Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have decided to go with D* due to the available programming options I am seeking.

I am not going to HD yet, but maybe next year. In the meantime, I am going with a DVR and a standard reciever.

Is the DirecTV Protection Plan considered a must have? I understand the DVRs have had some issues, I just don't want to have any issues for additonal out of pocket expenses.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions!!

Dave

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
Hello.

I have decided to go with D* due to the available programming options I am seeking.

I am not going to HD yet, but maybe next year. In the meantime, I am going with a DVR and a standard reciever.

Is the DirecTV Protection Plan considered a must have? I understand the DVRs have had some issues, I just don't want to have any issues for additonal out of pocket expenses.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions!!

Dave
I just asked this, got some good responses:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68262

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U,

I have limitations on what kinds of things I can do on my own, and as a result have been getting the Protection Plan for many years now.

Given that you are just signing up, the receivers/DVRs that you will be getting will be leased. As such the receiver or DVR is covered for problems under the lease agreement. But only the unit. Dish, cabling, multi-switches, etc. are not.

Also, the fact that you are just now signing up also means that the installation is guaranteed for 90 days. As such, you have a couple of months where you shouldn't necessarily need the additional protection.

When you sign up for the Protection Plan, there is a 30 day wait period before it takes full effect. You may want to factor that in if you want to wait to sign up.

After the 90 days from installation, if your dish goes out of alignment, there's a lightning strike, a switch or LNB goes bad, a squirrel chews through a cable, etc., etc., without the plan it would cost $70 for a service call and possibly more depending on what is wrong and how it needs to be fixed. Some people prefer to do this type of thing themselves, others do not.

If you definitely don't want to go out of pocket for anything and aren't the "Do It Yourself" type, I would definitely get the Protection Plan. If you feel you don't need it, then skip it.

One thing I'm not entirely sure of, but in the interest of being fully informed, there may be times when you may need to pay shipping costs for a replacement receiver (usually $19.95 plus tax). I do believe that even though the receiver is covered under the lease, shipping would still be charged to your account. I am not sure, but I think that may also be the case even if you are covered by the Protection Plan - I don't think shipping is necessarily waived just because you are covered. Maybe someone with first hand experience or one of the CSRs that contribute could answer that question.

I've got it, and have had to use it only a couple of times and not for any major equipment problems (one erroded cable issue, once for a realignment), so so far I think D* has gotten more money from me than what it would have cost me "a la carte", but I'm still keeping it.

It's really a personal choice.

Good Luck, Dave, on your new venture. I hope you have nothing but great experiences! And you are in the right place for D* information - I find this board quite valulable!

Mike

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike!

I appreciate the informative post.

I am faily technically saavy, but the DVRs scare me a bit. But, if they are covered for three months, we'll just see what that brings.

Thanks again guys!!

Dave

·
Banned
614 Posts
Your not required to pay shipping on protection plan.

On leased equipment that has to be returned because of deactivation, or cancellation, DirecTV covers the shipping because they send you out a prepaid return kit via FedEx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.