DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got HD DVR setup with 2 additional SD receivers. But I'm looking to cancel the HD service and returning the HD DVR to SD DVR. Which one will or should I ask for? And can I add an external HD (via esata connection) on it to expand the HD space?

·
Problem Solver
1,916 Posts
talktalktalk said:
Just got HD DVR setup with 2 additional SD receivers. But I'm looking to cancel the HD service and returning the HD DVR to SD DVR. Which one will or should I ask for? And can I add an external HD (via esata connection) on it to expand the HD space?
The only SD DVR class IRD that has an ESATA port is the R22, which is essentially an HR21 with (very slightly) different skin. You may be able to find an owned one on ebay, but probably not. The R22 is no longer being manufactured.

As far as what you might get, it would be either an R15 or an R16. There's no way to choose without purchasing a lease on a new one at an online retailer or a brick and mortar store that might carry them (nobody around here does). There's little difference between the R15 and the R16, other than cosmetics.

·
1*
10,289 Posts
The one thing to keep I'm mind is if you have a SWM setup or not. If you do (single line going to the DVR instead of 2), your SD-DVR will be a R16 as that is SWM compatible and the R15 is not.

- Merg

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
So you're a new customer? Why didn't get you the free HD for life with auto bill pay? Also you're going to have to pay for a new DVR to swap out so that is going to cost you the same as 10 months of HD service. If you wanted to get HD later on it would be another cost to get a HD DVR back $199 normal price. I would look elsewhere for cost savings.

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
phoneman06 said:
You may qualify for free HD access for 24 months if you use auto pay. I called today and they gave it to me.
phoneman06 said:
I was an existing customer. Like Shades said, if you are new you can get it for life.
He stating that some existing customers can get free hd for 24 months with auto bill pay as well. So if you called you could see if that is something you are eligible if you sign up for auto bill pay and get the savings for 24 months.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I log in online in the services tab under HD is an HD access "active" button and under that is a remove link. What would happen if I click on it and remove the HD access?

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
talktalktalk said:
When I log in online in the services tab under HD is an HD access "active" button and under that is a remove link. What would happen if I click on it and remove the HD access?
You'll lose all of your HD channels.

Did you call to request the free HD Access with automatic bill payment?

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
Leased starts a two year contract, and if you deactivate it, you have to send it back if it's on the recover list. You can't get a specific receiver from DirecTV.

If you are able to buy one, you can activate and deactivate at will. You just have to be careful it's really owned.

It does look like Solid Signal does still have R22s, so that is a leased option, with two year contract. If you're already under contract, this would basically reset it to two from activation, not tack it on the end of the current contract. They run concurrently.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ver-with-Free-HD-Upgrade-(R22)&sku=8546300037

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, dpeters11. If I purchase an R22 from solid I extend contract (which is ok) and won't have to pay HD access fee? Just $7 dvr fee? Also lease fee?
BUT, If I purchase or purchase an owned from someone.... do I still pay the lease fee?

·
Super Moderator
12,881 Posts
talktalktalk said:
BUT, If I purchase or purchase an owned from someone.... do I still pay the lease fee?
Yes. The first receiver on your account is included in the base package price. Each additional receiver, whether leased or owned, is charged a monthly fee. If it is leased, it is a leased receiver fee. If it is owned, it is an additional receiver fee. The cost is the same either way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.