DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My install was Tuesday. Since then, the unit's response to either the dtv remote or my Harmony One has been hit or miss, mostly miss. All other components are responding normally to both remotes.

Best results are when I am 5 feet of the sensor, and even then it can fail to respond. I have done the RBR, because that's all I know to do. I have never had this problem with any other HDDVR with either remote.

Except for that, Mrs Lincoln, I like the unit a lot.:)

Is this a known glitch, or is it unique to my box?

Any ideas?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,952 Posts
MRinDenver said:
My install was Tuesday. Since then, the unit's response to either the dtv remote or my Harmony One has been hit or miss, mostly miss. All other components are responding normally to both remotes.

Best results are when I am 5 feet of the sensor, and even then it can fail to respond. I have done the RBR, because that's all I know to do. I have never had this problem with any other HDDVR with either remote.

Except for that, Mrs Lincoln, I like the unit a lot.:)

Is this a known glitch, or is it unique to my box?

Any ideas?
Have you tried RF mode instead of IR? IR can be interfered with pretty easily. Change to RF (just for a test) and see if the problem goes away. If not, then it is most likely the current firmware in the box. Sluggish response to remotes is a known problem with many of the boxes. They can improve it with firmware changes (I've seen them do it). You may just have to wait it out.

If, on the other hand, RF solves it, then you need to protect the receiving IR sensor on the box by shielding it from the offending output of your TV screen. There are a few tricks others can advise you about if this is the case.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
I have similar issues with the HR34. Just got DirecTV on Wednesday. The unit is sluggish and fails to respond sometimes to both remotes (I also have a Harmony One). Other boxes are fine. I'm gonna wait it out for future updates. It's not happening frequently enough to bother me too much yet. My H25's fly in comparison, though.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RADEN said:
I have similar issues with the HR34. Just got DirecTV on Wednesday. The unit is sluggish and fails to respond sometimes to both remotes (I also have a Harmony One). Other boxes are fine. I'm gonna wait it out for future updates. It's not happening frequently enough to bother me too much yet. My H25's fly in comparison, though.
At my request, they sent me an RF remote; otherwise it is too frustrating to put up with. Hope to have it soon. I noticed that the unit responds better at night than in daylight. :confused:
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,914 Posts
MRinDenver said:
At my request, they sent me an RF remote; otherwise it is too frustrating to put up with. Hope to have it soon. I noticed that the unit responds better at night than in daylight. :confused:
The only problem with switching to RF is that you can't run both RF and IR simultaneously. So if you try to use a third party remote like a Harmony One, it won't work once you change to RF.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"RACJ2" said:
The only problem with switching to RF is that you can't run both RF and IR simultaneously. So if you try to use a third party remote like a Harmony One, it won't work once you change to RF.
I can handle that, for a while. But sooner rather than later I am going to get frustrated with an expensive, sota receiver that can't be remotely controlled as efficiently as a 10 year old box.

I don't mind being a beta test subject, but at this price, it seems to me that remote control is not a cutting edge feature but a minimum requirement.

Have we been sold a lemon? Even the csr in the "hr34" section admitted this was a known problem. Why was it not addressed before the product release?

Never had this type of problem with dtv boxes in 13 years. Disappointing.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top