DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a Samsung DirectTV/HD tv receiver on eBay that I only intended to use for OTA HD reception. If you look at the manual I'm pretty sure this is intended to be a supported configuration, there's a menu option where you can select "No Dish" and everything. ;)

My problem (and one that I've seen other people have had when I search on google) is that when I go to the menu to try to manually set my dish type, it doesn't let me actually get into that particular menu without an access card inserted.

It seems as if other people have gotten around this problem by borrowing friend's access cards for the 5 minutes or so necessary to turn off the dish and then never needed the access card again. I just don't know anyone who's ever used Direct TV!

I can't figure out why the card is necessary to access this menu either, does anyone know how I could get around this?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,070 Posts
I don't know why your post was removed from the HD forum. It's more likely that it would be seen by someone who owns the TS360 in the non-dvr hd forum. I just looked at my manual; it doesn't say it can be used as a stand alone HD receiver. I asked the guy who did the installation if it could and he replied "yes", but this may be just another bit of misinformation. When the box freezes, I can't access my OTA channels, because the whole system is frozen (no response to remote). My best guess is that it would need some kind of a modification to make it work. I don't think it's a Stand alone receiver..... anyone else ??

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure you're looking at the manual for the same device as this? I mistyped it before, it's actually SIRS-TS360 if that makes a difference. My manual has a whole small section devoted to using it if not subscribed to Direct TV.

I'm not allowed to post a link to my manual yet (too few posts) but if you google "SIR-TS360 manual" it's one of the first links. Page 41 says: "If you plan to use your DIRECTV® HD Receiver for
local off-air or cable TV programs, but do not plan to receive DIRECTV® programming, select No Dish." The only problem is that it requires an Acess card to access that particular menu item! How silly.

Thanks for any help!

·
Legend
234 Posts
I'm using the SIRS-TS360 as an OTA only receiver and you do need an access card to get into that menu.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,070 Posts
Okay I found the place in the manual that does indeed say there is an option of no dish. Now the whole thing doesn't make any sense. Call Samsung.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
litzdog911 said:
I don't think any DirecTV Receivers can be used without an access card. You should be able to get one from DirecTV for $20 or so.
The TS360 can be used as an OTA receiver but does need an access card and it will lock up at leas once a month and need rebooting. The Hughes HTL HD will work as an OTA tuner without an access card inserted.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.