DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple of weeks ago i had D* out to install a third hr20/21 dvr. since i needed more than 8 outlets the tech cascaded 2 wb 6x8 instead of installing a 6x16 multi switch. i had no problems until about 3 days ago. all of the new hd channels coming off of 103c break up like during a heavy thunderstorm. all channels off of all the other birds come in fine. this happens on all 3 dvrs. does this sound like a multi switch problem or a lnb. i haven't checked all of the dvr but i know at least 1 got the 251 update. any ideas? thanks

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Switch.

If it was the LNB, you would have the same issue on all the boxes.

He shouldn't have cascaded them. Only approved way is putting them in parallel.

You'll want to check all the cables to make sure they are clean and tight. Pay extra attention to those going from the new switch to the old one.

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
The problem is probably from the WB68's being in a cascading setup. You want to set them up in a parallel setup with 4 dual power passing 5MHz to 2150MHz (or higher). From each splitter you need to run a line to the same input on both multi-switches.

· Registered
2,143 Posts
I believe that the 103c transponders are much more susceptible to rain fade during heavy showers. I know that when we get heavy storms here in So FLorida, I quickly lose the locals and some of the HD channels (only for a short time). I can still get many of the non-HD channels during the storm.

So, I suspect that you may just be experiencing rain fade and that while it's an annoyance, it's significantly less time than I had my Comcast Cable go out.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Michael D'Angelo;1682917 said:
The problem is probably from the WB68's being in a cascading setup. You want to set them up in a parallel setup with 4 dual power passing 5MHz to 2150MHz (or higher). From each splitter you need to run a line to the same input on both multi-switches.
Yes indeed...they can "drain" some of the signal strength is a casacading setup, depending on the length of your cable runs to each location.

Follow Michael's suggestion - he's a guru on that stuff.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bad. They were hooked up in parallel. I've lines off of the slimline dish to splitters, splitters to the 2 6x8. I've unhooked that setup and just trying with one multiswitch. right now everything is working. i'm going to try it for a couple of days i'll hit D* up for a powered 6x16. Thanks for the input.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
bgmac said:
My bad. They were hooked up in parallel. I've lines off of the slimline dish to splitters, splitters to the 2 6x8. I've unhooked that setup and just trying with one multiswitch. right now everything is working. i'm going to try it for a couple of days i'll hit D* up for a powered 6x16. Thanks for the input.
We're rooting for ya that things continue to work out better...that's why your fellow DBSTalkers are here - to help.

There are alot of folks here, including the Mods, who provide regular great information to help maximize their viewing experience.

I'm HDTVFan0001, and I approved this commercial. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.