DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fromer Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't there an option where they keep my programming for like $5 a month? How many months will they let you do this? Is there a way around getting a statement mailed to a location? I'd like to pay $5 a month to keep my networks and etc. Or is there no way around it and would have to qualify? What about a phone line? What happens if I hook it up again at a new location and not use phone lines?

Is there a way to get DBS without running wires through the walls which I won't be allowed to do? I just can't think of a way to do it. I can't think of a tidy way to do it. Running wires around the house is not a option.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Dish will cut off your programming, but will keep your account active for $5 a month indefinitely. The only reason you'd want to do this is to avoid paying a reacitivation fee - people take advantage of this when they go away for the summer, and the like.

About the statement mailed to a location...if you signed up for CC autopay, I suppose you could ask them not to send a paper statement.

To keep your networks, you'll have to keep at least some programming activated. So, if you discarded everything except your locals, you'd pay your standard $5.99 a month plus $5 a month fee because you you're not subscribed to a package. Pretty sure that's the way Dish works it.

Needing to qualify, and phone line questions - I'm assuming that you are asking if you can move (and it sounds like you're potentially moving a significant distance away from where you are now?) and hook up your receiver at your new location and still get the local networks you had. If so, then the answer is maybe...depends on whether your network locals are conus of spotbeam. If they are spotbeam, then definitely not if you move outside the area of the spotbeam. If your locals are conus, then probably you could still get them, although at this point you are moving into a legal gray area. Also, your account would still be active at your previous address (which from the sound of your goodbye message isn't something that you want to do). You won't need to hook up a phone line at all, unless you plan on purchasing lots of PPV's.

DBS without wires through walls...sure - you can get flat coax cable that will run under a sliding door or window. You could then run that directly into your receiver, and then use a wireless video transmitter to send the video and audio to your television location. You'd need a uhf capable receiver to switch channels easily, though. Check the video transmission thread in the technical forum - Chris just picked up a unit that is working very well for him.

·
Fromer Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dish will cut off your programming, but will keep your account active for $5 a month indefinitely. The only reason you'd want to do this is to avoid paying a reacitivation fee - people take advantage of this when they go away for the summer, and the like.

So I would lose the Dishnets then when I reactivated it?

Needing to qualify, and phone line questions - I'm assuming that you are asking if you can move (and it sounds like you're potentially moving a significant distance away from where you are now?)

It doesn't matter how far I move because I have the Dishnets not a local package other than on basic cable.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Rage, I honestly don't know if you would lose your dishnets or not. My gut feeling is that you wouldn't, but I don't have any information to back that up. If you are currently in an area where you qualify for dishnets, then you most likely wouldn't lose them when you reactivated, as long as dish doesn't find out that you moved. If you are currently in a area that once qualified you for dishnets, but now doesn't, and you have enjoyed grandfathered status, then you would probably lose them upon reactivation. But, this is all hypothetical conjecture on my part, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Fromer Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I have no idea. I liked the Dishnets because it's a cheap sports package and I don't like to waste 8-11PM watching TV so the west feeds were cool.

Have any of you want on long vactation before and went through this? I don't think I'd qualify today for at least one network and it's a NFL network.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.