DBSTalk Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Without PP $99 plus the cost of the service call.
You don't have to pay a new lease-entry fee on the replacement since the broken one is already leased. You're probably (but not necessarily) saving the cost of a truck roll.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Whenever someone says they subscribe to The Protection Plan people ridicule them for wasting their money.
Someone always does that but it considering the value of what you're paying for should never be dismissed.

Owned equipment isn't a thing anymore so replacements aren't largely just the cost of a truck roll, if that.

Complex wiring networks aren't typically a thing anymore either. SWiM has greatly reduced the number of possible failure points.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Someone always does that but it considering the value of what you're paying for should never be dismissed.

Owned equipment isn't a thing anymore so replacements aren't largely just the cost of a truck roll, if that.

Complex wiring networks aren't typically a thing anymore either. SWiM has greatly reduced the number of possible failure points.
Look...on the order document for the truck roll appointment on Saturday they have a charge on it for $99. At the bottom it is credited back. I was told on the phone that is because I have the protection plan, Maybe they were lying to me. I don't care.

But this morning DirecTV "advanced support" called and wanted to see if they could get the C61K problem fixed. It took them about an hour but they did get it added back in and working so the truck roll has been canceled and I don't have to swap any equipment out.

I prefer to have the protection plan because there are a lot of failure points in a DBS setup from the dish, lnb, cables, moisture, wall plugs, receivers, and remotes and I have no desire to try to fix something when it quits working. I keep it for my peace of mind. If anyone else doesn't want it by all means don't get it. I'm not trying to talk anyone into getting it and I prefer if I don't get criticized for having it. So please stop the BS.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
……..Complex wiring networks aren't typically a thing anymore either. SWiM has greatly reduced the number of possible failure points.
Lol- they are definitely still a thing for many customers like me. Count the number of tuners I have, and tell me what SWM LNB you’d recommend I have, as you being the expert here.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I have the old school dish with 4 cables coming off into the attic and into the multi-switch in the attic. When I first tried to upgrade to the HR54 many years ago, they told me my dish was non-compliant (it actually was, except for 4K which I'm not worried about since DirecTV doesn't have any I'm interested in) and I'd need a truck roll to do a dish swap. I tried in vain to convince them that my dish was compliant and I didn't care about the 4k for now since they didn't have any. No sale. So I told them to forget it.

Several years later, my HR24 had slowed to a crawl, so I tried again to get the upgrade to the HR54 and this time they let me do the selfie.

I try to avoid truck rolls any time I can.

1. they cost money
2. you have to sit around waiting for the guy all day
3. as with most workers, they end up destroying stuff that you need to repair
4. had some techs not like my set up and try to get me to change it (no thanks, I'm good!)

re: #3&4, I have OTA+AM21 and one tech I had didn't like that I had OTA and was multiplexing it over the RG6 with a b-band hack, so he disconnected all of that, by ummm.... CUTTING THE OTA CABLE!!! uh... you couldn't just unscrew it bro?

I ended up upgrading the multiswitch to a single wire one and getting rid of the b-bands and now I have one line from the attic feeding the HR54 and the other dedicated line for OTA.
I still have the 5LNB with 4 cables into my WB68 splitter, then to parallel SWM16’s and SWM’d out from there. 4K worked from the getgo long ago and still today after all these years. I did all the cabling myself, but that’s kind of my ‘career’ thing that I have a license for in my State.

Like I said earlier- I had competent DirectSat techs where I live, and they wow’d how clean my setup was every time they were there (when only necessary truck rolls occurred). None of them second guessed me, or recommended any changes, or messed up my crap.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Lol- they are definitely still a thing for many customers like me. Count the number of tuners I have, and tell me what SWM LNB you’d recommend I have, as you being the expert here.
Putting a 19 TV setup as anywhere near typical is silly. The fact that you go through a remote per month further solidifies the idea that you have an extraordinary setup. With such a setup, you can probably derive value from the PP but it is still unlikely that you can get any STBs (other than the HR54 and the C61K) replaced with a like model.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I'm not trying to talk anyone into getting it and I prefer if I don't get criticized for having it.
The only thing I'm criticizing is your apparent unwillingness to show how the PP is truly of benefit to you (which rightly includes the intangible of peace of mind).

I was hoping that you could offer more insight to help others make an informed decision about the value of the PP.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Hey I'm not an AT&T salesman. People can decide for themselves if they want it or not. I really don't care one way or the other if anyone has it or not.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Putting a 19 TV setup as anywhere near typical is silly. The fact that you go through a remote per month further solidifies the idea that you have an extraordinary setup. With such a setup, you can probably derive value from the PP but it is still unlikely that you can get any STBs (other than the HR54 and the C61K) replaced with a like model.
Never said I go thru a remote a month. Been a couple years since I had to order replacements.

I already addressed the lack of boxes being offered now as replacements when TPG changed rules last summer.

I also then indicated I’m likely to soon drop the PP for several reasons.

And now you think complex setups are silly.

Still waiting for your recommendation on a ‘complete’ SWM dish residential setup for all of my tuners that works, compared to what I have now.

·
Icon
3,873 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
And now you think complex setups are silly.
You're putting words into my fingers. I said that putting forth a 19 TV residential setup as an example of a typical configuration was silly.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
19 TVs with 5 remotes each IS pretty silly :).

But wouldn't this solve all your issues:

No, because-

-They won’t install on a residential account.
-MRV is limited compared to what I have now via the parallel SWM16’s.
-It would be $1K out of my pocket if I did with your suggestion.

·
Icon
1,663 Posts
Look...on the order document for the truck roll appointment on Saturday they have a charge on it for $99. At the bottom it is credited back. I was told on the phone that is because I have the protection plan, Maybe they were lying to me. I don't care.

But this morning DirecTV "advanced support" called and wanted to see if they could get the C61K problem fixed. It took them about an hour but they did get it added back in and working so the truck roll has been canceled and I don't have to swap any equipment out.

I prefer to have the protection plan because there are a lot of failure points in a DBS setup from the dish, lnb, cables, moisture, wall plugs, receivers, and remotes and I have no desire to try to fix something when it quits working. I keep it for my peace of mind. If anyone else doesn't want it by all means don't get it. I'm not trying to talk anyone into getting it and I prefer if I don't get criticized for having it. So please stop the BS.
I could have told you a tech wasn’t going to be able to fix that issue. Zero locations means your clients weren’t active in the system. Tech would have put you on phone with customer support to get client activated.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I tried to tell them that on Thursday but after almost 2 hours of them not being able to add it I relented to the tech coming. I was glad when "advanced tech" called back Friday to try again. It still took him almost an hour to get it added back in.

·
1,135 Posts
The Protection Plan obviously isn't an entertainment package.
I'm not offering an opinion on the package one way or the other. I'm simply trying to figure out how you derive value from it as there may be something there that others have overlooked.
I have the backlit remotes and they replaced 2 within a year no charge to me
Along with upgrading me to a genie 2 on the spot with no questions asked after an hr 54 failure. I get high winds at times so it pays for itself after needing a re point. Everyone's milage is different

·
1,135 Posts
These Protection Plan threads are all the same. Whenever someone says they subscribe to The Protection Plan people ridicule them for wasting their money. Those people need to be reminded that "One man's candy can be another man's poison" which means that The Protection Plan can be good for some and not good for others. For those who subscribe to The Protection Plan I say as long as it satisfies your need and does what you expected then it was worth the investment. I subscribe to The Protection Plan Premier + Accidental Damage from Handling. I do this because of the convenience it provides. I make a very handsome income and spend most of my money on women and booze. The rest I just squander so please don't anyone tell me I'm wasting my money. :)
Are these the ones that piss and moan when they have to pay the 99.00 fee for a service call

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Reactions: MysteryMan

·
Registered
884 Posts
If it isn't worth it to you then by all means don't get it. To me it is worth it to not have to beg to get a dvr replaced or get a remote when needed and the equipment upgrade every 2 years in case I need/want it. Yes I know they aren't making any new equipment but I have not upgraded to an HS17 yet so maybe some day I will want to. For $8.99 per month it is worth it to ME. I do not care if it is worth it to you or not.
Same here. I've had receivers replaced a number of times over the years. If I need a service call, I don't have to beg a CSR to schedule it.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts