DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to get a couple more replacement remotes, having the protection plan. I got about 6 replacement RC66RX remotes shipped for free back in mid-February, but I need more since I have so many receivers. For some reason, the costs are now showing $15-$30 for each remote- depending on the model. These prices were zero dollars back in February, as they should still be now.

It now looks like the prices have changed for the different tiers of the PP, but I'm guessing it is an error? If it's not an error, it's a serious drop in cost every month!

This is what it shows on my account- Yikes!

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
I was looking to get a couple more replacement remotes, having the protection plan. I got about 6 replacement RC66RX remotes shipped for free back in mid-February, but I need more since I have so many receivers. For some reason, the costs are now showing $15-$25 for each remote- depending on the model. These prices were zero dollars back in February, as they should still be now.

It now looks like the prices have changed for the different tiers of the PP, but I'm guessing it is an error? If it's not an error, it's a serious drop in cost every month!

View attachment 32138
They're only $5/each on Amazon ;) and you can usually sweet talk a CSR into a DVR replacement unless you're going through them like candy.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're only $5/each on Amazon ;) and you can usually sweet talk a CSR into a DVR replacement unless you're going through them like candy.
I know I can always get them free by calling into Loyalty. My main point was the cost is only $8.99/mth for all PP tiers according to the website. I was actually looking to drop my basic $8.99/mth protection plan, then I saw those sale prices. Not that I would bite, but it is worth pondering.

·
Icon
3,280 Posts
Wait u can get ADH for $8.99

It use to cost like $25

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
1,135 Posts
they have always replaced my backlit remotes at no charge. though calling in is a PIA to have them credit your acct so you can order another one!!! i wonder if there having software issues or idiot issues!!!

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
I was looking to get a couple more replacement remotes, having the protection plan. I got about 6 replacement RC66RX remotes shipped for free back in mid-February, but I need more since I have so many receivers. For some reason, the costs are now showing $15-$30 for each remote- depending on the model. These prices were zero dollars back in February, as they should still be now.

View attachment 32138
It shows my prices are even better! 😆 Free for Premier and Premier with accidental damages.

Product Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot

On the remote prices I got one back about that same time and a couple of days later I tried to get another one but it gave me a message that I had reached my limit on the free remotes. No idea what that limit is now.

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
It shows my prices are even better! 😆 Free for Premier and Premier with accidental damages.

View attachment 32139

On the remote prices I got one back about that same time and a couple of days later I tried to get another one but it gave me a message that I had reached my limit on the free remotes. No idea what that limit is now.
If you are paying $8.99/mo / $107/yr, how are the remotes free ;)? You can buy 20+ remotes on Amazon per year before you break even on PP. Unless you are constantly breaking DVRs...

In my 20+ yrs, I've had a total of ONE receiver go bad.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Why do people have life insurance if they aren't expecting to die soon? Why do people have car insurance if they aren't expecting to have a wreck? Why do people have homeowners or renters insurance if they aren't expecting their house to burn down?

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
Why do people have life insurance if they aren't expecting to die soon? Why do people have car insurance if they aren't expecting to have a wreck? Why do people have homeowners or renters insurance if they aren't expecting their house to burn down?
Uh, because the cost of all the items you mentioned far outweigh the insurance costs. It makes sense to pay $1000/yr for home insurance when it would cost you $300k to rebuild the house and more when you account for content. Do you plan on living in your house for 300 - 500 years? A co-worker backed into me in the parking lot about 5 yrs ago cuz he was talking on his phone with earbuds while driving. Small dent that he wanted to pay for out of pocket as to not raise his rates. Quote ended up being $5000.At an average insurance cost, you'd only start losing after 8 yrs and that's a minor fender bender. Imagine if you cause property damage or personal damage.

On the other hand, its highly doubtful you're claiming 20+ remotes a year. If you have a receiver go bad, you can generally get them comp'ed if you ask nicely. Unless you're constantly breaking them.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
If it isn't worth it to you then by all means don't get it. To me it is worth it to not have to beg to get a dvr replaced or get a remote when needed and the equipment upgrade every 2 years in case I need/want it. Yes I know they aren't making any new equipment but I have not upgraded to an HS17 yet so maybe some day I will want to. For $8.99 per month it is worth it to ME. I do not care if it is worth it to you or not.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
To me it is worth it to not have to beg to get a dvr replaced or get a remote when needed and the equipment upgrade every 2 years in case I need/want it.
[/QUOTE
Given what your upgrade options are (more clients), I'd be surprised if you could figure out a way that it pencils out.

·
Icon
3,280 Posts
i just checked on my online account and looks like remotes are covered

Water Rectangle Font Art Eyelash

·
Icon
3,280 Posts
i wonder if there is a claim limit since you said you replaced 6 already this year
some protection plans have a limit.

like i think cell phone protection plans have a limit 3 (replacement phones)per 12 months

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
If bi-annual non-PP upgrade is $99, how does $215.76 (two years of PP) look like your coming out ahead?
That's assuming he actually has a receiver die. More accurate explanation is that he's paying $215.76 for a $5 remote and remotes last longer then 2 yrs, so really, he's paying like $500 for a $5 remote.

Also, if your account is in good standing, you can certainly get comped some receivers. I got my HR24 -> HR54 comped.

Only thing PP will help you with is if your dish goes out and you don't want to climb on the roof. I wouldn't climb on my roof, that's for sure and in that case, you'd come out ahead by paying for a month or two of PP vs. carrying it full time.

Anybody on the PP for "free remotes" is a sucker, that's for sure.

Can't claim the convenience factor either, since I'll go on record and say its more convenient to pay $5 for a new remote on Amazon and get it in a day or 2 then filing a PP claim.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts