DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got the message "There is no room in the Prioritizer to schedule this request. You must delete an existing item to free space" while trying to schedule a new series link. My Prioritizer has 50 items.

Are you kidding me?

OK, I'm a reasonable guy and I've given the HR20 the benefit of the doubt while finding shows missing, locking up, etc. But this is clearly a hard-coded limit. Why should the box limit the number of series recordings that I make? And if a hard-coded limit is needed, 50 is a ridiculous number. Now I'm pissed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
mrshermanoaks said:
Today I got the message "There is no room in the Prioritizer to schedule this request. You must delete an existing item to free space" while trying to schedule a new series link. My Prioritizer has 50 items.

Are you kidding me?

OK, I'm a reasonable guy and I've given the HR20 the benefit of the doubt while finding shows missing, locking up, etc. But this is clearly a hard-coded limit. Why should the box limit the number of series recordings that I make? And if a hard-coded limit is needed, 50 is a ridiculous number. Now I'm pissed.
This has been discussed: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=64666&highlight=series+link+limit.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
mrshermanoaks said:
Today I got the message "There is no room in the Prioritizer to schedule this request. You must delete an existing item to free space" while trying to schedule a new series link. My Prioritizer has 50 items.

Are you kidding me?

OK, I'm a reasonable guy and I've given the HR20 the benefit of the doubt while finding shows missing, locking up, etc. But this is clearly a hard-coded limit. Why should the box limit the number of series recordings that I make? And if a hard-coded limit is needed, 50 is a ridiculous number. Now I'm pissed.
Yep, I am @ 47 and dreading hitting the limit.

I don't understand hard a fixed number. I know I am in denial but I hope they remove this limit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
btmoore said:
Yep, I am @ 47 and dreading hitting the limit.

I don't understand hard a fixed number. I know I am in denial but I hope they remove this limit.
I'm wondering if the auto records of searches is included in this limit.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
Vinny said:
I'm wondering if the auto records of searches is included in this limit.
I am 99% sure auto records are treated as a line item in the priortizer.

But I'll have to check that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Vinny said:
I'm wondering if the auto records of searches is included in this limit.
I don't believe it is.

Edit: Earl corrects me before I even post... heh

Btw: You hit 50 already? That's a hell of a lot of tv!
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And people find this acceptable? That's the craziest thing I ever heard, it's a fatal flaw as far as I'm concerned.

New marketing slogan: "The DirecTV DVR - For people who like TV, but not too much..."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I don't believe it is.

Edit: Earl corrects me before I even post... heh

Btw: You hit 50 already? That's a hell of a lot of tv!
I didn't hit the 50 limit yet; the original poster (mrshermanoaks) got the message that he did. However, if I decided to auto record some of my searches; I might get close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Vinny said:
I didn't hit the 50 limit yet; the original poster (mrshermanoaks) got the message that he did. However, if I decided to auto record some of my searches; I might get close.
Good point. I hope they increase it before I get close to the limit...
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PoitNarf said:
Btw: You hit 50 already? That's a hell of a lot of tv!
I like TV. :grin: I thought PVRs were supposed to be for people who liked to watch TV.

I don't necessarily watch everything I record, and my wife and I watch some different stuff. I work from home, so I've always got something playing in the background.

Honest to god, I may have to return this thing. I'm stunned that they would build this thing to stand alone (dual tuners and no way to stream from other units) and then build in an artificial limit like that. Like I said, I've given the development team a lot of benefit of the doubt on this unit. But this just tipped the scales for me.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Do manual recordings show up in the prioritizer as well?
Manual re-occuring do.

But the ToDo list on HR20 is extremely high... I have hit 400 items in the todo list with no cap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Manual re-occuring do.

But the ToDo list on HR20 is extremely high... I have hit 400 items in the todo list with no cap.
I haven't seen a manual record in the Prioritizer (not doubting you Earl); but they do appear in the To Do list. I don't know what a manual re-occurring is, though. Wouldn't that be the same as a series link which would in fact be listed in the prioritizer.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vinny said:
I haven't seen a manual record in the Prioritizer (not doubting you Earl); but they do appear in the To Do list. I don't know what a manual re-occurring is, though. Wouldn't that be the same as a series link which would in fact be listed in the prioritizer.
A manual recurring recording does show up in the Prioritizer. I use these for The Daily Show and Colbert Report, since I want to record them in their re-run slot at 5am PST Tuesday-Friday. I can't use a series link to set this up, because I don't want "first run" (conflicts with other stuff), and I don't want them to record over and over during the day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Vinny said:
I haven't seen a manual record in the Prioritizer (not doubting you Earl); but they do appear in the To Do list. I don't know what a manual re-occurring is, though. Wouldn't that be the same as a series link which would in fact be listed in the prioritizer.
A manual reoccuring recording is like "record channel x at time y every z days". Not quite the same as a Series Link which should figure out the dates and times on its own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
PoitNarf said:
A manual reoccuring recording is like "record channel x at time y every z days". Not quite the same as a Series Link which should figure out the dates and times on its own.
Ohhhh....thanks for that info. You live and learn!
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
731 Posts
Is is REDICULOUS I totally agree. AND get this.. a search history of 25 items. I am ALWAYS treading on water with that one too.

With DISH I never reached the limits.

I am ALWAYS at 50/25 for this dang unit. Really bad flaw in my case as well.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just hope someone at DirecTV is listening to this. If they thought that somehow DVR users weren't going to notice this limit or think that it was a problem, they're sorely mistaken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
mrshermanoaks said:
I just hope someone at DirecTV is listening to this. If they thought that somehow DVR users weren't going to notice this limit or think that it was a problem, they're sorely mistaken.
The more noise we make about it, the better a shot it has of being increased. If you guys want this limit upped, keep making a ruckus to D* about it. I'll try to do the same.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does it make a difference if I call DirecTV to complain? Do they track that kind of stuff?
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top