DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past month or so, I am unable to either change or mute the volume for the first 5-6 minutes after I turn on a TV using a C31 mini. Has anyone else ever experienced this phenomenon?

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,617 Posts
No problems here on my C61K, running thru my Onkyo tuner as soon as I turned it on to check. I see a 4K baseball game on channel 105, now leaving my computer to go make some popcorn. :)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
It is important to declare what scheme is in play with respect to volume control.
  • Volume is controlled through HDMI-CEC
  • Volume is controlled via IR commands sent directly to the audio device
  • If there is an AVR or a sound bar involved and the Genie Mini is plugged into the TV, HDMI-ARC (and maybe HDMI-CEC) is in play
Without knowing which scheme is being employed, it is difficult to pin down where the problem might be. All minis should be on the 0x1652 firmware at this point.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
I'm not convinced that CEC is out of the picture unless it is disabled in the receiver and TV configurations. By default, CEC can control the TV power, volume and cause the TV to change to the appropriate HDMI input.

If the RC66 is controlling the TV via IR (rather than CEC), it should certainly be able to change the volume at any time. I second the recommendation to try the TV remote volume controls.

Unless the TV configurations are essentially the same, the fact that studechip is having the same problem with a Mini hints towards something DIRECTV.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
I took my Yamaha avr out of the system, sound seems to be fine now.
It doesn't sound like the TS has an AVR but your approach to the problem is sound.

I'd try a factory reset on your AVR. The fact that it was "waking up" after several minutes may suggest a cracked HDMI board that is made whole when everything expands. There's always the possibility that an HDMI cable has lost its "spring" too.

·
Godfather
2,045 Posts
It doesn't sound like the TS has an AVR but your approach to the problem is sound.

I'd try a factory reset on your AVR. The fact that it was "waking up" after several minutes may suggest a cracked HDMI board that is made whole when everything expands. There's always the possibility that an HDMI cable has lost its "spring" too.
This particular model has had issues with the HDMI boards.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,461 Posts
This particular model has had issues with the HDMI boards.
Failures happen whether they are endemic or not. They can also be prompted by overheating (why Onkyo now puts a muffin fan on their HDMI boards).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts