DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Legend
148 Posts
I just replaced my 722s (3 of them) with the new Hopper/Joey setup. The first immediate problem I have is that when I try to access a previously recorded program (either directly from the EHD or after transferred from the EHD to the DVR) I'm getting a "not subscribed" error on many recordings. The common thread is that they originally were recorded on a channel that I no longer subscribe to. For example, if I have a recording from ESPN Classic, I'm no longer subscribed to ESPN Classic, and I get the error. HBO was free over the weekend and I recorded a show or 2 and it's doing the same thing on those. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a workaround/fix?

·
Legend
148 Posts
I'm just curious now. I continue to have this problem, even through the sw change to s2.07. Does no one else have it? For the most part it won't play any recorded program that I'm no longer subscribed to. I almost always I'll get a 013 error, but occasionally it's a 371 error. I've also seen an occasion where I can't play a recorded program for a program I'm currently subscribed to, but that's rare. Of course, this is all happening on saved recordings from an EHD, whether they are transferred to the live hard disk or not. Maybe many of you didn't have EHDs, so the problem may not be that widespread if those aren't in the picture. I have determined that if I subscribe to a channel, like HBO, and then try to play a program I was blocked from playing before, it does work (Dish gave me 1 month free of HBO for the problem I'm having). I'm just wondering if I'm all alone with this particular problem.

·
Legend
148 Posts
jdskycaster said:
Is this unique to certain premium content only? I transferred all of my recordings to EHD prior to the upgrade and have experimented a bit. So far everything can be played back including a couple of movies recorded when I had Starz free for a year and another from EPIX during the free preview. I do not have any content stored from HBO or Showtime.

I do get the intermittent reported error that it cannot play a recording back from time to time on the EHD content but I just go back and retry the same recording and it starts without error.

JD
I can't say it's unique to certain content so far, but what I know for a fact is that I can't play any pre-recorded programs from HBO, Cinemax, ESPN Classic, or Epix. Well, I can play back all of the HBO content now since I'm now subscribed to it, but I couldn't before. There's one channel, Encore (340) that I have a recording that I get the error with, but I actually get that channel in my current subscription. I can record a new program on 340 and it plays back fine, but the one recording won't. That's the only channel I've seen that I'm subscribed to that has a recording I can't play back. It gives me the 371 error, and I had recorded it on my 722 the weekend before I upgraded to the Hopper/Joeys.

·
Legend
148 Posts
fredpb said:
Talked to Dish support again today. They said this problem was not on their list of known issues?????????

When I mentioned I would like to go back to my 622, they said I could, but I would still be kept to my new contract I got with the Hopper.

Nice.
If it's true that they don't have that on their list of issues I'm mad, because I've personally had them submit a request to the engineers on 3 separate occasions. Each time they told me it was just submitted by them. Hopefully the tech you talked to wasn't aware of the entire issue list. I have no way of really checking what issues they have on the list. Does anyone know how you can really check? Is there a Dish moderator on this board that can check?

·
Legend
148 Posts
None of the techs have ever told me anything other than this is a bug. Well, the last one claimed it's always supposed to have worked that way but I had him check with another tech and he came back with "no, you're right". So they're admitting it's a bug, not a new rule.

·
Legend
148 Posts
Stewart Vernon said:
Since this appears to have been missed... I'll ask again...

For those having this problem. When is the last time you actually played one of these events on your non-Hopper system?
I played several of mine just before switching and they played normally. I also transferred a few to the EHD in the switch and several of those will no longer play. Prior to switching I never had any recording on an EHD that wouldn't play. Ever. And I had 3 722s, all connected with EHDs. On multiple hoppers I have the same issue now, so it's not an issue with a single hopper or a single EHD. Hope that helps.

·
Legend
148 Posts
Daniel said:
I don't think that they are going to fix it because it isn't a bug, it's a feature. IOW, it is working like they want it to. If you don't subscribe to a channel, you are not allowed to watch recordings from that channel.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. It's a bug, and Dish has admitted that it's a bug. I just hope it's fixed soon.

·
Legend
148 Posts
I worked with the techs again today and they still agree that's it's a bug. Let me also add that it's not 100% that I can't watch something I'm not subscribed to, nor is it 100% that I can watch everything I am subscribed to. I can watch at least 1 Cinemax recording even though I'm no longer subscribed to Cinemax, and there's an Encore movie I can't watch and I am subscribed to it. It's close to 100%, but not totally black and white on the subscription/non-subscription part. Also, I worked with them and did a test to see if I subscribed to something, then tried to watch a previous recording, and then removed the subscription from my account, if it would still block the channel. That is, the test was to see if watching a recording after being subscribed to a channel would then free up the block permanently, but it didn't. I had them try Showtime to see, but at least that part was consistent. With the subscription I could watch all Showtime recordings, and after it was removed I couldn’t again. BTW, I'm still on S2.07.

One thing that came up in the conversation was a check of what hardware I'm on with the Hopper. All of my hoppers are DNASP of 522 DshN06 (that's shown below the SW version). I'm wondering if all of this could be related to hoppers with the same DNASP. If so, that might explain why some of us have the problem and others don't. Does anyone have a different DNASP that’s having the problem?

·
Legend
148 Posts
P Smith said:
It's not a h2k per se. The numbers came from [embedded] smart card. And its software updating differently by nagrastar, not by dish.
OK, I'll admit I don't understand that. What's does h2k mean? And what's the significance of the software updating differently by nagrastar vs. dish mean?

·
Legend
148 Posts
fredpb said:
I have had this problem since I got my Hopper.

The only "workaround" is for newly recorded problems, like during a "free weekend". Just play the show momentarily before you lose subscription. It will play after that.
Hmm. I too have had the same problem since day 1, but that's not what I found. As a problem determination test I had a CSR add Showtime. Then I was able to watch a previously recorded program from Showtime. Then he removed my subscription and I could no longer play it. Now maybe I could if I recorded a new program and then watched the recording while under the subscription before it was removed, but it sure didn't allow me to keep watching my old one recordings. I sure they get this fixed sometime soon.

·
Legend
148 Posts
tcatdbs said:
Is this a problem with programs recorded to internal drive? I have 3 free months of all movie channels and don't want to go mad recording a bunch, if they're just going to be void after I drop them all.
Yes, it applies to internal as well as external drives. So the possibility that you won't be able to watch recordings after 3 months exists, but nothing here is definite. Hopefully they fix the problem by then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.