DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only record a few shows on CBS (CSI, Numb3rs), but they all have the same problem. At least a dozen times during playback, there will be a strange digital beep followed by a 5 to 15 second loss of audio playback. This happens whether CC is on or off, and is absolutely repeatable over and over. I have no such problem on the other 20-plus shows that I record.

Anyone else seeing this? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

· Mentor
41 Posts
I see pixelation/break-up problems when I record CBS HD via the OTA (Raleigh area).
Considerably more problems with CBS than I with NBC or ABC.

I do not have the digital beep probblem you mentioned.

I'm not sure if recording OTA versus DirecTV "locals" is an issue since I don't have the MPEG-4 dish at this time (installer comes next week).

· Cool Member
19 Posts
barryr said:
I only record a few shows on CBS (CSI, Numb3rs), but they all have the same problem. At least a dozen times during playback, there will be a strange digital beep followed by a 5 to 15 second loss of audio playback. This happens whether CC is on or off, and is absolutely repeatable over and over. I have no such problem on the other 20-plus shows that I record.

Anyone else seeing this? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
I too have the same issue. I have been checking through the posts and have not found an answer. It looks like it is only KFMB MPEG4. I have been trying to narrow down a solution, but I use OTA for now. I have heard suggestions that it is D* or that it is KFMB, but I don't think anyone has nailed it down yet. hdtv.forsandiego.com has a KFMB room where a few others have the same issue.

· Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm now having the problem live on KFMB! I'm watching the Jets/Patriots game and about every two minutes, the audio goes out following a digital beep.

· Cool Member
19 Posts
barryr said:
I'm now having the problem live on KFMB! I'm watching the Jets/Patriots game and about every two minutes, the audio goes out following a digital beep.
I am assuming it is the HD feed and not the SD. Can you try the SD to see if you have the same issue? Do you have OTA and if so can you try that?

1 Posts
barryr said:
I, too, have been having problems with KFMB, the HD Channel 8 in San Diego, for the past week or so, on the HR20 in the living room.

That friggin' digital beep occurs, the audio silences for at least 30 seconds, then returns. And it happens over and over, to the point of driving me nearly insane.

"CSI" was awful Thursday night. There also are occasional pixelizations.

I checked the SD signal on the TiVo HD DVR in the master bedroom, and the digital beep did not occur on it.

I checked the SD signal on the HR20 in the living room, and there was no problem.

Am I correct to assume that this is a problem with KFMB, the local broadcaster?

Also, San Diego's NBC affiliate has serious problems with its HD broadcast. It was off-air Friday night.

· Legend
113 Posts
Have you noticed it coincides with a cut to commercial? There are locally generated commercial insertions during a network program.

There might be a discontinuity between local generated HD encoder and the feed from the station's incoming network feed.

· Godfather
414 Posts
I have recorded a handful of CBS HD shows via OTA and have not had the issue you described. I have had breif 1-2 second audio dropouts every once in a while. usually when the recording was done on windy days (antenna movement).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.