DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is everyones opinion on a professional ka ku digital sat finder/meter?

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
They are cool, slick, and great--if you're doing lots of installs or just have lots of $$ to spend on toys (If so, please send me some!) :)

Beyond that, I can't afford one--but I've been very successful with the meters built in the receivers.

Cheers,
Tom

· Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ones built into the receiver dont work for me because of all the pro installs i do. I was looking for brand names

5 Posts
Cat's meow is now the Super Buddy ($679) from Applied Instruments.

We have used the Sat 9520s ($1195) from the same company for years - best meter out there until the Super Buddy.

I am still under 5 posts so you will have visit:

appliedin.com

/signallevelmeters

/siglev.html

· Mentor
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i own a birdog and i do not like that it can not see 99 or 103. Rumour has it that it is suppose to have software coming soon that will allow it too see those sats. True or false?

· Legend
139 Posts
wmschultz said:
The bird dog is a POS. It doesn't see the 103 and 99 and can not lock on to the 110.

I vote for the Super Buddy also.
Talk about a solution searching for a problem...

Most consumer level meters out there can't see the Ka-band at all. Sure, the Acutrac III can see Ka signals, but it's currently useless to do so since we're getting nothing but spot beams and the sensitivity of the signals are not conducive to dead-on alignment each and every time.

Also, the Birddog not being able to see DirecTV 3g 110? Big deal. I'll mourn the lack of that the next time I align a Phase I Oval dish...

I can understand someone having valid arguments as to why the Birddog isn't the be all, end all of sat finders- for instance, not being able to measure current draw or lock explicit LH and RH polarizations are both valid ones I suppose. Using your reasoning, however, I could argue that Humvees are a POS because I can't use them as a motorboat.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
bpayne said:
Sure, the Acutrac III can see Ka signals
I just got the Accutrac 22 Pro for Christmas and looks like it'll be a good unit. The video on that satellite guys web page shows you a bit on how to use it. It's rechargeable, works on the satellite power as well and has a few nifty features. I haven't tried it out yet but for $100, I think it'll get me lined up where I want it.:)

· AllStar
77 Posts
Ahh yes, the acutrac can let you get perfect alignment on the wrong bird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.