DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't use program padding much as it can cause conflicts with shows that would otherwise be back to back. But I have taken to using it for football games whose endings I really don't want to miss. And in the past, I've used the "record the following shows" method. But with the advent of EF, I thought I'd give it a try. The two times I used it, both this weekend, I've had problems I've never experienced before.

1) As posted elsewhere, I used the guide to request a recording of the OSU/UofM game yesterday (Chicago local ABC HD, IIRC), and then went in to the to do list to give it a 1 hour pad at the end. While watching the recording and in the pad part of the time requested, though caught up and watching in as close to real time as you can get in that situation, the box hung - picture froze, no sound, and trick play commands wouldn't work. A Channel-Down and a Channel-Up got me back to normal, though of course the recording had stopped and did not include the last few minutes of the game. First time this has ever happened to me. To play it safe, did a red-reset.

2) Today, I had use the same process as described above to record the Bears game with a one hour pad on Chicago local Fox HD. Watched the recording of the 1st half, then went to help a buddy jump his car (exiting to live TV on another channel and turning everything off). What with one thing and another, got back a few minutes after 3:00, just into the pad period. Started the recording, and was disappointed to have it start at the beginning and not where I left off. So, used the "Skip to Tick" function 3 times to advance 90 minutes, which put me in halftime. I was using the other trick play functions to locate the start of the second half when all of a sudden the box restarted itself. First time this has ever happened to me.

So, two padded recordings, with me watching the recording while it was recording in the pad period, and two box failures that I've never had before. I don't know about anyone else, but no more padding for me until there's another update - I'm simply going to request my show of interest, and the next hour of scheduled shows, from the guide and live with the minor hassles that involves.

·
Icon
828 Posts
Today I had my first uneventful recording experience for NASCAR in the past three weeks.
Previously, I had a problem with my 3 hour pads in that the recording stopped when about 11 minutes into the pad, thus missing the end of the race.
This weekend, on one hr20, I did the three hour pad and on the other, I simply recorded the three shows following the race's ending time.
I started watching the race about an hour after its start, using the 3 hour padded recording and successfully watched the whole race to the end without incident--hooray!
I checked the other dvr and found that it also recorded all scheduled programming without incident.
My only bad experience this past week was getting four "partial" recordings (which, of course, only showed up in the history listing). These all occurred on Thursday night. Three were MPEG 4 HD programs from local broadcasts and one was an MPEG 2 SD program from Speed Channel.
As I've said in other posts, the improvements in trick play and other areas are nice but D* still has to make the hr20 a 100% reliable product for its basic function-recording and playing back the programs we want to see.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.