DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing blank recordings recently. My DVR was recording almost 24/7 because I had a keyword search for the Summer Olympics. I think having 2 tuners going constantly for a couple of weeks caused my HR20-700 to crap out. Tuner 2 is giving me a 771 message. Resetting the receiver seems to fix the problem for a couple of days. And then it goes right back to the 771 message. Any show recorded on that tuner during this period ends up being a blank recording.

Anyway, getting to the point... I have an ESATA drive connected to my HR21-700. From reading other theads, it seems that the solution to the problem I have above will most likely end up resulting in me having to swap out the receiver for another HR2X. When I plug my ESATA drive into the new HR2X, will my shows still be there? Or will I lose everything? Thank you.

Brian

·
Legend
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's unfortunate. I understand the file sharing concerns that might have caused D* to take this approach. But if you ask me, it is a poor design. I have (literally) hundreds of recordings that I'm going to lose now because the DVR my eSATA drive is "married" to is now broken and likely will be replaced. Perhaps it should be tied to the Access Card instead of the receiver ID.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
IIRC, it will wipe the drive so if you can't put it back on the original DVR.

Mike

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Now, it will not wipe the drive. I've replaced drives myself. Everything is still on there, it's jut not going to allow you to view it. They're just taking up room.
However, all Series Links, Favorites, setting, will all be kept (I know, rather have the recordings).

·
Premium Member
25,275 Posts
breevesdc said:
I have been experiencing blank recordings recently. My DVR was recording almost 24/7 because I had a keyword search for the Summer Olympics. I think having 2 tuners going constantly for a couple of weeks caused my HR20-700 to crap out. Tuner 2 is giving me a 771 message. Resetting the receiver seems to fix the problem for a couple of days. And then it goes right back to the 771 message. Any show recorded on that tuner during this period ends up being a blank recording.

Anyway, getting to the point... I have an ESATA drive connected to my HR21-700. From reading other theads, it seems that the solution to the problem I have above will most likely end up resulting in me having to swap out the receiver for another HR2X. When I plug my ESATA drive into the new HR2X, will my shows still be there? Or will I lose everything? Thank you.

Brian
I don't see how having the unit record both tuners all the time for two weeks should cause the unit to go bad.. I have both tuners going a lot,and that has never happened, and I do that on several units, and I did for the Olympics like you as well.... I think something else is going on... What are your signal levels on all sats for both tuners?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.