DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Icon
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used to read about all the complaints on here and wonder what everyone was doing wrong.... now i know its not the fault of anyone, its a big failure on D*'s part.

i've had my HR20 for a couple months now and when i bought it up until last saturday it had never missed a SL recording (i have around 30 or so). i moved and got my 5 LNB dish installed on saturday and i have had to do more red button resets in the last 4 days than the previous 2 months. MPEG4 locals are a complete DISASTER. channel changes are INSANELY slow (~3-4seconds), recording SLs is hit and miss (i'm at about 50% failure rate so far) and overall the unit just seems more quirky now than it did with my old triple LNB dish. i can't believe OTA isn't higher on their priority list, i mean if MPEG4 recording/usage is this crappy, at least let us pull them in with an antenna.

i know i'm not alone on this, but i just wanted to give a before and after coming from someone who left a non HD LIL market and moved into HD LIL with a perfectly functioning HR20.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
What kind of single strength are you seeing on the AT9 dish?

As you changed one critical aspect of your setup from where you where, to what you have now.

· Icon
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on what sat? transponder? i mean it varies, there are some transponders that i get a 100 on, most are 90+ though. i doubt its a signal issue though, when the recordings fail... i'm left with a gray screen as the recording. no ability to skip, slip, ff or trick play. when i reset, the recording is deleted. history shows the item is "recorded".

do you know what sat/transponder the ny mpeg4 locals are on?

i'm not sure what your second comment means... if it is a question, could you help me out a bit on what you're asking?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Sat's 99 and 103

The second line of my reply, was more of a statement on why I was asking about your signal strength. During your move, you introduced a major change to your setup.

· Icon
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Sat's 99 and 103

The second line of my reply, was more of a statement on why I was asking about your signal strength. During your move, you introduced a major change to your setup.
more specifically, do you know which transponder(s)? i have one transponder on the 103 that reads in the high 60s. other than that, everything looks good aside from my 110/12 signal which is low.... but that is only ESPN-HD and UHD. i wasn't recording on either of these channels.

LIL - local in local

· Icon
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btw.... i have a slimline (AU9) dish, if that makes a difference..... not sure what the comparisons have been as far as performance is concerned between the AT9 and AU9.

· Icon
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guys... just had another directv installer out here who was absolutely clueless about getting this resolved.

how is it that i'm getting 80+ on transponders 8 and 10..... but yet 40-50 on transponder 12. if these were spot beams i would understand, but these host national channels? could it be a bad multiswitch?

· Icon
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok... disconnected the multiswitch and ran two lines right to the back of the HR20, still low signals on the 110/12.

its amazing to me that the installers in nyc are this clueless. all he knew how to do was peak the signal on one of the main sats with his meter... he said the fine adjustment knobs were factory set and they didn't need to be touched. i asked him how they could be factory preset if the installation varied say between new york and........ nebraska. i mean whats the point of putting the dials on the dish if they aren't used. he didn't have a clue.

i called halstead and was extremely upset that i called because of allignment issues, i gave them the exact sat and transponder that was having problems and they send me a tech that had no clue how to resolve the issue.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Byron,

Sigh. I've seen bad installers. I'd say stay away, but we're always limited to who the contractor sends out.

He is right, there are a few bolts that are set at the factory--but, as you know, not the fine tuning ones for azimuth and elevation. So, do you feel lucky (and want to work in the cold yourself?) The instructions are at Solid Signal.

Good luck,
Tom

· Icon
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm starting to think the LNB assembly is bad.... i mean how could i have 90+ signal strength on the 8 & 10 transponders on the 110 sat and yet have a 40-50 signal on the 12 transponder? the issue has been escalated to halsted corporate management as well as the management in the ny office. directv is being extremely responsive on this, i just hope they get someone out there that knows what they are doing. i told them to tell the installer to bring a spare ATU dish for parts in case the LNB assembly is in fact bad.

· Icon
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tech came yesterday and replaced the LNB assembly.... everything looked fine when he showed up so he was hesitant to just swap the LNB, but he did. later last night it started flaking out again. the HR20 showed like 45 signal strength on the 110/12 and the HR10 showed a big fat ZERO. both showed 80+ on 110/8 & 110/10. i've tried removing the BBC and also unplugging the multiswitch and plugging the lines directly into the back of the IRDs and still get the same results. i'm really at my wits end with this, i don't understand how a mounted dish can go from a signal strength of 80 to 40 or zero with nothing changing.

would a bad RG6 crimp cause sporadic results or would it just fail from the start?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
byron said:
would a bad RG6 crimp cause sporadic results or would it just fail from the start?
Bad connectors can cause all sorts of problems..
It can be bad at the start, end, middle... only under certain combinations of things...

· Icon
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Bad connectors can cause all sorts of problems..
It can be bad at the start, end, middle... only under certain combinations of things...
i'm just not sure where to go next to get this resolved.... i've had 3 technicians out here and no one seems to actually care about fixing the problem. the only person who does are the management folks that keep apologizing and issuing credits on my account. any suggestions on things to start exploring?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.