DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have long been wondering about program guide corruption, but I had never made it more than 48 hours without a reset, so I just assumed the program guide hand never re-populated fully. However, I have just made it through my first full 7 days without a reset :) and I have noticed a problem with the program guide in the 700's (yep, I mean NHL Center Ice again).

With a search (Islanders - Sports - Hockey and just Islanders) most of the games in the 600's show up, but NONE of the ones in the 700's show up in the search. So I try manually setting the games by going to the program guide, jumping foward in 12 hour increments (great feature!), and pressing (R) when I find a game I am looking for. In this way, I set all the games for the week ahead.

Here's the problem. Even after one-touch record setting the games to record, and even after no resets for a whole week, about 1/2 of the set game recordings end up in the history list as "canceled." I have taken to babysitting the ToDo list, and checking the History list regularly, where when I find a game canceled, I have the option to just select Record from the History List.

So, anyone out there (Earl), why is it canceling recordings without my input where there is clearly nothing wrong with the recording set? I mean, if I can just select Record from the History List, why can't it just keep the recording in the ToDo list, or if something went wrong, why doesn't it automatically re-insert the recording back into the ToDo list when whatever it is that went wrong is fixed?

Any ideas? I am glad it will finally record NHL Center Ice, but I am annoyed at having to babysit the ToDo list.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
There is a definent issue with the extended packages that are on special channels.

They know about it, it is nothing to do with the "guide data"

But a lot of what goes on with those special channels, is that at various times, they are completely dropped from the system.... The HR20 detects that, and cancels the schedueld recordings.... because at that point in time... the channel doesn't exist any more.

They know about the issue, as it has been seen on the Sunday Ticket.
And they are working on it.

·
Legend
229 Posts
Blame Gary Bettman!

Ok, so I don't have anything serious to offer. But since Bettman is usually what's wrong with all things in hockey-land, I figured it'd apply here, as well. :lol:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
There is a definent issue with the extended packages that are on special channels.

They know about it, it is nothing to do with the "guide data"

But a lot of what goes on with those special channels, is that at various times, they are completely dropped from the system.... The HR20 detects that, and cancels the schedueld recordings.... because at that point in time... the channel doesn't exist any more.

They know about the issue, as it has been seen on the Sunday Ticket.
And they are working on it.
Thanks Earl,

What about when the channel comes back? For example, when the DVR is reset, the program guide is still populating. At that time, it cancels all the recordings that do not match program guide data, but as the guide re-populates, it automatically re-adds the programs to the ToDo list. Why doesn't that happen with these programs as well?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HockeyKat said:
Blame Gary Bettman!

Ok, so I don't have anything serious to offer. But since Bettman is usually what's wrong with all things in hockey-land, I figured it'd apply here, as well. :lol:
LOL! :lol:

Not a fan of expansion?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
islesfan said:
Thanks Earl,

What about when the channel comes back? For example, when the DVR is reset, the program guide is still populating. At that time, it cancels all the recordings that do not match program guide data, but as the guide re-populates, it automatically re-adds the programs to the ToDo list. Why doesn't that happen with these programs as well?
I don't know for certain;

But I would expect that it is two different things.

On a reboot; It is just not finding a matching in the guide listing... but in the "list of channels", it sees that the channel is still there... so it doesn't completly delete the scheduled recording.

But if the channel is "dropped" from existance, the HR20 could then basicaly be saying... Oh.. this channel is no more, and then delete the requested recording.

But this is just a speculation on my part, I don't know for certain.

·
Legend
229 Posts
islesfan said:
LOL! :lol:

Not a fan of expansion?
Even though I got into the sport after the last round of expansion, I do think the league is too big. But besides that, Gary Bettman just sucks in general. Like I said - pretty much all that's wrong with things in hockey-land. Shootouts to decide games? HA!

But before Earl yells at me, I'll stop threadjacking your thread here so you can get some real useful information. :)

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
islesfan said:
Thanks Earl,

I would also guess that it's related to the way the HR20 does that kind of stuff when it's in standby, if it can... or in the background if it must. I'll bet that a guide update doesn't trigger an update to run on the ToDo list. A channel appearing wouldn't either.

Don't the special sports channels only show up either a few minutes before or right at game time?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meklos said:
I would also guess that it's related to the way the HR20 does that kind of stuff when it's in standby, if it can... or in the background if it must. I'll bet that a guide update doesn't trigger an update to run on the ToDo list. A channel appearing wouldn't either.

Don't the special sports channels only show up either a few minutes before or right at game time?
They're there a week or so in advance. That's the weird thing. The channel must momentarily drop, then re-appear, but its too late then. It is strange that they do not appear in the searches. I think this might be a clue.

·
Legend
229 Posts
Ok, so I lied before. I may actually have something to contribute after all. Any chance that the channel NUMBER changes for the games you're looking to record? So maybe it will have it listed to 745 for a friday game, but by thursday it's changed to 744 or something?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HockeyKat said:
Ok, so I lied before. I may actually have something to contribute after all. Any chance that the channel NUMBER changes for the games you're looking to record? So maybe it will have it listed to 745 for a friday game, but by thursday it's changed to 744 or something?
No Kerry Frasier here! That sounds like a good call! I'll have to make a note of that and check it out.

P.S. I hate the shoutout too!:rolleyes:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HockeyKat said:
I checked the ToDo list last night, and I had all 4 of the upcoming Isles games still scheduled, but this morning I made a quick check so I wouldn't miss tonight's game, and sure enough, it had been canceled (all 4 had been canceled, actually). I re-scheduled tonight's game, but I did check, and the channel was the same as before. I will have to re-schedule the others later today.

The only thing that seems to be consistent is that the cancellations always seem to happen overnight, and at least so far, when it cancels one, it cancels all.

In the absence of more data, I'll have to agree to blame Gary Bettman!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.