the channel in a small PIP rather than surf through the channels (which is slower). And an Info button that will show the channel statics including a signal strength meter rather than going through the menus to find the info.

·
443 Posts
Steve, there are several sites that will give you the AZ/EL. KUSat, Lyngsat, etc... some sites have programs you can download (I don't remember where they are). Skew isn't all that important at first. Once you get aimed to the satellite you want, just start turing the LNB back and forth till you get the highest signal.

For some strange reason my P* dish is a few degrees lower than what the programs say, so if you don't hit the satellite on what the programs say start turning the elevation lower. The FTA receivers don't make any "beep beep" sound on the signal strength screen so you will either need someone inside yelling at you, or if you are like me and can't trust anyone to relay the highest possible signal you'll need to take a little TV and the receiver to the dish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.