DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just started, Live Buffer operations has a significant delay in responding to the commands and even then it is not consistent. It does not always do what it was told.

I have tried the RBR with no change. I have had this DVR for at least more than a year. I haven't tried a total reset/reformat as I have too many recorded programs I haven't watched yet.

It has no problem with recorded programs.

This is the R15 - 300 with the latest firmware 0X121E.

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
I haven't experienced this issue and I do a LOT of live buffer viewing. And I have TWO R15-300's! ;)

Be happy. On the HD and R22 receivers, when you begin watching live TV, change the live channel or return to live TV from playing a recording, you can't rewind back into the live buffer unless you wait about 15 seconds. Very irritating. BONK BONK BONK!! :D

· 1*
9,917 Posts
ThomasM said:
I haven't experienced this issue and I do a LOT of live buffer viewing. And I have TWO R15-300's! ;)

Be happy. On the HD and R22 receivers, when you begin watching live TV, change the live channel or return to live TV from playing a recording, you can't rewind back into the live buffer unless you wait about 15 seconds. Very irritating. BONK BONK BONK!! :D
Actually, all TrickPlay functions are inaccessible for the first 15 seconds in those situations, including Pause.

- Merg

· Godfather
305 Posts
The Merg said:
Actually, all TrickPlay functions are inaccessible for the first 15 seconds in those situations, including Pause.

- Merg
Yes, W T F is up with that. I am so over not being able to use trick play ESPECIALLY PAUSE for 15 seconds when coming out of standby or when coming back from playing a recored show.

While I am at it...

Why can't the buffer stay paused when you go to LIST from playing back a recording, if you paused it before watching the recording?

A year in to it and this HR21-700 is still very lacking.

WEAK.

· Godfather
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What, the first 15 seconds into the program after the buffer initializes? Not applicable here, this is WELL INTO the program, by at least 5 minutes.

The Merg said:

- Merg

· 1*
9,917 Posts
looter said:
Yes, W T F is up with that. I am so over not being able to use trick play ESPECIALLY PAUSE for 15 seconds when coming out of standby or when coming back from playing a recored show.

While I am at it...

Why can't the buffer stay paused when you go to LIST from playing back a recording, if you paused it before watching the recording?

A year in to it and this HR21-700 is still very lacking.

WEAK.
Not sure what you are referring to here. If I am watching a recording playback, pause it, and hit List, the recording stays paused. If you are referring to switching back and forth between a recording and LiveTV and pause it before switching, when you switch back, I believe the recording automatically resumes from the pause point. Saves you from having to press Play.

sheridan1952 said:
What, the first 15 seconds into the program after the buffer initializes? Not applicable here, this is WELL INTO the program, by at least 5 minutes.
I was just adding on to ThomasM's comment about RWing in the Live Buffer after a channel change. I myself have not had the issue you are having occur on my R15-300.

- Merg

· Godfather
305 Posts
The Merg said:
Not sure what you are referring to here. If I am watching a recording playback, pause it, and hit List, the recording stays paused. If you are referring to switching back and forth between a recording and LiveTV and pause it before switching, when you switch back, I believe the recording automatically resumes from the pause point. Saves you from having to press Play.
No, if you have a LIVE or buffered program in PIG, pause it, watch recorded show, hit LIST, PIG is no longer paused.

Then I try to PAUSE the PIG but that doesn't work for 15+ seconds. Say there is a Recording in PIG, say the end of a show, you can't pause it for 15+ seconds. Instead you get BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK...

= Spoiler

· 1*
9,917 Posts
looter said:
No, if you have a LIVE or buffered program in PIG, pause it, watch recorded show, hit LIST, PIG is no longer paused.

Then I try to PAUSE the PIG but that doesn't work for 15+ seconds. Say there is a Recording in PIG, say the end of a show, you can't pause it for 15+ seconds. Instead you get BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK...

= Spoiler
Okay... Trying to follow you here... I'm guessing that your issue is what happens after you "watch recorded show". Are you having the Keep/Delete prompt pop up and then selecting a choice? Am I right in assuming that once the recording is over and you delete the watched recording, the show that is in the PIG is LiveTV and not the Live Buffer at the point where you had paused it prior to watching the recorded show.

- Merg

· Godfather
305 Posts
The Merg said:
Okay... Trying to follow you here... I'm guessing that your issue is what happens after you "watch recorded show". Are you having the Keep/Delete prompt pop up and then selecting a choice? Am I right in assuming that once the recording is over and you delete the watched recording, the show that is in the PIG is LiveTV and not the Live Buffer at the point where you had paused it prior to watching the recorded show.

- Merg
Yeah, I think your following me.

I believe it is at the point were I paused it (not positive), but it is no longer paused, it is playing. AND trick play/pause won't work for like 15+ seconds.

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
The Merg said:

- Merg
I know but I do too much complaining about the R22 so I restrain myself and only post one complaint per message. :D

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
looter said:
Yeah, I think your following me.

I believe it is at the point were I paused it (not positive), but it is no longer paused, it is playing. AND trick play/pause won't work for like 15+ seconds.
The R22/HR21 series have a "sliding live buffer". The beginning (oldest part) does not stop if you are watching it and pause (like it does on the R15). If you are near the beginning of the buffer (watching the portion of a show that aired nearly 90 minutes ago) and you hit pause, it will unpause all by itself when your "pause point" gets close to the 90 minutes ago point. If you are close to this point and hit pause, sometimes it will just ignore you and NOT pause!!

On the R15, you can s-t-r-e-t-c-h the live buffer by pausing it. Not on the R22/HR21 series. I have no idea why this disparity exists, but I much prefer the behavior of the R15 live buffer.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
ThomasM said:
The R22/HR21 series have a "sliding live buffer". The beginning (oldest part) does not stop if you are watching it and pause (like it does on the R15). If you are near the beginning of the buffer (watching the portion of a show that aired nearly 90 minutes ago) and you hit pause, it will unpause all by itself when your "pause point" gets close to the 90 minutes ago point. If you are close to this point and hit pause, sometimes it will just ignore you and NOT pause!!

On the R15, you can s-t-r-e-t-c-h the live buffer by pausing it. Not on the R22/HR21 series. I have no idea why this disparity exists, but I much prefer the behavior of the R15 live buffer.
Although what you state is true, that might not be the issue here. I did confirm the issue to which Looter refers, kinda.

If you pause a show and then watch a recording, when you return to the show the pause will have unstuck. However, you will be watching the show from where you paused it, it is just that it does not wait for you to hit play before it continues. Now if the show you are watching when you pause it gets close to that 90 minute buffer limit, what you described above will happen.

- Merg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.