DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legend
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one noticed the following behavior with the HR20?

Series links request three shows to record. Two are from 9pm - 10pm. One is from 8pm to 9:02pm.

The 8pm to 9:02pm gets bumped completely and does not record at all.

I haven't tried to reproduce this, but it's my best guess as to what happened.

It seems the show should have recorded at least from 8 to 9.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
What order are the shows in the prioritizer.

If the 9:02pm is BELOW both of the 9pm shows..
It will get bumped... as the two 9pm have higher priority to record then does your 8pm-9:02pm

And since the HR20 can't complete the recording to 9:02pm, because you told it to record the other two at 9pm... it doesn't record any of it.

It is all or nothing

·
Legend
187 Posts
DVRcoholic said:

Series links request three shows to record. Two are from 9pm - 10pm. One is from 8pm to 9:02pm.

I don't know of any DVR that would do that, and I have used the HR20, DirecTv tivo, and cable HD DVR. The lowest show in the prioritizer would be bumped in every unit.

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
DVRcoholic said:

Yeah, what Earl said. The box probably needs to reserve the exclusive use of a tuner for the entire duration of a recording, so it finds a problem w/ the other 9pm shows and said "no can't do".

·
Legend
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I understand the rationale for the Prioritizing. It's obvious now that I can't just assume that since there was no conflict when I created a series link, that there never will be.

So what does everybody do?

Make it a point to Prioritize EVERY Series Link?

Check the ToDo List EVERY day to make sure no conflicts have come up?
(OK, maybe EVERY week would suffice.)

Something else?

I would like to see a feature with some sort of message or popup that is generated whenever a program in a Series Link gets cancelled due to a conflict. I would definitely have this enabled all the time.

And while I'm at it, any plans for more informative messages in the History List than "This showing is over." :rolleyes:

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Tivo has, at least on my S2. a 'clip' feature that would record the 8 - 9:02 show until 9, when the other two higher priority shows started.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Hmm, the R15 would have recorded the partial in this case. I would have expected the HR20 to be the same.

·
Legend
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
walters said:
Hmm, the R15 would have recorded the partial in this case. I would have expected the HR20 to be the same.
I thought I had seen my HR10 record the partial and then switch to the higher priority show, but I haven't had a chance to test this.

I am quite certain that the HR20 bumped the lower priority show completely. :(

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
For a TiVo to do that would be the "Overlap Protection" feature, which was added in 7.2.1. As such, I believe it is only on the standalones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.