DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have so many problems Direct TV's HIDEF and especially with Channel 87 (KABC-LA) and Direct TV refuses to acknowledge it's the station (or broadcast). There's audio dropouts, clicking, and picture disruptions that are VERY annoying. I get these vertical bands then the picture drops out, goes black, then comes back. Happens waaaay too often. Let's see. They've sent me a tech about 4 times and I still have the same problems. And, on both HIDEF recorders (TIVO and HR20 HiDef recorders).

They changed out my LNB, then they changed out my whole dish (to the 5 LNB), then on the last call they changed my MultiSwitch. The technician said now I won't have any more problems (because the MS was a 4x8 and he now installed a 6x8?). OK. As he sat on my couch writing up his Work Order, I had Channel 87 on and ... you guessed it. Vertical bands and picture disruptions. I wish I could post a picture and maybe someone here could help with where else to look. Direct TV says it's not them, KABC in Los Angeles says it not them, the technician says nothing else can be done. I pay good money for total Direct TV service and HiDef and I'm mad.

I still get all the same picture distortions, lines, dropouts, etc on BOTH receivers so I doubt it's the receivers or hard drives.

And, since I started HD even some of the other channels are now affected by glitches, freezes, etc. I'm so disgusted and I don't know what else to do.

P.S. And I won't even go into the numerous and aggravting problems I've been experiencing with the HR20 receiver. I hate it and it creates more problems on top of my other problems. AARG!!!

·
Banned
614 Posts
Janice805 said:
I have so many problems Direct TV's HIDEF and especially with Channel 87 (KABC-LA) and Direct TV refuses to acknowledge it's the station (or broadcast). There's audio dropouts, clicking, and picture disruptions that are VERY annoying. I get these vertical bands then the picture drops out, goes black, then comes back. Happens waaaay too often. Let's see. They've sent me a tech about 4 times and I still have the same problems. And, on both HIDEF recorders (TIVO and HR20 HiDef recorders).

They changed out my LNB, then they changed out my whole dish (to the 5 LNB), then on the last call they changed my MultiSwitch. The technician said now I won't have any more problems (because the MS was a 4x8 and he now installed a 6x8?). OK. As he sat on my couch writing up his Work Order, I had Channel 87 on and ... you guessed it. Vertical bands and picture disruptions. I wish I could post a picture and maybe someone here could help with where else to look. Direct TV says it's not them, KABC in Los Angeles says it not them, the technician says nothing else can be done. I pay good money for total Direct TV service and HiDef and I'm mad.

I still get all the same picture distortions, lines, dropouts, etc on BOTH receivers so I doubt it's the receivers or hard drives.

And, since I started HD even some of the other channels are now affected by glitches, freezes, etc. I'm so disgusted and I don't know what else to do.

P.S. And I won't even go into the numerous and aggravting problems I've been experiencing with the HR20 receiver. I hate it and it creates more problems on top of my other problems. AARG!!!
You kinda contradict yourself. Think about what your saying before you say it. You can't blame DirecTV if your local station is the problem. DirecTV cannot hold them by the hand and just snap their fingers. Call your local station and complain if your so upset.:rolleyes:

·
Legend
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, but if it's the STATION, all I want Direct TV to tell me is that there is a problem with that station. Simple. I've posted here before about the lines, etc. on Channel 87 and (except for clicking), have not received responses stating anyone else is having this problem (although I suspect there are people out there that ARE experienciing the same thing).

The ABC I refer to is my National ABC Feed (from Los Angeles). (My locals are worthless and are not on the list to receive HD in the near future).

There are many more problems than just this station, but this station (if it IS the station) is the most annoying of all the problems. I'm trying to attach a picture of what this problem looks like but I'm not sure if it will come through. I've never posted a pic here before.

Attachments

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Question: do you have both receivers connected to the same TV? Are you using component or HDMI connections?

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Janice805 said:
Thanks for your response, but if it's the STATION, all I want Direct TV to tell me is that there is a problem with that station.
Honestly, DirecTV most likely isn't going to know if it's a problem with the station. They provide hundreds (if not over 1000 by now) locals across the country. They can't keep track of every dinky station and their problems.

If you want to know for sure if it's the station then you can stop by AVS to the local HD forum and check to see if those that get it OTA have the same problem. If this is the ABC station out of L.A. then you'd go to the L.A. OTA HD thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

If there aren't any problems with the station OTA then the problem is either:
1) Their link to the DirecTV uplink facility
2) DirecTV's uplink
3) DirecTV's encoders

BUT if it was a DirecTV wide problem (or OTA) then everyone getting that station would have the same problem. If it's only you then that points to some sort of equipment problem on your end. If DirecTV has already verified that your dish and all cabling and switches and stuff are ok it could very well be the receiver you have (as strange as that may sound). What else could it be? They should replace it for you at no cost if you want to try that.

Good luck!

·
Legend
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The HR20 is connected to my living room 50" Plasma and the TIVO HIDEF DVR is connected to my bedroom 42" LCD TV. Different connections, different rooms. I've tried each on HDMI and Component Video and it makes no difference. So frustrating. I wished I could find an answer.

·
Mentor
36 Posts
I'm not as experienced as most people on this forum, but I can say that I don't get any of the problems you described on my channel 87 KABC-LA feed. I would imagine if i was a problem with the station, then everyone would have the same glitches. I know it doesn't help much but I just thought I would toss that out there.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
The problem with these drop out issues, is you need to develop a group who is recording the same program so they all can check the same recording. Additionally you need to have a baseline measurement of the recording done via OTA so you can compare the base line against a good sample set.

I have seen dropouts like what you have posted, I believe (for the most part) that they are errors D* is introducing in the transcoding or transmission process, this is based on my observations of watching making OTA recording for years, but I have no hard evidence. Without organizing some people and without OTA recording capabilities this is a difficult issue to isolate.

·
9,809 Posts
btmoore said:
The problem with these drop out issues, is you need to develop a group who is recording the same program so they all can check the same recording. Additionally you need to have a baseline measurement of the recording done via OTA so you can compare the base line against a good sample set.

I have seen dropouts like what you have posted, I believe (for the most part) that they are errors D* is introducing in the transcoding or transmission process, this is based on my observations of watching making OTA recording for years, but I have no hard evidence. Without organizing some people and without OTA recording capabilities this is a difficult issue to isolate.
Very true. I personally have seen this type of issue before but it's always been in three cases:

1) Via sat - bad rain fade
2) OTA - "plane" fade. I live near an airport and their landing pattern is right over my house. Plane flies over the OTA HD signal will garble up and possibly freeze like your screen shot for a second or two. Luckily it's not a busy airport!
3) OTA station problem in general

·
Legend
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
smb3d states he/she has no problem with Channel 87 (KABC-LA). Can it matter WHERE you are located? For example, if smb3d is located in Los Angeles and I am receiving in Santa Maria, CA, is it possible for one of us to have problems and the other have no problems? Or, if it was the Station or D* should we BOTH be having the same problems? I just don't understand enough about this.

·
9,809 Posts
Janice805 said:
smb3d states he/she has no problem with Channel 87 (KABC-LA). Can it matter WHERE you are located? For example, if smb3d is located in Los Angeles and I am receiving in Santa Maria, CA, is it possible for one of us to have problems and the other have no problems? Or, if it was the Station or D* should we BOTH be having the same problems? I just don't understand enough about this.
If it were a problem with the station or with D* then *everyone* that gets that same feed on channel 87 would see it no matter where they are located in the country as it's a nationwide channel, not a spotbeam.

So it's sounding more and more like it's a problem on your end somewhere.

What's your signal strength on 87? Go to a couple receivers and check it. Do this by tuning to channel 87 and then go into the setup and check the sat signal stregth. It will default to the transponder of the channel you currently have on (87). Watch it for a couple minutes, more importantly, do this when you are seeing this problem. I assume it's all the time?

That will tell you if it's a signal problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.