DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A movie that I have not seen in awhile finally shows up doing a search on the HwS. The movie is the classic 12 Angry Men (1957) with Henry Fonda. I type 12 into the search field and the movie appears in the results area. So far rather straightforward. However, when I select the movie the only button available is the SUBSCRIBE button. When the button is selected I get a Programming Not Authorized error dialog box. In the box I see:
  • Confirm that you subscribe to this channel...
  • Unplug your receiver for 10 seconds...
  • If these steps have not resolved your issue, please contact us...
All of which would be a waste of time. I cringe at the thought of attempting to explain this issue multiple times to DISH's level one support staff. Evidently this On-Demand movie is associated with a channel that is not part of the America's Everything Pack. What would have been extremely useful is knowing which channel. Or, at the very least have a memorized option to not include pointless non-subscribed channels in the search results.

I wonder, is this particular issue unique Hopper stupidity or does this stupidity encompass all DISH receivers?

· Godfather
392 Posts
12 Angry Men shows up on HDNET Movies, that channel is part of the HD Extra Pack on Directv, which is an additional $4.99 per month package, it can be added to any package, it is not included in my premier package. I belive Dish has a similar package.

· Godfather
375 Posts
Dish has this movie on channel 130, HDNMV, and it's in my AT-250 list of approved channels...I just pressed the select button on the entry from the search function and it's scheduled to record...no restrictions here...VIP-622 with AT-250, HD channel pak and regional sports pak...

It's available in both SD and HD and on more than one date.

29 Posts
I am unsure which channel 12 Angry Men was on but if it was on HDNet movies then you will need to subscribe to our Blockbuster @ home package which is $10 a month. If you do have this package and you were receiving this error I would be happy to troubleshoot with you.

· Godfather
375 Posts
[email protected] Network said:
I am unsure which channel 12 Angry Men was on but if it was on HDNet movies then you will need to subscribe to our Blockbuster @ home package which is $10 a month. If you do have this package and you were receiving this error I would be happy to troubleshoot with you.
See my post just above yours...I don't have the Blockbuster package and it's available to me on channel 130...HDNMV.

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses.

For whatever reason, here the search only has the movie listed once and only in HD.

I do not wish to subscribe to the channel. I do, however, wish DISH would make the error dialog box and the search more intelligent. How is anyone suppose to know which programming authorization is needed if the channel number is NOT displayed?

· Godfather
375 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm on the Eastern Arc and the HD for channel 130 is on 72, and the SD channel is on 61.5...

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
If you had hit the Info button instead of the Select button, it would have showed you the channel information. That wouldn't tell you if it is in your subscription tier, but it would have at least told you the channel number that you missed seeing.

Those error popups only show when you try to tune to an unauthorized channel... like if you went to the EPG and tried to select from there OR typed a number directly on the remote. The error message, for good or ill, assumes you know what channel you just tried to tune to.

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Negative, the channel number is NOT shown in the INFO screen.
4bama said:
For what it's worth, I'm on the Eastern Arc and the HD for channel 130 is on 72, and the SD channel is on 61.5...
I'm on the Western arc and do not receive those sats. I think the reason you receive the channel is due to the "HD channel pak", which I do not have. Despite the (now) poorly worded name, I only have America's Everything Pak.

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stewart Vernon said:
If you had hit the Info button instead of the Select button, it would have showed you the channel information. That wouldn't tell you if it is in your subscription tier, but it would have at least told you the channel number that you missed seeing.
Negative. The INFO screen is where I was first taken when I searched and selected the movie. The channel number is NOT listed in the INFO screen. There is no channel number listed for any On-Demand events, whether you subscribe to the channel or not.

Stewart Vernon said:
Those error popups only show when you try to tune to an unauthorized channel... like if you went to the EPG and tried to select from there OR typed a number directly on the remote. The error message, for good or ill, assumes you know what channel you just tried to tune to.
From the EPG, that makes perfect sense. From a search, the Hopper assumes you know where every On-Demand event is located.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Blowgun said:
Negative. The INFO screen is where I was first taken when I searched and selected the movie. The channel number is NOT listed in the INFO screen. There is no channel number listed for any On-Demand events, whether you subscribe to the channel or not.

From the EPG, that makes perfect sense. From a search, the Hopper assumes you know where every On-Demand event is located.
No... the Search results screen is where you are after you search for something. Instead of hitting select, hit Info when you have highlighted one of the search results. That should show you more about individual search results, including channel numbers.

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pressing the INFO button over the highlighted 12 Angry Men search result tile takes me to the same screen that pressing the Select button does over the highlighted 12 Angry Men search result tile. Neither method will display a channel number.

Where content exists for both On Demand and on a regular channel at the same time, such as doing a search for High Plains Drifter, the INFO screen only shows the channel number for the regular channel. Placing the highlight bar over the On Demand version of the movie only shows "N/A" for the channel.

On a quick side note, the rating for the same movie, High Plains Drifter, is different depending on where it is watched (ie: On Demand has the movie with 2½ stars and REELZ channel has the same movie with 3 stars).

Anyway, I guess your receiver does things differently and by differently, I mean better.

· Godfather
375 Posts
Blowgun, when you switch your menu guide to "All Channels" can you see channel 130 in the guide display?

It should be there and displayed in Red if you can't get this channel with your current programming package.

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, HDNMV is shown in the EPG and the channel number, as expected, is red. Ironically, I would only see the standard definition version of HDNMV if I was subscribed to the [email protected] package.

Because one of your packages contains HDNMV; when you do a search for 12 Angry Men do you see the channel number listed in the INFO screen?

And, what about searches that result in channels you do not receive or any On Demand results, do you still see the channel number in the INFO screen on your 622?

· Godfather
375 Posts
Yes to both questions...and by pressing Info twice I can see what satellite they're on..

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
The bigger flaw, in my opinion, is that search results include channels you don't subscribe to... on the one hand, I guess if you keep seeing search results that you can't watch you might be enticed to up your programming to get them... but it creates the bigger problem where this poster is having of getting a bunch of errors when you try and see your search results.

I'm surprised Info doesn't work... I would have thought for a non-subscribed channel it would still show you the channel number that way. I don't have any way to easily test that scenario since I'm pretty much getting all the channels.

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
4bama said:
Yes to both questions...
Interesting. That strongly suggests that it is a Hopper firmware limitation. Certainly there is no technical reason for the channel number not to appear on subscribed, none-subscribed and On Demand search results. I wonder if the DISH Representative is still monitoring the conversation and has an opinion based on these revelations?

4bama said:
...and by pressing Info twice I can see what satellite they're on.
The only thing pressing the INFO button twice here does in the search results is take you into the INFO screen and take you back out of the INFO screen. The only time I see the satellite number is when I am watching something LIVE and press the INFO button. The INFO screen for any EPG entry, recording or search result is void of the satellite number.

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stewart Vernon said:
The bigger flaw, in my opinion, is that search results include channels you don't subscribe to... on the one hand, I guess if you keep seeing search results that you can't watch you might be enticed to up your programming to get them... but it creates the bigger problem where this poster is having of getting a bunch of errors when you try and see your search results.
Or, DISH could provide the option to watch the event on a one-time basis without subscribing to the channel, not just toss a vague error message. Or, simply include the channel number in the INFO screen to help the user determine why they are getting the error.

Stewart Vernon said:
I'm surprised Info doesn't work... I would have thought for a non-subscribed channel it would still show you the channel number that way. I don't have any way to easily test that scenario since I'm pretty much getting all the channels.
Yeah, I would think the least they could do is inform you what channel you might be interested in subscribing to, but instead DISH makes that impossible to determine without memorizing the entire EPG.

· Super Moderator
54,208 Posts
Television Product Gadget Font Flat panel display

The channel is "n/a" for the On Demand but it is obvious what channel is providing the content in the search.

Are you seeing all three results?

Attachments

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope, just one. And, when there is only one event that screen doesn't appear.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.