DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
P Smith said:
Semantics ...

If you will tell SW Dept about glitch you'll never get it's attention; but tell them about a bug ... that's the key!
Glitch vs a bug mean inconsistency vs repeatedly.
But it is only repeatable on the receivers having the problem. It is not repeatable on receivers working fine.

Some people have this problem, not others... so while using these definitions it might be a bug to you, it is a glitch to the pool of receivers, most of which apparently don't have this issue.

Again, it's just semantics.

This is a real problem for some users, and should be looked at by Dish. I'm sure it is being investigated, but if it is just a small amount of customers, it might be a while before they can isolate it.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
phrelin said:
If there are others with content recorded from the old none-existent VOOM channels and they can't play it, it would be a way to focus with consistency because we have a definition for "old" and, as far as I can remember, there weren't DRM issues with VOOM.
I do remember there were some times way way back when a few channels, including some of the Voom ones, were having trick-play issues. Like you couldn't pause or rewind or ffwd. I definitely remember reporting those way back in the day.

So... you're right, no intentional DRM issues on those channels... but definitely there were some issues creeping in from time to time.

It would also be helpful to know... if people really know these recordings were playable recently on their non-Hoppers.

If you have 50 recordings on your EHD, how many have you actually checked recently? There have been other EHD archive bugs that resulted in recordings that were unplayable... It is entirely possible people have recordings that are unplayable now that would have been unplayable before they switched to Hopper.

The only way to be 100% sure... would be if someone played a movie on their ViP from the external drive... then got a Hopper upgrade... and tried that same recording that same day.

I had recordings I thought were good... but didn't watch for months... then found out they were corrupt. I lost some Star Wars movies that way actually, and basically it wasn't until the recent Blu-ray release that I finally got those movies back in HD!

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
Since this appears to have been missed... I'll ask again...

For those having this problem. When is the last time you actually played one of these events on your non-Hopper system?

I ask because... there have been lots of various EHD bugs with Dish in the past that either rendered recordings unplayable OR rendered them unplayable after moving to an archive drive.

To be 100% sure this is a new problem... you would need to have a recording that you know played just before you swapped out the receivers for a Hopper/Joey.

I'm seeing a lot of posts about multiple hours of archived programs... but not an indication that any of them definitely played within say the last month before you upgraded.

It is entirely possible you have recordings that wouldn't have played on your ViP receiver too, but just hadn't tried them in a while.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
That's helpful. I hope you guys are including that info when you talk to Dish about the problems.

Like I said, I had some recordings that I didn't play for a long time that were corrupt and I never knew it... they were movies I had watched, but not after archiving... so I didn't know they had been corrupt for more than a year.

Without a Hopper, I can't test this myself... so I can only guess. Corrupt recordings were one way that made sense for some customers having this problem but not all... and I figured that would be helpful info for Dish to know.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
zer0cool said:
My subs have not changed. The problems i'm having are for shows recorded off a channel I'm still subscribed to.
and on a lighter note, will my recordings of Mad Men and Breaking Bad stop being viewable when Dish dumps AMC next month?
I merged with this thread because it sounds like a symptom of the same problem... there appears to be something going on with DRM (based on the discussions here)... so while it is mostly showing up with people who recorded something and have since dropped the channel... it would appear that doesn't have to be the full criteria to break playback on some recordings.

At this point it still appears to be unintentional, though, as opposed to intended restrictions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.