DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· DBSTalk Club Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very curious about the prioritizer and series record options. Currently I have shows that run multiple times in the week (Battlestar Galactica, HBO shows, etc.) set lower on my prioritizer list in the hopes that if there are 2 broadcast shows on NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. being recorded at the same time as the first showing of Battlestar Galactica, for example. Then HR20 would record the higher priority shows, and then automatically pick up a later showing of Battlestar Galactica even if it is not the first showing for the week.

Does anyone know for certain that is how the HR20 programming is actually working? If it is not suppose to work this way, then I would want to increase the priority for some of those "multiple showing" shows.

· Registered
2,158 Posts
wheelswagz said:
I have been very curious about the prioritizer and series record options. Currently I have shows that run multiple times in the week (Battlestar Galactica, HBO shows, etc.) set lower on my prioritizer list in the hopes that if there are 2 broadcast shows on NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. being recorded at the same time as the first showing of Battlestar Galactica, for example. Then HR20 would record the higher priority shows, and then automatically pick up a later showing of Battlestar Galactica even if it is not the first showing for the week.

Does anyone know for certain that is how the HR20 programming is actually working? If it is not suppose to work this way, then I would want to increase the priority for some of those "multiple showing" shows.
I can report that this feature has worked and is working for me. There have been times when a 3rd recording would have been a conflict; but the HR20 found the next showing of the show causing the conflict and re-scheduled it. Usually, you would see the conflict icon and the next showing labled with an R.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
We have some MTV and FX shows that are replayed a million times in the week set up lower and it does seem to be working in that it's picking up the episode later, but IIRC, when I've checked it, it wasn't picking up the very next showing. Usually it's not a big deal, but I'll have to confirm this.

· Legend
187 Posts
I had the exact same scenario going. On previous builds, the to-do list did not display the later airings of BSG (or Dr. Who), but for a reason unknown to me wound up correctly recording them anyways. The current build I use, 10B, the to-do list does seem to show the future airings as well as record them properly. You should be fine.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
What's weird is I just checked my box and it wasn't set up to record the Real World (for my wife) at 10 tonight. Only one other thing was scheduled, Primetime, so it shouldn't have a problem. Then I checked the To Do List and it wasn't scheduled to record until next Weds at 4:30. You know that it's definitely being replayed way before that. In fact, MTV says it's schedule for 3 pm tomorrow, so why won't it record that one?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the guide data since there is no detailed information about each episode. But then, why does it know that the one next week is the same one it couldn't record, but not the one the next day.

· Icon
869 Posts
mtnagel said:
What's weird is I just checked my box and it wasn't set up to record the Real World (for my wife)
Uh, huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :hurah:

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I can confirm that the programming works. Can I say it works right 100% of the time? Seriously, I don't spend every waking hour in front of the TV....

· Legend
130 Posts
lamontcranston said:
I can confirm that the programming works. Can I say it works right 100% of the time? Seriously, I don't spend every waking hour in front of the TV....
The point of a DVR that has series link is so you don't have to spend every waking hour in front of the TV. The problem is that with the current setup I can confirm that it has not worked in some cases, it has been hit or miss. I don't know how often, and I don't know why it missed. There is really no easy way to tell why something wasn't recorded and that is another big problem in my opinion.

· Icon
588 Posts
mtnagel said:
We have some MTV and FX shows that are replayed a million times in the week set up lower and it does seem to be working in that it's picking up the episode later, but IIRC, when I've checked it, it wasn't picking up the very next showing. Usually it's not a big deal, but I'll have to confirm this.
This is my experience. I have 50 prioritzer items. I prioritize in two ways, those single showing items on top (highest priority) and those multiple items on bottom (lower priority). Within each group I prioritize them.

I too have seen the exact same thing when 3 items are schedule to record, the lowest item getting skipped as it should, but not always the next showing (when there was not a conflict) being selected for the 3rd show. IT IS VERY STRANGE. Many times I have caught this and just manually selected the show.

I must also say that I have seen some shows being skipped (because it should due to 2 other shows recording) and then nothing selected to record even though other show times are in the guide and avail to record. But then a day or two later those same times get listed as to be recorded.

It is not clear when the ToDo (or prioritizer) gets "re-done".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.