DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
These Protection Plan threads are all the same. Whenever someone says they subscribe to The Protection Plan people ridicule them for wasting their money. Those people need to be reminded that "One man's candy can be another man's poison" which means that The Protection Plan can be good for some and not good for others. For those who subscribe to The Protection Plan I say as long as it satisfies your need and does what you expected then it was worth the investment. I subscribe to The Protection Plan Premier + Accidental Damage from Handling. I do this because of the convenience it provides. I make a very handsome income and spend most of my money on women and booze. The rest I just squander so please don't anyone tell me I'm wasting my money. :)

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
These Protection Plan threads are all the same. Whenever someone says they subscribe to The Protection Plan people ridicule them for wasting their money. Those people need to be reminded that "One man's candy can be another man's poison" which means that The Protection Plan can be good for some and not good for others. For those who subscribe to The Protection Plan I say as long as it satisfies your need and does what you expected then it was worth the investment. I subscribe to The Protection Plan Premier + Accidental Damage from Handling. I do this because of the convenience it provides. I make a very handsome income and spend most of my money on women and booze. The rest I just squander so please don't anyone tell me I'm wasting my money. :)
Well said, but for me I spend most of my money on my wife, high school teenager kids crap, and booze. 🍻

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
So my C61K quit working today. Won't connect to the HR54. Has to be replaced. Support could not fix remotely. Without PP $99 plus the cost of the service call. Scheduled service call for Saturday and with PP there is no charge. They might have to replace the HR54 also which would be another $299. Depends on what the service guy says.
you need a service call to swap a receiver? lol

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
does protection plan cover kidneys & livers?

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
No I need a service call because the HR54 is not able to add the C61K as a client. When I turned it on this morning I had nothing on the C61K. Hence me going to DirecTV support and I spent 1 hour and 47 minutes with the support person and his manager and they say they cannot see the C61K. When I try to add the client it says I have used all of the client locations (0). And they are not able to add any clients at the moment. They said the service person will need to either replace the C61K or both the HR54 and the C61K. From posts I have read here at these forums they may not even be able to replace the HR54 and if that is the case I may done with DirecTV. In that case I won't need the PP anymore and you might be able to sleep at night.

·
Icon
3,280 Posts
I thought they always sent a tech. As I wrote above I had an STB that kept rebooting and they sent someone same day

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
I thought they always sent a tech. As I wrote above I had an STB that kept rebooting and they sent someone same day

I had a HR24 die and they drop shipped one. Also when I got my free HR54 upgrade (no PP) they drop shipped that one too. As a matter of fact, if you have a tech do an upgrade, it's a 2 yr contract, where a selfie is only 1 yr.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,997 Posts
So my C61K quit working today. Won't connect to the HR54. Has to be replaced. Support could not fix remotely. Without PP $99 plus the cost of the service call. Scheduled service call for Saturday and with PP there is no charge. They might have to replace the HR54 also which would be another $299. Depends on what the service guy says.
A failed device would not cost 99 plus a service call. At most they would charge for shipping the the device The same goes for the HR54. The PP only ever covered the cost of shipping. The replacement device was always free

·
Hall Of Fame
4,997 Posts

In all my years of having service and device failures I have never had a tech rolled to replace a defective device nor been charged anything for it and never had the protection plan

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
A failed device would not cost 99 plus a service call. At most they would charge for shipping the the device The same goes for the HR54. The PP only ever covered the cost of shipping. The replacement device was always free
Well they told me those would be the prices but because I had the protection plan there would be no charge.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
In all my years of having service and device failures I have never had a tech rolled to replace a defective device nor been charged anything for it and never had the protection plan
I've only had one receiver ever sent to me without a truck roll. That was a C61K that turned into a nightmare trying to get the old one sent back to them. Any other receivers I've ever had replaced was a truck roll.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I had a HR24 die and they drop shipped one. Also when I got my free HR54 upgrade (no PP) they drop shipped that one too. As a matter of fact, if you have a tech do an upgrade, it's a 2 yr contract, where a selfie is only 1 yr.
I get that, but replacement 24’s were typically treated differently than Genie’s and C61K’s for 4K. You got lucky with your upgrade when got your first Genie. That typically always required a truck roll, like when the coveted HR34 first came out. I can say that from experience. Your experience was not everyone else’s, even with others like me kissing the you know what of the Loyalty CSR’s.

With my free HR24 via PP upgrade in June, 2020, ATT’s system wouldn’t let the Loyalty CSR waive the truck roll. I already had everything all set up for the new receiver in the new location, and I got a lot of parting hardware gifts from the tech when he left, since he didn’t have to do anything other than activate the HR24.

When I got my HR54 in like 2016, it was from an ex DirecTV employee and still shows as owned on my account. That replaced my HR44, but didn’t need a truck roll since I already had it and it was owned.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
So after scheduling the appointment for Saturday I got an email showing the "order details. It shows the $99 charge for the 4K mini and then it is removed for the PP agreement. But I have an extra charge of $2.33 for a TV Access Fee so for that one TV they are charging me $9.33 for that TV instead of the normal $7.00 TV Access Fee. Does anyone know what that extra charge might be for?

Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Logo

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
So after scheduling the appointment for Saturday I got an email showing the "order details. It shows the $99 charge for the 4K mini and then it is removed for the PP agreement. But I have an extra charge of $2.33 for a TV Access Fee so for that one TV they are charging me $9.33 for that TV instead of the normal $7.00 TV Access Fee. Does anyone know what that extra charge might be for?

View attachment 32149
Maybe its just verbiage, but the $99 says its removed as a loyalty consideration, not PP :).

As for your $2.33 charge, you got charged for the time you used the broken client for the month. Nothings free in this world :D.

·
Icon
3,873 Posts
I get that, but replacement 24’s were typically treated differently than Genie’s and C61K’s for 4K. You got lucky with your upgrade when got your first Genie. That typically always required a truck roll, like when the coveted HR34 first came out. I can say that from experience. Your experience was not everyone else’s, even with others like me kissing the you know what of the Loyalty CSR’s.

With my free HR24 via PP upgrade in June, 2020, ATT’s system wouldn’t let the Loyalty CSR waive the truck roll. I already had everything all set up for the new receiver in the new location, and I got a lot of parting hardware gifts from the tech when he left, since he didn’t have to do anything other than activate the HR24.

When I got my HR54 in like 2016, it was from an ex DirecTV employee and still shows as owned on my account. That replaced my HR44, but didn’t need a truck roll since I already had it and it was owned.
I have the old school dish with 4 cables coming off into the attic and into the multi-switch in the attic. When I first tried to upgrade to the HR54 many years ago, they told me my dish was non-compliant (it actually was, except for 4K which I'm not worried about since DirecTV doesn't have any I'm interested in) and I'd need a truck roll to do a dish swap. I tried in vain to convince them that my dish was compliant and I didn't care about the 4k for now since they didn't have any. No sale. So I told them to forget it.

Several years later, my HR24 had slowed to a crawl, so I tried again to get the upgrade to the HR54 and this time they let me do the selfie.

I try to avoid truck rolls any time I can.

1. they cost money
2. you have to sit around waiting for the guy all day
3. as with most workers, they end up destroying stuff that you need to repair
4. had some techs not like my set up and try to get me to change it (no thanks, I'm good!)

re: #3&4, I have OTA+AM21 and one tech I had didn't like that I had OTA and was multiplexing it over the RG6 with a b-band hack, so he disconnected all of that, by ummm.... CUTTING THE OTA CABLE!!! uh... you couldn't just unscrew it bro?

I ended up upgrading the multiswitch to a single wire one and getting rid of the b-bands and now I have one line from the attic feeding the HR54 and the other dedicated line for OTA.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Maybe its just verbiage, but the $99 says its removed as a loyalty consideration, not PP :).

As for your $2.33 charge, you got charged for the time you used the broken client for the month. Nothings free in this world :D.
Well on the phone they told me there was no charge due to me having the protection plan.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I have the old school dish with 4 cables coming off into the attic and into the multi-switch in the attic. When I first tried to upgrade to the HR54 many years ago, they told me my dish was non-compliant (it actually was, except for 4K which I'm not worried about since DirecTV doesn't have any I'm interested in) and I'd need a truck roll to do a dish swap. I tried in vain to convince them that my dish was compliant and I didn't care about the 4k for now since they didn't have any. No sale. So I told them to forget it.
I have the same 4 wire dish and get 4K through it. Well I do when the C61K is working.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts