DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
kturcotte said:
There's something definitely wrong with the PI on my SWM. Does Directv cover that under the Protection Plan yet?
Not if you installed it.

They refused to replace my failed FTM unit.

But, hey, try CSR roulette. You may have better luck.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
OH yes they do. You will have to have it escalated to "case management". I had a bad PI. They brought me a new one and took the old one. The first person may not understand what you want. The case management people do. They will send someone there to bring you one. It is a D* part and can be replaced with the PP! Have a great day

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanna be absolutely sure before I call and spend an hour going over stuff with them, or shelling out he $31 solidsignal wants.

Setup:
SWM LNB runs into a 4 way splitter. 1 line goes to a D12, a 2nd runs to an H21, and the 3rd runs into the Power Inserter, and into another 3-way splitter, and then into 2 HR20s. Everything is rated and approved for SWM, and is had been going fine for probably 2-3 months before.

Problem started with the H21. Turn it on, there was guide data, info, you could access the menu, just no actual audio or video. Only way to fix it was a reset. Did this everyday for about a week.
Then both of my HR20s started doing the same. I thought I'd re-boot the PI, see if that did anything. I unplugged it, reset the receivers, and forgot to plug the PI back in. Everything worked fine though. All the receiver were getting audio and video. So I left it unplugged. Then the same thing started happening. I plugged it back in, and things are usually fine, though once in awhile it does lose signal on ALL satellites, and once in awhile the original problem creeps back up. I can't picture all 3 receivers are having the exact same problem at the same time, and they're the problem.
Also, the D12 has been ROCK SOLID ever since it was installed Absolutely NO problems whatsoever.
My other fear is it may be the SWM LNB, and I can't get that replaced at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
:confused:
"Something" is going on, but I'm not sure it's the PI. All of the receivers need to communicate with the SWM using a 2.3 MHz signal.
I agree that the receivers aren't the most likely cause.
Now having the system work without the PI powered, means one of the other receivers must have been outputting 18 volts, but the PI has a DC block, so it wasn't coming from those connected to it. The splitters "should" have been power passing on only one port [for the PI], so these [receivers] shouldn't have been able to power the SWM.
Back to: :confused:

Maybe some more info about your system would help.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
kturcotte said:
All cable was reinstalled about 2 years ago, all rated for 3 Ghz, not sure if it's solid copper though. Both splitters are Skywalker SKY23304D.
SWM LNB->Splitter->PI->Splitter->Receivers
Well since its an H21...try to put the H21 after the PI

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
kturcotte said:
All cable was reinstalled about 2 years ago, all rated for 3 Ghz, not sure if it's solid copper though. Both splitters are Skywalker SKY23304D.
SWM LNB->Splitter->PI->Splitter->Receivers
AHHH, I use those splitters and they are "power steering" [diode protected] so this is why the other receivers could power the SWM, though at only 18 volts [the PI does this at 29 volts].
Those splitters are "only" rated to 5 MHz, but have worked fine, since they do pass 2.3 MHz.
The solid copper shouldn't really be needed as the 29 volts from the PI can drop quite a bit before there is any problem.
I'd look to see that all of the connections are nice and dry and "snug". It doesn't really take much of a bad connection/connector to raise hell.

·
Legend
246 Posts
MIAMI1683 said:
OH yes they do. You will have to have it escalated to "case management". I had a bad PI. They brought me a new one and took the old one. The first person may not understand what you want. The case management people do. They will send someone there to bring you one. It is a D* part and can be replaced with the PP! Have a great day
From the location you list, it appears that you are in one of the SWM test markets. Is it possible that you just got lucky and the installers happned to have one locally?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
kturcotte said:
Not sure if it makes any difference, but I just used the SWM meter on an unused connector on my 2nd splitter. All LED's lit up fine. Did the second time as well.
While "that's good", I had issues with an H20 once and checked my connection with the SWM meter. All lights lit, but when I removed the splitter [not a Skywalker], the H20 worked fine. While the meter is better than nothing, it isn't as sensitive as it might be.
Now some things you might try:
A 3-way splitter is really a 2-way with another 2-way connected to one port. This means that the outputs are not equal, as they are with either a 2-way or a 4-way.
You might try swapping around the cables/receivers [on different ports] and see if this will help.
You're trying to find the levels for both the 2.3 MHz and the SWM channels that is in each receiver's range. Sometimes the level is too high and others have had to reconfigure using a splitter to lower the levels [this was with an H20].
Too bad "the meter" is just a "go/no go" LED.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,427 Posts
veryoldschool said:
Those splitters are "only" rated to 5 MHz, but have worked fine, since they do pass 2.3 MHz.
Somebody needs to check their units of measure. ;)

·
Legend
109 Posts
MIAMI1683 said:
You will have to have it escalated to "case management". I had a bad PI. They brought me a new one and took the old one. The first person may not understand what you want. The case management people do.
"Case Management" is not a department that you can ask something be escalated to. The agent's account management system automatically determines if the account qualifies and there's a few different criteria that need to be in play for an account to qualify to be sent there. Their purpose is to deal with situations where repeat service calls have not solved a problem. It isn't to handle things "regular" CSR's may not understand.

No amount of screaming or asking for supervisors or "CSR roulette" will get you to case management. And that's not a business rule that can be overridden, it's in the system by design.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
DiSH Defector said:
"Case Management" is not a department that you can ask something be escalated to. The agent's account management system automatically determines if the account qualifies and there's a few different criteria that need to be in play for an account to qualify to be sent there. Their purpose is to deal with situations where repeat service calls have not solved a problem. It isn't to handle things "regular" CSR's may not understand.

No amount of screaming or asking for supervisors or "CSR roulette" will get you to case management. And that's not a business rule that can be overridden, it's in the system by design.
You are correct "sort-of" having done this I will tell you how it worked. I had a bad PI that igot in the field test. Onve I pm'd tom he said call D*. So i called and got hte PP. I had to be patient with it. I do not yell, and I did not ask. i simply read from the label on the bottom of the PI. The lady at the PP ext. She out me on hold. "Case Management" called me back shortly after that call. SWM LNB's weren't out yet. When the tech arrived. He said " I was told to give you this" when we opened it it was a PI28. It had come via fedex. I gave him mine and we were all happy. It only took like 3 days. So it is possible to get to case management with out screaming or asking. Just explain your situation and be patient. You too can get it done

·
Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
MIAMI1683 said:
Well, you were lucky. Congrats!

They absolutely refused to replace my FTM, and I've had PP for over a year.

Told me since it was a self-install of "accessory equipment" to "go fish". I kept telling them it is D* equipment and has the D* logos, to no avail.

I would up getting a replacement at SS.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Kansas Zephyr said:
Well, you were lucky. Congrats!

They absolutely refused to replace my FTM, and I've had PP for over a year.

Told me since it was a self-install of "accessory equipment" to "go fish". I kept telling them it is D* equipment and has the D* logos, to no avail.

I would up getting a replacement at SS.
You should have conitnued through it. Simple. Im sorry they didn't help you more, but these are supported now. SWM LNB's only. regular SWm8's are still "on you" :eek2:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.