DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s an interesting problem. I just purchased a SONY A/V receiver, model number STR-DA3200ES, to be used with a SONY XBR3 46” LCD. I have my HR20-700 outputting over HDMI and Component at the same time. The HDMI cable goes directly to the TV, the component out goes to the receiver and then to the TV. When I view through the HDMI connection all is well but when I view through the component connection the screen squishes (for lack of a better word) in the middle, the sides “seem” okay. This happens at all resolutions and with native either on or off. When I pull the HDMI cable off of the HR20-700 and view through the component all is again fine. Is this normal? I would love to just use the HDMI connection but as you might have guessed there are other’s in my house that refuse to learn yet another remote/electronic device so I am forced to use both outputs. To summarize the above, when using HDMI and component at the same time HDMI is working fine but component isn’t. When using component alone all is fine.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, or am I the only one who is seeing/using the HR20-700 in this fashion? I have the latest software installed on the HR20-700.

Any help/idea’s with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
crazyick said:
Here's an interesting problem. I just purchased a SONY A/V receiver, model number STR-DA3200ES, to be used with a SONY XBR3 46" LCD. I have my HR20-700 outputting over HDMI and Component at the same time. The HDMI cable goes directly to the TV, the component out goes to the receiver and then to the TV. When I view through the HDMI connection all is well but when I view through the component connection the screen squishes (for lack of a better word) in the middle, the sides "seem" okay. This happens at all resolutions and with native either on or off. When I pull the HDMI cable off of the HR20-700 and view through the component all is again fine. Is this normal? I would love to just use the HDMI connection but as you might have guessed there are other's in my house that refuse to learn yet another remote/electronic device so I am forced to use both outputs. To summarize the above, when using HDMI and component at the same time HDMI is working fine but component isn't. When using component alone all is fine.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, or am I the only one who is seeing/using the HR20-700 in this fashion? I have the latest software installed on the HR20-700.

Any help/idea's with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
I wonder if it is due to the Sony receiver.

I have both the HDMI and component of my HR20 connected to a Sony KDF-50E2000 so I can test any differences between HDMI and component as new software releases are made (there have been some audio synch issues with HDMI).

I can switch back and forth between them with no problems.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Petergaryr, I don’t think it is the receiver since when I remove the HDMI cable from the DVR and leave the component connection (DVR to receiver) intact there is no problem with the picture. Also, when I use the HDMI connection, all is well. The problem is only noticeable when both connections are outputting at the same time.

·
Godfather
574 Posts
crazyick said:
Thanks for the reply Petergaryr, I don't think it is the receiver since when I remove the HDMI cable from the DVR and leave the component connection (DVR to receiver) intact there is no problem with the picture. Also, when I use the HDMI connection, all is well. The problem is only noticeable when both connections are outputting at the same time.
I have both component and HDMI going to my Sony LCD and I don't see a difference on either one. I initially hooked both up because I had read that people were having problems related to the HDMI connection so I thought if I experienced an issue I would already have the component cables connected and ready to go. But so far, several months, I haven't had a problem so I've just left them both connected-too lazy to go in the back and remove the cables! I have had other problems but nothing related to the connections.

·
ke6cdn
424 Posts
petergaryr said:
I wonder if it is due to the Sony receiver.

I have both the HDMI and component of my HR20 connected to a Sony KDF-50E2000 so I can test any differences between HDMI and component as new software releases are made (there have been some audio synch issues with HDMI).

I can switch back and forth between them with no problems.
I've got a similar set-up with no problems as well.

·
ke6cdn
424 Posts
crazyick said:
Thanks for the reply Petergaryr, I don't think it is the receiver since when I remove the HDMI cable from the DVR and leave the component connection (DVR to receiver) intact there is no problem with the picture. Also, when I use the HDMI connection, all is well. The problem is only noticeable when both connections are outputting at the same time.
Have you tried taking both from the HR20 directly to the TV?

·
Legend
206 Posts
Spanky has a good point.

I have component to one TV and HDMI to another on simultaneously - no issues.
No receiver in the middle though- source is straight from the box.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! Yes they are on different inputs to the TV. As an example, input one on the TV has the HDMI cable feeding in (HR20 HDMI out). Input two on the TV also has an HDMI cable feeding in, this one is coming from the A/V receiver. The receiver is being fed by the HR20 (component cables/optical) it is also being fed by a cable box (also component) and a Blu Ray player (HDMI). There are many other inputs on the TV but since the hardest part of the install on the wall was fishing the wires through the wall while trying to hang the TV I would rather not remove the TV to install further wiring. When I watch Cable through the receiver (using component) all works fine. Also Blu Ray works fine through the receiver. The only time there is a problem is when the HR20 is outputting through both HDMI and component at the same time (in the end, reaching the TV though two inputs). And then only when viewing through component out. If I pull the HDMI cable out of the box (HR20) then the component output is fine (keeping in mind there is no problem with the HDMI output no matter what configuration I use).

I will try some further testing today. Now if only I could convince others in the house to learn “just one more remote” :) this would all be for naught!

Again, thanks all for the replies/help!!

·
Godfather
349 Posts
I was going to say why not test it by just running the component directly to the tv, but since it works okay with the HDMI disconnected that is weird. Definitely sounds like a potential compatibility issue with something.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I will try some further testing today. Now if only I could convince others in the house to learn "just one more remote" this would all be for naught!
There you go! Get a Harmony remote or something like it and hide all the others. That will force them to use the one that does it all. :hurah:

Seriously, it sounds like something is leaking somewhere. This is not a good sign for video. It could damage something! It needs to be found so it does not harm your equipment.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spanky_Partain said:
There you go! Get a Harmony remote or something like it and hide all the others. That will force them to use the one that does it all. :hurah:
LOL, I am giving the Harmony line of remotes some serious thought.

One thing i plan on doing today is switch the hr20 with a h20 i have in another room just to see if the problem goes away. If it does then i know it is a problem with the hr20 if not then maybe a problem with cables/TV/receiver or what not.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Can your Sony LCD assign different stretch modes on an input by input basis? For example, can input 1 be set up to stretch a 4x3 picture to 16x9 and input 2 be left alone? I believe most newer sets can (except my old Sony which I just sold), but maybe the HDMI inputs must share a common mode.

If it can't (i.e. they must share a stretch mode), then I would imagine the TV would use some sort of input priority that gives priority to the HDMI input from your HR20. When it's plugged in it uses the stretch mode you set up for it. When you pull it out, the TV senses that and gives the HDMI from your receiver the priority. That might explain why the HDMI from the receiver looks different.

It's a longshot, but I suppose anythings possible.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Absolutbob, I will have to look into your suggestion. But I did switch out the HR20 with an H20 I have in another room. With them hooked up the same, outputting HDMI and component at the same time I am not seeing the problem with the H20. It looks like it is an issue with the HR20. I will try different cables (component) based on an “assumption” that maybe the HR20 is more susceptible to interference than the H20. Maybe using different cables will help to minimize the effect.

It is looking like Spanky_partain’s suggestion of the one remote to rule them all might be my best option in resolving this issue. :)

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
That's why I have my mx-700... wife couldn't cope... now I have 1 button sets everything...and a bag of remotes in the closet...

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, as it turns out, the problem was with the component cables. When I switched them with the set I am using for the cable box the problem went away. Of course the only curve ball in this was that with the swapping of the cables you would think that the problem would transfer to the cable box but alas it did not. It seems that the HR20 is a little bit more sensitive to interference/crappy cables than the cable box. Anyway, I replaced the suspect cables with another set that I had laying around and all is now well!! :)

I am still going to look into the harmony or some other remote so as to simplify the use of all the gear for the technophobes who visit/reside in my home. :)

Again, thanks for all the help guys!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.